ATG wont stop packing up :( :(

Early in a game I thought it would be a good idea to move an ATG from the place where it started, even if it was going to move slowly, so I gave it a move order.

Then I realised that packing up was going to take 10 minutes itself!

So I told them to "deploy".

But every turn since then they keep packing up :( :(

GaJ

GAJ, you gave the unit an order to pack-up and then another order to deploy. You seem to believe that the second order should countermand the first, i.e. the unit will stop packing up and start to deploy immediately. I am not sure that is the case. In fact, I think the unit will obey the orders in sequence i.e. they will first pack up (taking however long it takes) then deploy (again taking however long it takes).

Aggravating, to be sure, but not a problem you will have more than once.

"Seem to believe"???

Bloody obviously the second order should countermand the first.

If I give a unit an order to "run over there" in one turn, and they get half way in that turn and I cancel the order and say "actually, stop here and deploy" I surely expect them to stop there and deploy. And if fact that is what happens.

This is the same with this ATG. I said "hey guys, go over there". Then I said "belay that, stay here and set up". Why would this be any different?

Don't patrionise me with "you won't do it again".

Maybe, maybe not... but if it's happening, that doesn't make it any less of a bug.

GaJ

I found a few things during my endless hours of AI plan testing for towed guns that may have bearing. Hope something helps. I have yet to test packing up, as just getting the AI to tow and deploy properly is enough to drive me mad.

1. IF any member of the crew is showing as 'moving', then deploy will not be initiated. They all have to be completely settled in before they start any other action. Tight spots in trees will make a single crewmember wander all over the county before finding a spot.

2. The crew members have a "deploying" action descriptor, which will let you know what they are doing. (edit... just a few deploy but everyone chips in to pack up)

3. The 'limbered' tag will stay until the moment the gun is fully operational.

4. The 'deploy' and 'pack up' times in the UI do not change during those actions. They are for reference only.

5. I will have to test the 'pack up' action to find out if it can be cancelled or not. Be back in a few...

EDIT - Back and I found GaJ's problem.

Test was conducted with German PaK 75mm.

"Pack up" CANNOT be cancelled. Once you tell them to pack it up, nothing short of death will stop that process.

Before we get the torches lit and the pitchforks sharpened, I have more info on the subject.. and an opinion or two.

ALTHOUGH you cannot cancel 'pack up', it is not the end of the world if you want to remain in place.

Once "PU" has been issued, you can press "deploy weapon"(light it back up) and give a target command.

The full pack up time is required ... BUT .... at the end of that time, the gun is back in action instantly and firing within seconds.

You do not have to re-deploy, with the time penalties involved.

So the bad news is... if you issue the "Pack Up" command by mistake you are hosed for the full time.

The good news is you can insta-deploy after paying the "oops" penalty.

Opinon time.

1. Unintentional on BFC's part. It may have fallen into the stuff that was at the tail end of dev resources... and didn't get checked. Any beta testers try to pack up and cancel during beta?

2. Coding issue that the brain in a jar didnt tell anyone about. Maybe it cannot be cancelled for some odd reason. Or, to reasonably calculate how to halt and reverse the process is more resource intensive than feasible.

3. From my perspective, I could live with it. You don't make a decision like packing up a camouflaged gun and bringing up transport lightly. Once you start that process, you have to do everything in reverse again to deploy again.

So as long as you change your mind after the halfway point of packing up, you are ahead of the game since there is no deploy time if you change during packing.

If you see a burning need to change before pack up time is done, well it kinda sucks to be you. I hear things like that happen in wartime. :) Be mindful of your surroundings.

-

It's great to have this analysis - thanks Sgt.

I think it's "wrong" still. If I say "oops" 1 minute after starting to pack up, there is no logical reason why I can't be deployed 1 minute later.

As it stands, I will have to wait 12 minutes (this is the pack-up delay). You have pointed out that at least I wont have to wait 17 minutes (pack up plus deploy).

GaJ

What if the first item pulled up is the aiming stake? Or the baseplate of a mortar is grabbed? Or the radio crystals needed to get on the FDC net? Etc.

I can make a lot of possible examples of how a 5 second act of dismantling can require 10 minutes to fix in order to have a gun set up.

However, having said that, it does seem that it shouldn't take a full dismantle followed by a full set up in order to get back in action.

Has anyone actually tested it?

Ken