Scenario Defense Starting set-up

For the designers: when you create a scenario, and assign starting positions to the defensive units, do you intend these to be used as is, or do you expect the player to move them? I tend to assume the former but have noticed that several scenarios start with a bombardment of the very positions that are occupied by the defense. This seems a little unfair, but maybe that is taken into account in the design of the play balance.

So, do you expect us to leave units in place, or are the starting positions simply a suggestion?

For other players, do you leave the set-up alone, or move units?

For the designers: when you create a scenario, and assign starting positions to the defensive units, do you intend these to be used as is, or do you expect the player to move them? I tend to assume the former but have noticed that several scenarios start with a bombardment of the very positions that are occupied by the defense. This seems a little unfair, but maybe that is taken into account in the design of the play balance.

So, do you expect us to leave units in place, or are the starting positions simply a suggestion?

I almost always move em. I basically assume I am going to see some Arty early on and try to account for that as much as I can. That can be regrettable at times. I have done some close looks at Bois de Baugin and the sighting for the AT guns for example at the normal start is pretty darn good. Moving them is a tough decision, but if you assume the enemy is going to know the start locations odds are they may rain down hell on that particular spot.

I always assume that my opponent has already played the scenario as the side I'm playing and thus knows my entire force mix and where they are deployed. When I set up I pick an open field and I then move my entire starting force into that field organized by platoons and companies. I then set up from scratch and create my own defensive scheme without any influence from the default deployment. It's a bit time consuming to do it that way, but it's the only way to make sure my deployment is fresh. Start by deploying heavy weapons such as AT guns, then deploy your HMGs, then last deploy your squads and fire teams. The heavy weapons are like the frame of your defense and the squads form the filler and bulk where needed.

Hello Cymru, Not knowing what is going to happen to your forces on the first move or so is part of the drama of the scenario.Very likely the scenario has left you with some options to survive the barrage. The correct application of those options is an essential part of the scenario. Nothing is fair in war. Wow what a game. Thats why I usually accompany my playing with a liberal portion of SpeyBurn.

When the defending side is assumed or designed to be played by a human player, I usually redeploy units to my taste, unless otherwise beeing advised in the scenario briefing (..but not always). Also depends highly on the to be assumed defenders initial situation.

When designing such a scenario I usually aim for both, a "suggested" setup that can be right jumped in for quick start AND a version that just has the setup zones with the defending units ordered nicely, so a player can overview and place units with comfort. The latter is particularly useful for players that do allways redeploy, but find it cumbersome and time consuming to sort out a very large given force.

I´d wish for a scenario trigger/flag, that allows a player either to use the "suggested", premade setup, or a "free setup" alternative, with forces nicely ordered, yet restricted to given setup zones.

I firmly believe all scenarios MUST have properly deployed forces for BOTH sides, and that the set-up zones should encompass all those units and allow a reasonable amount of extra space for adjustments.

I would recommend however that designers inform players in each side's briefing where they can find the senior HQ so that players wishing to redeploy can easily cycle through their OOB and thus redeploy logically.

As regards opening bombardments, either the designer should ensure that the defender has sufficient excess units to make it likely enough units will survive the enemy bombardment or if its the AI doing the bombarding, the registered target zone is big enough for the shells to fall randomly across the defended zone and not specifically in just the most likely spot.

Having looked at the 'support target' system in CM2 I don't think designers have any excuse for making unrealistically pinpoint accurate barrages.

I firmly believe all scenarios MUST have properly deployed forces for BOTH sides, and that the set-up zones should encompass all those units and allow a reasonable amount of extra space for adjustments.

I would recommend however that designers inform players in each side's briefing where they can find the senior HQ so that players wishing to redeploy can easily cycle through their OOB and thus redeploy logically.

As regards opening bombardments, either the designer should ensure that the defender has sufficient excess units to make it likely enough units will survive the enemy bombardment or if its the AI doing the bombarding, the registered target zone is big enough for the shells to fall randomly across the defended zone and not specifically in just the most likely spot.

Having looked at the 'support target' system in CM2 I don't think designers have any excuse for making unrealistically pinpoint accurate barrages.

Good points.

Re the senior HQ - the scenario designer can ensure that the opening camera shot is centered on the main HQ. For those who don't know how this is done, when you exit the unit set-up in the editor the camera viewpoint is the viewpoint the player will see when they open the scenario to deploy their units.

If you press the + key, the first unit that comes up is the senior HQ. Repeated pressings take you through the whole organization in sequence. At least that's how it's always worked for me.

Michael