When will Mac game work under Lion?

What are we looking for a clear-cut answer to? If it's whether or not installing multiple patches could cause problems (especially when the initial patch might have had permissions issues due to the OS) then the answer would be "yes".

Thank you, Phil. That sounds pretty definitive to me!

:)

Michael

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys - another update. That small patch from the DRM folks is making the game crash. We're referring back to them, and hopefully we'll get a solution from them fast. That'll likely push things back another day or two. I'm hoping they'll get it to us in time to put together the patch and test it over the weekend.

Let me know if you have questions.

Ok I've worked this out. The link at Battlefront.com to Gamefront.com for the revised patch (http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=281&Itemid=478 - link is http://www.gamefront.com/files/20584148/Combat_Mission_Battle_for_Normandy_1_01_Patch_OSX_zip) is actually a link to the OLD version of 1.01.

Of course with everything having the same version number it's impossible for anyone to tell without looking for the FPS number as pointed out by Phil and then downloading multiple copies and comparing dates on them. I'd suggest that the patch numbering system needs to be amended as it's going to impact customer experience and increase your support costs? In the interim can you at least publish MD5 hashes of what you expect the file to be so we can double check?

I'll install the amended file and report back on the stability

Thanks for your reports. Your crashes look precisely like the DRM problem that the DRM company is currently looking at. So hopefully we'll get an answer about that shortly.

Been away for a while ... ;)

Running a MacBook Pro with OSX Lion and I thought I'd try CM Normandy (Demo), so I downloaded it...

Click to start and it simply opens a white box and nothing else happens ....

Saw there was a patch titled 1.01 for CM Normandy, which I downloaded and installed. Now, it wants a serial number or asks me to buy the game right now.

Don't want to buy anything until I see the demo run, which I re-installed, but it still won't do anything except open up a blank white box and sit there ....

Suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback... :)

Regards,

Doug

Been away for a while ... ;)

Running a MacBook Pro with OSX Lion and I thought I'd try CM Normandy (Demo), so I downloaded it...

Click to start and it simply opens a white box and nothing else happens ....

Saw there was a patch titled 1.01 for CM Normandy, which I downloaded and installed. Now, it wants a serial number or asks me to buy the game right now.

Don't want to buy anything until I see the demo run, which I re-installed, but it still won't do anything except open up a blank white box and sit there ....

Suggestions?

Hey guys. The DRM patch didn't come until yesterday. Happily, it appears to have fixed the issues they were having. I've been putting together our testing build and we'll get it tested this weekend. Hopefully early next week we'll have something for you guys.

When the patch comes, will it be the third v1.01 patch or a v1.02 for the Mac or a v1.02 for everyone?

I would very much prefer v1.02 for everyone even if it would just bump the version number for the PC. Then everyone would be on the same version and thus greatly reduce confusion.

Hey guys. The DRM patch didn't come until yesterday. Happily, it appears to have fixed the issues they were having. I've been putting together our testing build and we'll get it tested this weekend. Hopefully early next week we'll have something for you guys.

And Phil if you ask me, patch runs slower than 1.00 (graphics). Maybe is just me... ;)

Do you have the latest patch, with the FPS numbers? The early 1.01 patch had so many problems I wouldn't be shocked by other issues.

As far as benchmarks it looks like the frame rates are roughly the same between the 1.01 I'm running right now and 1.00. Also, nothing's changed since then that would change that... but if you can find someplace where performance seems way off send me a save and I'll do what I can.

Thanks again, Phil. And be assured that while some posters do get crabby, the vast majority of us really appreciate your efforts and especially that you work closely with us and try to keep us informed of developments.

Thanks very much, Michael.

I should have answered this the other night, actually, but I've been banging away on the installer for the patch, and Apple installers are always kind of... heads-down. Lots of fun-filled days of debugging and cursing. Building a patcher on OSX is a bit like negotiating a trap-filled obstacle course with several false endings and some extraordinarily large dogs chasing you.

Here's hoping I can finally knock it out tonight. Early this coming week should still happen unless tonight is filled with spectacular failure. I'll let you guys know.

Ye gods! And I always thought that the Mac had the reputation of being (relatively) easy to write code to.

Oh my aching sides. Hahahhahahaha!

Sorry Michael but as a life-long programmer that has done some hard graft programming Macs, I found that very funny. All platforms have their quirks, but Apple have a history of being, er, not exactly helpful to developers.

cheers

Lion has been... disappointing.

In my experience Apple is only "friendly" to developers when a) the developers' needs coincide directly with Apple's or B) the technology in question is more than one year old and less than 3 years old (and neither of these circumstances are guarantees). Otherwise the documentation is poor, the functionality isn't functional, and the tools are broken.

It's... occasionally daunting.