When will Mac game work under Lion?

Game sits on my shelf for over week since I upgraded to Lion. Two work around fixes I was sent did not work. It was mentioned that fix for Lion and other Mac bugs was coming soon days ago - now? Disappointing how the Mac side of the CMBN house is being treated to say the least. Not only are there bugs specific to Mac and you still can't get it Lion compatible, but there is little updated info on your status on these showstoppers for your Mac base.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I heard BFC were working hard on some additional issues with the Lion OS. I imagine, all going well, that there should be a patch early/mid next week.

They also need to fix a few other small issues with the Mac keystrokes, menu display, and possibly unit behaviour. I doubt that they want to create 2 separate patches - hence the delay.

thanks for info - as I said in another post, I'm just itching to get back to learning and playing. One patch to get back to level playing field with the PC version is worth the wait as I've not had luck with the work arounds offered by well intentioned (and timely delivered) support.

They also mentioned that their DRM is provided by a third party, which is also working on a Mac specific fix. I guess none of these issues came up during the long Lion beta phase, or nobody bothered to check...

Both the app and DRM were tested under several Lion builds, by us and the DRM company, and it's the former - these problems did not come up.

However, patching - and the app being "upgraded" along with existing SL systems to Lion - were not tested. These - and the permissions changes involved in both of those - appear to be causing of the bulk of the problems.

And yes, we're hard at work producing a patch.

They also need to fix a few other small issues with the Mac keystrokes, menu display, and possibly unit behaviour. I doubt that they want to create 2 separate patches - hence the delay.

Menu display, xian? Which one is that?

There aren't any unit behavior fixes coming - there were a couple of bugs in the first 1.01 patch, which caused some map-related AI problems, which were fixed in the later patch.

Game sits on my shelf for over week since I upgraded to Lion. Two work around fixes I was sent did not work. It was mentioned that fix for Lion and other Mac bugs was coming soon days ago - now? Disappointing how the Mac side of the CMBN house is being treated to say the least. Not only are there bugs specific to Mac and you still can't get it Lion compatible, but there is little updated info on your status on these showstoppers for your Mac base.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, Michael. I've answered every Mac bug report thread I've seen with updates, and I've tried mightily to personally answer all of the many, many Lion-based help desk reports and emails we've gotten, all while fixing code, fixing our patch installer, getting all of that tested, and working with our DRM company to help them get *their* part of the fix ready for prime time. If you'd like daily updates or something - ask a question in a Mac thread and you'll most likely get an answer. I'm not going to go rolling around and posting a reply in EVERY Mac thread and help desk report every day to the effect of "we're still working on it".

Honestly I'm kind of insulted. I think I do a good job of making sure the "Mac side of the house" isn't neglected, and I think I provide a very personal level of service to our Mac customers. I'm not required to do that - I could let the testers and help desk staff handle it, but instead I invite emails and questions and suggestions and I try to answer them all personally, including help desk requests. It would certainly allow me more time with my family if I didn't do all that, though. Perhaps I shouldn't, especially if people are going to completely ignore it and say the Mac version of CM doesn't get adequate support.

Phil

My first response of which this is a re-write was an attempt to rationalize my post. In reading my original post again after some prayer, it is obvious I was very rude and unbecoming. Period. I let my frustration in not being able to play the game I was just starting to learn turn me into a rude fool - yet again, and over a game at that. No excuses. Please accept my apologies. Thank you for all your good work. I'd be happy to send some $$ for dinner for you and family in recompense for my rudeness if you'd PM me an address.

michael

I'm not going to start a thread for every major bug. There could be dozens at any given time. If there are threads for bugs, I will respond to them.

Michael - I wasn't terribly insulted. Just kind of. I put a lot of effort into making sure Mac customers get personal responses. I don't expect sympathy or recompense - I think you guys deserve it, so I provide it. The idea that my current level of support might invite the comment "Disappointing how the Mac side of the CMBN house is being treated to say the least" did make me wonder whether it's worth it, though. The fact that you meant my *product* and not my support doesn't do much to soften the blow, I have to say, but it makes more sense. Yes, we have a different and unique set of problems and probably always will as long as Apple does things the way they do.

And no, I a) have no desire for you to stop asking about the game, nor do I B) want you to send me money for dinner. Thanks for the offer, though. :)

I went back and was editing my response to your post when you replied I think, Phil. :) I caught myself kinda half-assedly apologizing while rationalizing.

Sorry again.

michael

Thanks, Michael, for thinking it over and deciding to talk about it further. I know it's a frustrating situation. And the internet makes communicating more difficult to boot, especially when emotion is involved, like mine was. I really admire your ability to reflect and then have the guts to act on it.

So - I think all's well that ends well. In terms of compensation - if you're ever in the Bay Area drop me a line and we'll meet up for your beverage of choice. A good chat and a cup of something with someone that plays CM puts me in a better mood than dinner out with my otherwise adorable brood, and a dad in a good mood is a good dad. :)

I have upgraded to Lion and am experiencing the challenges that others have as well. Phil has "e-d" me back and forth in an attempt to fix these areas and I believe he and the rest of the staff are hard at work to do so. I know we want the fix yesterday but as Star Trek's Scotty said (and I know this is not an exact quote but its close) ' the more intricate the plumbing the easier it is to plug it up'. I am 63 years old have been wargaming since pewter soldiers and GHQ 1/285 scale micro armor. Lets cut Phil and the staff some slack and if it takes a little longer to get this right, as there is probably a bazillion lines of code, then so be it.

Seems to me every time OSX is upgraded software forums get lots of postings wondering why software has problems on the new OS. My experience of Mac OSX is that ever since 10.0 -> 10.1 (nearly ten years ago) there have been problems with existing applications failing to work after an upgrade. Not every application of course but so many that unless I can't live without the features of the next OS (e.g. Lion) or software I desperately need won't run on anything other than the new OS I won't upgrade.

The issues so many applications face with an OS upgrade are usually a result of Apple deciding to tweak something under the hood.

Live and learn - I will not upgrade to Lion until at least 10.7.3 or 10.7.4 is released and I know the apps I depend on are fine on it. 10.6.8 works perfectly OK for me.

what system are you running on and what graphics card. How much memory? Its not working for you?

Specs are not the problem. It's the DRM, which won't let the game run. I'm just surprised it was working for some, as I figured the DRM didn't work with Lion. I knew CM didn't work with Lion when I updated, but I wanted to update due to my job supporting macs at work. Since it's the only program I have that's been a problem in Lion, I'm fine with waiting for the fix. Hopefully, it's not too much longer!

Seems to me every time OSX is upgraded software forums get lots of postings wondering why software has problems on the new OS. My experience of Mac OSX is that ever since 10.0 -> 10.1 (nearly ten years ago) there have been problems with existing applications failing to work after an upgrade. Not every application of course but so many that unless I can't live without the features of the next OS (e.g. Lion) or software I desperately need won't run on anything other than the new OS I won't upgrade.

The issues so many applications face with an OS upgrade are usually a result of Apple deciding to tweak something under the hood.

Live and learn - I will not upgrade to Lion until at least 10.7.3 or 10.7.4 is released and I know the apps I depend on are fine on it. 10.6.8 works perfectly OK for me.

Yep. Though I do feel compelled to point out that it's not difficult to find incidents of compatibility issues when new versions of Windows come out too. IIRC, with CMSF, there were all sorts of issues when Vista came out.

Of course, WRT CM specifically, the mother of all OS upgrade clusterf*cks would be Apple's abandonment of QuickDraw3D/RAVE when they went from OS9 to OSX... a move that completely screwed over BFC and many Mac players of CM. I'm not at all surprised it's taken this long for BFC to test the Mac version the waters again after that debacle.