When will Mac game work under Lion?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you download the 1.01B patch from ? While the links indicate where to get it from, it's quite possible that NONE of the sites actually have it up yet.

The white text in the lower right hand corner suggests that you have the 1.01 7/21 patch instead (which is what some sites like Atomicgamer seem to have up still - for those that even have that).

Where did you download the 1.01B patch from ? While the links indicate where to get it from, it's quite possible that NONE of the sites actually have it up yet.

The white text in the lower right hand corner suggests that you have the 1.01 7/21 patch instead (which is what some sites like Atomicgamer seem to have up still - for those that even have that).

I downloaded the 1.01b patch (Mac) and the arrow keys see to move in the right directions now, but I thought they were supposed to be fine control of the movements?

These are still pretty coarse and the mouse moves very quickly?

Thanks ...

By the way, got it from GamersHell and it is marked as 1.01b both on their site and also the download file itself...

Regards,

Doug

No, you shouldn't have white text. That was removed in 1.01B. If you installed 1.01B and your game is running, that's the ticket.

No adjustments were made to speed of keyboard movement. That may come in a future patch. This patch was purely to fix bugs.

No, you shouldn't have white text. That was removed in 1.01B. If you installed 1.01B and your game is running, that's the ticket.

No adjustments were made to speed of keyboard movement. That may come in a future patch. This patch was purely to fix bugs.

Great, it seems to be working.

I did have a fleeting problem with the view number keys. I was at view level 1 and pressed '5' and the view changed but as soon as I let go it shot back down to '1'. After a while it started working again and I haven't been able to recreate it.

Cheers

Thanks for the hard work on the patch Phil. I've installed 1.01B and the game now starts (hoorah). I load the first scenario and it crashes (boo). Crashfile is in ticket JKS-225410.

Given how much patching has gone on, I'm going to uninstall and reinstall and patch straight to 1.01B to see if this corrects the issue.

Yep, I mentioned that in the Mac README - chances are excellent that old saves (and almost certainly old PBEM files) will NOT work with the 1.01 patches.

What video card do you have on your Mac, Stormcrow?

Okay. The original 1.01 patch was - possibly due to permissions issues - pretty damaged. The more recent 1.01 saves should be compatible, but I... basically wouldn't be surprised by *anything* reported from the original patch. I would wager that it was producing bad saves for many people.

Edit: And thanks for replying to the help desk ticket - it's very helpful.

Ok I have a suspicion that any save games etc from an earlier version are not compatible with this version as they crash. However following the reinstall I'm now seeing no 3d models for infantry which is odd. I just saw a floating weapon and a helmet. Vehicles look fine so far. Any suggestions Phil?

I'm having the same issue after the B patch. I tried a fresh install and then the B patch also, but still inf do not render, just their weapons and some helmets.

This is my sys info:

Processor 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 (11B26)

Since Phil mentioned he was having trouble with file permissions. I decided to try running CM with my admin account to see if the behavior was any different. However, when trying to launch with my admin account, I only got a blank screen and could not progress to the main menu. So I tried a finder copy of the CM folder to the admin account's home directory. That copy launched fine and infantry rendered also.

The next step I did was to go back to my regular user account and do a finder copy to my home directory. That copy worked fine, so I finder copied that back to the Applications folder and now everything is working normally. So there still seems to be some permission issues with the update possibly related to users that don't run the admin account by default.

The following is something that Phil came up with. You can possibly try this first BEFORE reinstalling the game to see if it will help (this may not cover all permissions issues):

It appears that many odd problems with the game (invisible soldiers, and other oddities and inconsistencies) stem from OS X permissions - if for some reason the game couldn't access some of the data files, you could end up with odd results like these. Please make sure the permissions inside the application are at least consistent:

1) Right-click on the CMBN application. Select "Show Package Contents".

2) In the window that pops up, right click on the Contents folder and select "Get Info".

3) In the Info window, click the lock in the lower right hand corner. Enter your password at the prompt. This should "open" the lock.

(The permissions for Contents should look fairly normal.)

4) Click the gear button at the bottom of the Info window and select "Apply to enclosed items".

5) "Close" the lock. Close the Info window.

6) Try to run CMBN.

You can also try the Disk Utility that comes with OS X and run the Repair Permissions (which may or may not do much in this case).

Yep. What it comes down to is OSX doesn't have consistent permissions. Some of our testers don't even "own" pieces of their own home directories - programs they run don't have write access to directories they're required to have write access to. We use Apple's recommended installer and file permissions but unfortunately they don't always work.

So! The upshot of all this is we go inside the application package itself and force all components to have the same (i.e. your default) permissions. It seems to be working so far. I'm sorry that it has to be done like that.