v1.00 PBEMs do NOT work with v1.01

I was under the expression (prepatch) that it would work. Maybe I was confused by what 'command phase' means(*).

There is the option to install both versions in parallel so this is just a slight disapointment and inconvenience.

But it should have been noted prominently that that does not work for PBEMs! PBEMs is all I do and I already have sent out some moves (some saves work, some don't) and have to pull everything back and redo them. :(

(*) im referring to that:

PREVIOUS SAVE GAME COMPATIBILITY NOTE:

Save games from v1.00 ARE COMPATIBLE with v1.01, provided that you save your turn-based games in the COMMAND phase (not the replay phase) before upgrading to v1.01.

That's interesting c3k, In the only PBEM I have tried to upgrade I am on the same side and my opponent said the file wouldn't load.

Going by that admittedly small sample I would assume the upgrade has to be done by the player that generates the movie playback.

Agreed. Since it is possible for PBEM's to be upgraded in the midst of a battle to v1.01, it just remains to find out why some players are having issues doing this.

It is either an issue with WHICH player loads the v1.00 saved game and then runs it under v1.01, or it is a specific issue with the players who are having problems.

Weirdness. I can't open your latest turn. It crashes to the desktop during loading.

I assume this is because of us updating during the game, although you might try running the turn again to regenerate it. Maybe it got corrupted in the mail.

If that doesn't work, feel free to open my turn as "xxxxxx" and see if you can hotseat us to a ceasefire. I expect you to win this one, but I'd love to know the score.

Well there you go. And given we are 5 minutes past the end of the game ....

And I cannot do it either so it looks like turn 131 needs to be the saved file in the new version.!

Would the following procedure work:

with v1.00: load PBEM, watch film, end film, save as .bts

with v1.01: load saved game, give orders, press red button to save .ema

Is that correct? Or is it better to finish all games in v1.00?

Just been sent a file from James and it crashes my game just kills it with no message after waiting for game to load, I don't even get Password screen. Jim opened it in 1.00 saved it and then upgraded and then opened file did his moves and hit the compute button. I have just opened pre 1.01 games and they opened OK but could not watch video but could hit compute and created a send file... Anyone else have similar issues?

SOLUTION

If you see the film first you cannot do the switcheroo. It has to be done the player who goes orders then film.

My oppo having patched I asked him to reply to turn 131 and he sent 132 which worked on my machine and I was able to send 133 and we finished on 134/135 with the victory file.

The seq we tried was James loaded into version 1.0 watched the vid and then saved. closed game and loaded patch. Then open game and open save do orders and then hit compute. So he did watch vid in v1.0 so he then had opportunity to save it?

Is this what you mean?

Just to confirm what Holien has stated.

He sent me file 34. I watched the vid, hit the go button to enter the command phase, then saved - giving file 35.

I applied the patch successfully, loaded file 35, gave my orders and hit the go button as normal, which generated file 36. I renamed this 35 to maintain our number sequence and sent it to Holien. That is the file that he cannot open.

It comes up with load screen and load bar and when reaches 100% kills the game and I get no error messages it just kills it and takes me back to window screen. I check for apps and CMBN is not running any ore and no hang over processess. I have re-booted machine after upgrade to see if that clears memory.

Looks like file has corruption to kill the whole App with no errors...

Could someone from BFC please explain if and how one can make the transition of a PBEM from v1.00 to v1.01?

In CMSF this what you do (and since it's the same engine this will work with 99% probability for CMBN as well).

You open the 1.00 PBEM turn in CMBN 1.00; then you watch the movie and click the red button to go the orders phase; save the game in orders phase. Move the save game to the save game folders in 1.01 CMBN, load it and play it and send the resulting PBEM turn to you opponent.

A nice trick is that you can keep different versions of the game on your HDD by simply copying the whole CMBN folder.

Just to confirm what Holien has stated.

He sent me file 34. I watched the vid, hit the go button to enter the command phase, then saved - giving file 35. I applied the patch successfully, loaded file 35, gave my orders and hit the go button as normal, which generated file 36. I renamed this 35 to maintain our number sequence and sent it to Holien. That is the file that he cannot open.

Yes I played around with re-numbering and saving part watched etc. also to no useful end

So finally :

By sending a v1.00 turn - in this case 131 where I had watched and done my move.

In all honesty my oppo could have run any previous clean turn I had sent in V1,

My oppo using V1.01 watched the film and then did orders and saved 132 and everything worked fine after that.

best of luck.

Hmmm we are trying that now. Jim can watch the video of the V1.00 game I sent him and he is now seeing if it will take orders and save / send to me... Doing it the other way produced a corrupted file or something that kills the game. I am hoping it will work as you have just described....

Hmmm we are trying that now. Jim can watch the video of the V1.00 game I sent him and he is now seeing if it will take orders and save / send to me... Doing it the other way produced a corrupted file or something that kills the game. I am hoping it will work as you have just described....

I just tried and my opponent confirmed that the method I typed works (in our case).

Still having problems with Jim and his file despite me now doing the upgrade and Jim being able to see / load the file I have sent him. Is there anyone here who could test his file for me to see if it loads OK on their machine? If it does then I know my PC is the issue.

Not that anyone offered to take the file off me, but this is no longer needed when I had clocked my opponent had sent same corrupt file rather than the new one from me upgrading the game. Once he found the proper file it loaded OK.

So yes you only need one player to load the file into V1.0 and save it then reload it into V1.01 issue orders and send to opponent who can have just upgraded straight to V1.01.

Jim says he followed this process and we ended up with a game killing save file.

I followed the process and we got a game playing file. Not sure what the difference is...

Maybe Age and computer tech ability? ;)

Good job he is a PBEM player and some distance away!!! :)