Zigzag move

I've drawn a little map to test some weird movements I noticed.

Two dirt roads, one headed North-South, the other headed Northeast-Southwest.

Two similar infantry units ordered to run on the road (heavy forest tiles surrounded by water because they seem to avoid the road, otherwise).

The unit running on the diagonal road appears to be like stuck in the mud, making incessant zigzag moves.

To cover a distance of 60m, it takes one whole minute instead of 30 seconds for the unit running in a straight line.

in open terrain, no such problem appears.

Diagonal bridges seem to produce very similar behavior (I noticed this by driving a truck on the roads of a map i'm working on).

No need for defending the bridge; simply crossing it is an absolute nightmare...

zigzagv.jpg

When bridges are concerned, all bets are off. Sometimes, just getting a tank to cross one is an exercise in futility.

As for the infantry, it sounds like they are simply trying to get through the heavy woods tile, although their actions sounds more like trying to cross a marsh tile.

When bridges are concerned, all bets are off. Sometimes, just getting a tank to cross one is an exercise in futility.

As for the infantry, it sounds like they are simply trying to get through the heavy woods tile, although their actions sounds more like trying to cross a marsh tile.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the original posters meaning, but in regards to the diagonal road it sounds like he has placed the road, and then placed heavy woods to either side and then placed water to outer edges of the heavy woods.

So, to my mind, the question is why are they acting like they are in any terrain except the road, when they have been given orders to travel along the road? If they are acting like they are in the heavy woods or marsh, why?

I thought he used the heavy forest as the road itself...if not, I don't know why they would act that way, either.

Without actually seeing it, no offense but I don't even know that they have been told to run on the road. The whole question of waypoints and roads has been discussed ad nauseum, but if the path is just a waypoint at the end of the road are we sure that equates to they have been told to run ON the road.

Haven't tried it myself, but is it possible the path they are taking has them actually hitting action points on the terrain tiles not part of the road?

After some testing, it appears that the problem occurs only with the dirt and gravel roads.

Infantry avoid if possible to move on those roads.

When in open terrain, infantry will move off the road.

If there is an obstacle (wall, building, bocage...) along the road, the unit will follow the roadside, resulting in the zigzag move when in diagonal.

When the path becomes narrow enough to prevent the unit from walking on the roadside, the unit uses the middle of the road without any zigzag move.

On the screenshot, two similar units were given the exact same order (in french though...), and it's obvious that the one on the left progressing in the narrow street moves much faster than the one on the right, which has more room.

zigzag3.jpg

Oh Gawd, bridges plain suck in their current state. The terrain is very rarely fitted to them, all funky and sharp looking and nothing wants to actually use them. I hope BF os working on them for upcomming patches.