Tank Damage Question

In a battle now where I have about 10 panthers, 4 tigers.2 of the 4 tigers guns are knocked out and 2 of the 10 panthers guns are knocked out.Not complaining, but would this be a normal ratio of knocked out guns to tanks or just a bit of bad luck?

What scenario is this? Sounds like fun.

Dont forget that 'gun hit' doesn't mean 'hits on the gun', it means anything that takes out (or could) inhibit the gun's ability to fire or target. Thus dont think literally shell hitting the barrel (although once in a while it will mean this. Most times the hit will take out optics, or at least misalign them, or jar the mantlet and inhibit elevation/recoil. Panthers and Tigers can hit targets at 1km plus. That takes relatively sophisticated gear, and bouncing a HE shell off the tank turret (say) rarely actually improves that sort of thing...

"Weapon" hits , as they are labeled in CMBN, ALWAYS disable the main gun in my experience. And by "experience" I mean seeing hundreds of impacts in gunnery range tests. Certainly, if there is any chance of a weapon hit not disabling the main gun it must be very small.

"Weapon" hits , as they are labeled in CMBN, ALWAYS disable the main gun in my experience. And by "experience" I mean seeing hundreds of impacts in gunnery range tests. Certainly, if there is any chance of a weapon hit not disabling the main gun it must be very small.

I see weapon hits from MG fire that do little or nothing to effect gun performance. But yeah, larger caliber stuff should be very detrimental.

Michael

I've read others comment/complain about this and I'm scratching my head. I have never got a tank gun knockout while playing a scenario. I was beginning to think that was one of those annoying CMx1 'features' they had dropped! Maybe I'm just the luckiest player around. I don't mean dead optics, I always manage to lose my optics. :)

Of course a weapon needs to be capable of inflicting damage to count. I've never seen small arms or machine gun fire damage anything on a tank in CMBN.

Testing on Tigers and Panthers shows that about 11-14% of hits on the turret from head-on will be a weapon hit.

If I don't remember wrong this has been talked about in the CMSF forum part a long time back. The conclusion is simple really.

Look at the turret front. The barrel, mounting. the holes for the optics etc makes up maybe 1/4 of the whole turret area. So Any round that does hit the front part of the turret has a great chance of hitting something specific to the guns function...

There was allot of complains of M1s getting their guns whacked in the beginning of CMSF times to.

So.... "Its been like this since CMSF" :D

In a battle now where I have about 10 panthers, 4 tigers.2 of the 4 tigers guns are knocked out and 2 of the 10 panthers guns are knocked out.Not complaining, but would this be a normal ratio of knocked out guns to tanks or just a bit of bad luck?

Were the tanks that got gun damage hull down? I have this nagging feeling that being hull down with a panther or tiger might be detrimental if your opponents are close enough for precise hitting and most hits are on or close to the gun.