Re-joining squads

IIRC I never had an issue with merging split squads in SF. But getting the 2 man teams to rejoin in Normandy is hit or miss.

Even if I issue move orders to both parent unit and 2man team to same action spot, much of the time they stay separate. It has something to do with a multi-fireteam parent, spreading over multiple action spots. Even sending the 2 man team to both actionspots the parent squad is occupying ( pausing long enough for a merge to happen) doesn't work.

When this does happen, the only way I have found to remerge is to split the parent unit so each sep unit is 1 fire team, then send them all to the same action spot.

This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does breaking down the parent is the only way I can fix it. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Yes, I find it hit and miss too. Makes me more reluctant to split up squads than I'd like. The way I was doing it is to give both teams a move order to the same spot but even then it doesn't work that often. Just sending one team to a spot the other is already occupying works even less of the time. Anyway, thats useful info about splitting into three fireteams and rejoining. Guess I'll start doing that if it's more reliable.

I've seen this too. Quite often in fact. Last time it happened I had split of recon teams from two squads, and one re-joined happily while the other refused. It remained detached from its parent squad for the remainder of the scenario. I need to go back and check if there was some sort of visible state differences between the squad that refused a re-join and the one that didn't.

These posts puzzle me as I have never had any problem reforming teams back into their original squad.

Are you sure you have teams from the same squad? It's easy to confuse their nomenclature and try to reform teams from different squads - which does not work of course.

I concur that it's hit or miss. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Sometimes its instant. Sometimes they steadfastly refuse to rejoin. And sometimes they re-join when you've given up trying to get them to. Definitely not mixing my squads up. Can't see a pattern to the do they/don't they circumstances.

These posts puzzle me as I have never had any problem reforming teams back into their original squad.

Are you sure you have teams from the same squad? It's easy to confuse their nomenclature and try to reform teams from different squads - which does not work of course.

Yes I am positive. Like I said, I can get them to merge after I break the parent unit into fire teams.

I almost always split off a scout or AT team to run back for supplies and they have always remerged ok. Maybe it's a question of whether they are under fire??

Nope. I've had trouble with remerges before the recce troops 200m up the road have even seen a "?" and no incoming fire has been registered at all.

Aye. It's not every time mind you.

I am not sure if it happens with Germans, which don't have a 3rd fire team. If it does, my theory is wrong.

Main reason I thought it had to do with 3 fire teams is I have yet to see it fail when I split the parent unit, and issue orders for all 3 teams to merge at a single action spot.

I have a save I made when the issue prompted me to come to the forums. When I am done with the mission I currently am on I'll post SS.

I have had a different but possibly related problem lately. During setup, I wanted to move a platoon HQ from one halftrack to another one, but it would not go into the new one, even though there were enough empty seats to accommodate it. The first HT I tried it with already had a pair of MG teams in it, so I thought that even though there were enough seats, maybe the equipment was taking up the available room. So I tried again with an HT with just a squad in it and it was still no go.

Michael

I have had a different but possibly related problem lately. During setup, I wanted to move a platoon HQ from one halftrack to another one, but it would not go into the new one, even though there were enough empty seats to accommodate it. The first HT I tried it with already had a pair of MG teams in it, so I thought that even though there were enough seats, maybe the equipment was taking up the available room. So I tried again with an HT with just a squad in it and it was still no go.

Michael

Did you dismount the HQ from the halftrack first?

Did you dismount the HQ from the halftrack first?

Yeah, you can't pick a unit up from one vehicle and drop it straight into another, even if there's room. You have to get the unit out of its current ride and then you can mount it in another vehicle with enough empty spaces.

Yeah, you can't pick a unit up from one vehicle and drop it straight into another, even if there's room.

Yes you can, at least some of the time because I did it several times during the set up phase of this game.

You have to get the unit out of its current ride and then you can mount it in another vehicle with enough empty spaces.

I tried that too and it didn't work in this and a couple of other cases. Fact is, at the moment this mechanism is behaving erratically.

Added: One more thing I noticed was that if the camera angle was such that the unit icon was not seen as within the set up zone, even though all the relevant units were, it would not work. I would have to shift to a more directly overhead angle to get it to work.

Michael

This team reforming issue is bizarre as I have never experienced that phenomenon.

You are absolutely sure the teams are from the same squad and they are on exactly the same waypoint?

... I am often more correct than Michael Emrys