Slope Effect - vehicle charts and spreadsheet

Hello Marco:

Great. I assume I will use the same link for the updated file, i.e. you are not talking about it being uploaded to the Repository or somewhere else.

Thanks again,

Gerry

The first blue box with 75mm in it ( A8 ) controls the entire spreadsheet. Change that to whatever calibre you want to check against.

You might want to re-download the spreadsheet. I changed it this morning to correct a few errors.

I see Marco continues to impress folks beyond his killer artwork!

Just one question: Where in the h*ll you need all that info in the game?

Ah... the eternal debate between the "data dudes" and "game guys" :) The short answer to your question is nobody needs this info in the game in order to play it. That's why the game doesn't provide data like this.

Some players, however, definitely want this sort of data. For them it's some combo of scientific interest and a basis for making more informed tactical decisions. While the sort of data Marco's sheets produce can't be practically utilized with that degree of precision, it definitely can help someone determine what the likely outcome between two particular vehicles might be. Others, however, get this sort of sense through intuition based on general knowledge and previous game experience.

It is our intention to eventually provide more data like this to players. We just have to put aside the time to do it right. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Steve

I see Marco continues to impress folks beyond his killer artwork!

Ah... the eternal debate between the "data dudes" and "game guys" :) The short answer to your question is nobody needs this info in the game in order to play it. That's why the game doesn't provide data like this.

Some players, however, definitely want this sort of data. For them it's some combo of scientific interest and a basis for making more informed tactical decisions. While the sort of data Marco's sheets produce can't be practically utilized with that degree of precision, it definitely can help someone determine what the likely outcome between two particular vehicles might be. Others, however, get this sort of sense through intuition based on general knowledge and previous game experience.

It is our intention to eventually provide more data like this to players. We just have to put aside the time to do it right. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Steve

Would be quite silly to see a bazooka crew arguing in the bocage something like this:

- G'damn put those papers away and reload this bazooka so I can try to kill that Panther that's going to kill us in 5 seconds...

- No use shooting it, these papers say that when the angle of attack is x and the armour thickness is y and the heat penetration is z it's not going to kill it because there is 1mm too much armour...

- BOOM!

Hello:

You obviously don't want/need this data beatmasta so you are good to go already. Others want it and as someone mentioned it can be valuable when considering ranges to engage at and so on.

Take care,

Gerry

Just one question: Where in the h*ll you need all that info in the game?

There is an obvious solution. Include all this information in all its detailed luster, but it has to remain LOCKED away. The only way to unlock that particular piece of information would be to have one of your in-game units to have already tried that angle/range combination.

Take the bazooka example, above: AFTER the bazooka tries for the 100 meter frontal shot against the Panther, then allow the player to see the 100 meter frontal penetration stats for bazooka vs. Panther.

See? Now everybody's happy!

;)

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Marco:

Just noticed the Stug IIIG Mid has a front turret of 120 while the Stug IIIG Late has a value of 80. Just wondering is that a mistake?

Also is there an online source for some data like this that one could use to educate themselves? (I realize you used reference books and a calculation.)

Thanks again,

Gerry

Just noticed the Stug IIIG Mid has a front turret of 120 while the Stug IIIG Late has a value of 80.

I used the mantlet value for the Stugs for the turret front since they are so prominent. The Mid has the thick, cast saukopf mantlet , the Late has the square box 80mm thick mantlet.

Also is there an online source for some data like this that one could use to educate themselves?

http://www.onwar.com/tanks/index.htm

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/achtung-panzer-sitemap