Gourbesville - working title

Hi!

I'm working on small village of Gourbesville scenario. US 82nd airborne (508th PIR) vs. German 91st Luflande division (1057th Regiment). Small engagement (2-3 platoons each side) on 6th of June.

Here's 1940 era photo from Gourbesville crossroad.

gourbesville%201940s.jpg

And here's photo from scenario - same place. Map should be pretty accurate. I used Google streetview, Google maps and some old WW2 era maps to create it.

Gourbesville01.jpg

Few other photos:

Gourbesville02.jpg

Gourbesville03.jpg

Battle will be bloody. German side fight without demolition packs, it will be hard without them to find way to that village. :) You really need to think how to attack.

I'm planning to making both sides playable, but it's best played as German (attacker).

It will be released when it's ready. Map is finished and I'm still playtesting how AI and forces work.

I am sure you are right but the church seems very large for a small village. I have looked at a single black and white picture of the church and I think it has a single height of windows. And the tower is less massive.

edit. Sorry sounds a bit nitpicky because actually it looks neat other than that.

I re-checked church size. Real church is 33 meters wide, scenario church is about 39 meters wide. It's pretty accured, but little oversized. :(

I might fix few things to make it more realistic. The tower is IRL really high.

gourbesville_lewellen_32.jpg

I changed church I little bit:

church.jpg

Wide is now about 24 meters. Tower still oversized, but that's the best CMBN can offer. :)

I was afraid that the supplied kit might be a stumbling block. The church proper looks jsut right now. And of course the tower badly wrong : (

SO I agree with you, aesthetically you have to go with the bigger church : } I may have to learn about the modelling side as it is not much good me going on about what I am familiar with if its not within the game to deliver. !

BTW It suddenly struck me that in France you generally have graveyards separate from churches. This is not somehting I have ever considered before but I can recall many graveyards but off the top of my head none with a church attached!!! Oops Area for research required . Thank goodness there are some French members onboard. Now I could be wrong, and of course it could be different in the French regions. I will get back to the forum on that.

Bah, back to drawing board... Earlier I didn't found enough info what was behind the Church. I did a bit more research and I believe Chateau of Gourbesville should be there. Not sure did someone translate chateau to "castle" because some sources talk about Gourbesville's castle.

Anyway... Map did change quite a lot. It seems even more interesting now.

Photo of Chateau 16th June 1944.

Gourbesville_Chateau_Ruin_1944-416x286.jpg

chateau.jpg

I will show some screenshots later.