30 Aug 2011. WOOT

Looks like they addressed many of my concerns regarding usability.

It was sometimes too awkward to do simple things. Using a LMG in particular tended to be a PITA.

One of their recent videos showed they did some good work on that.

Still only the Pz4 and T-34 for tanks. That's not quite enough but hopefully they can get additional tanks in at some more reasonable pace. And with infantry not quite so tricky I might not miss the diversity in tanks so very much.

Looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

Pre-ordered it up as soon as I heard. Early beta access, TF2 hats, Killing Floor skins, and more, all for only $40. Tripwire is an awesome company.

This game is gonna be a beast, it has every feature of the AAA FPS's and then some. Not to mention a slew of mods already in the works. There's a Pacific theater mod that will release along side the game, or soon after. Mods already months in progress include Vietnam, WW1, Poland (including Soviet invasion), and (you didn't see this one coming) Warhammer 40K. I imagine there will also be a Darkest Hour mod RO2.

I imagine there will also be a Darkest Hour mod RO2.

Oh noes.not another bloody darkest hour mod.YAWN.

Bring on another Mare Nostrum mod.That was much more fun.Due to the more interesting vehicles in that theatre.The Northern Europe bit has been done to death.

Oh noes.not another bloody darkest hour mod.YAWN.

Bring on another Mare Nostrum mod.That was much more fun.Due to the more interesting vehicles in that theatre.The Northern Europe bit has been done to death.

I liked Mare Nostrum as well, but Darkest Hour is great just because of the little things like radioman class, on map mortars, etc. that aren't in the base RO.

@undead reindeer cavalry: I don't know if you have played RO1 but many of it's maps have a mix of very close range fighting to extremely long (where only a rifle is effective, and beyond) on every map. The maps are far, far larger than CoD maps. Just look up some RO1 vids on youtube and you will see what I mean. Most vids are at close range just to show off the shooting and effects, I imagine, and because he is playing against easy AI, that won't pick him off with a rifle from 200 yards.

but Darkest Hour is great

Yes I can get to play a bloody Yank again.:P

At least I got to hear proper swearing and insults in MN.Plus the mix of tanks was much more fun.

Bring on the modules for CMBN as i am bored of the limited scale already.I want my Churchills .

Most vids are at close range just to show off the shooting and effects, I imagine, and because he is playing against easy AI, that won't pick him off with a rifle from 200 yards.

hopefully. i used to play RO and i liked the larger more open maps. however i hated the urban etc maps. i'm just wondering if this initial release is any good for me, or if i'm better off waiting 6 months to get good maps.

I have some good memories of Mare Nostrum but unfortunately the maps were of a spotty quality which combined with the setting really hurt it.

As for RO:HOS you can buy the original Red Orchestra off Steam for 10$ and then get RO:HOS for 10$ off.

Also there is a pacific expansion coming out for RO:HOS some months after it's released and a Vietnam mod called In Country currently being worked on.

Looking forward to this, a couple of years ago when the original RO servers in Australia were still heavily populated I would spend at least 2 hours 5 out of 7 nights a week playing.

Was great fun on ventrilo with fellow TOGgers, alcoholic beverages of choice, pick up a gun and hilarity would ensue.

Green Man Gaming currently has Red Orchestra 2/Heroes of Stalingrad reduced by 35%. The digital Deluxe edition becomes 33$ and the standard becomes 27$.

Both activate on Steam with all Steam bonuses and afaik no regional cutting.

PM me for details and the 20% off vouchers.

How are suppression effects now?

From the very in-depth fact thread sticky: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=48698

Suppression System: Players will be suppressed when under fire (bullets passing or landing close by); the player hears their heartbeat, will breathe faster (affecting weapon sway) and their screen will desaturate and shake a bit. Players can also be suppressed by grenades and artillery. The effect is cumulative and the more suppressed the player is the more pronounced the effect will be.

There's suppose to be a big media RO2 blitz this month, so I think we may get to see the suppression effect in action soon.

There was a video with the suppression effect on youtube somewhere, can't remember which one. The screen twitchs a bit and everything loses color, there is also a bar on screen (in casual mode, at least) that shows how suppressed you are. A lot like the last Brothers in Arms game. It's not like DH where every time someone fires a gun near you, you temporarily go blind, but looked a bit weak to me overall.

Of course, that video was a few months old, so it may have changed a bit (or a lot).

Just posted a few minutes ago, some HD gameplay footage. (not shaky cam) Enjoy!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-gameplay-red-orchestra/719542?

The rumorville over there is hoping and wishing for a Aug. 23rd start for the beta, mostly to coincide with the Stalingrad battle start. Which is tomorrow, so fingers crossed on that. ;)