By popular demand, a clean version of Devils' Descent!

Several people have, for one reason or another, be it historically accurate low levels of profanity in WWII, or to introduce the little ones to CMBN, requested a version of my Devils' Descent campaign with less R-rated language in it. Well, it's here, and it should be up on the Repository soon!

Special thanks to BloodyBucket for doing what I did not have the time to do: editing the many, many .txt files to clean up the characters' vocabulary. :)

Good now we can do all the maiming and killing and slaughter we want without all that evil language. ;)

I read a book many years ago (not the only one I've read ;) ) about a British Para at Arnhem Bridge ... or was he in the perimeter around the Hartenstein? I *think* it may have been 'Arnhem Drop' by Louis Hagen, not that it matters much. Anyway, there are two stories from the book that particularly stick in my memory. One is of the guys being very very thirsty, but having no ready access to water. Then they notice that the house they're in has a large stock of apples, and one of them points out that apples have loads of water in them, so they start chomping on apples. The author relates having a weird day dream about eventually being relieved by XXX Corps, and being found surrounded by piles of apple cores many feet high :D

The other story, which is a little more relevant to this thread, is how he noticed that over the time they spent surrounded and under seige became much more civilised. Not in the sense of eating with cutlery, or staying clean, or shaving regularly, but in their behaviour towards each other. Swearing trailed off to nothing, and they became much more considerate - asking politely for things (like a spare rifle pull through), sharing whatever they had, staying on stag longer than the minimum so their mate can get a few minutes more sleep.

On a personal note, based on personal experience, I've noticed that commanders who swear a lot often get less respect. They come across as not being in control of the situation, which is what I got from some of the swearing in Devils' Descent. There's one scene in particular where the company commander is surprised by some development, and lets out a heartfelt 'fvck' to his signaller. I was reading that and thinking to myself 'hmm, I wouldn't really want to be under his command - he's lost control of this situation.' Command is in large part a confidence trick. Always give the impression that you know what's going on, that you're in control of the situation, and that you can do anything. Swearing betrays all that with a single word. It looks good in movies though.

FWIW.

Jon

FMB,

Thanks to you and BB for the cleaner version. Glad to see it .... I'm currently in the middle of your campaign but if I load the new version, will that cause any problems? I'm guessing not since it sounds like only the text was modified but I thought I would ask anyway.

Actually, the two versions are completely incompatible; according to the game's logic, they're different campaigns. I'm sorry about this, but I had to do it in order to preserve the original campaign. :( You will need to completely restart if you want to use the clean version.

Actually, the two versions are completely incompatible; according to the game's logic, they're different campaigns. I'm sorry about this, but I had to do it in order to preserve the original campaign. :( You will need to completely restart if you want to use the clean version.

Are you sure about that? You've essentially created a new (or 'different') version of the campaign - I forget the exact proceedure, but there is a way to load saves from a previous version of a campaign into newer versions of it. I'm pretty sure it's covered in the manual.

Are you sure about that? You've essentially created a new (or 'different') version of the campaign - I forget the exact proceedure, but there is a way to load saves from a previous version of a campaign into newer versions of it. I'm pretty sure it's covered in the manual.

Yes, I did create a new campaign. It's called "Devils' Descent (Clean).cam." The mission titles are also slightly different so that I could preserve the originals.

For example, the first mission's file name is "DDCam 01.btt". The clean version is designated "DDCam 01C.btt" in order to not overwrite the original file. So not only is the campaign file name different, but the mission titles within the campaign script are also different. I highly doubt that the campaign UI would be compatible with the Shift+Click methodology for importing save games.

mmm. Any time you change anything in any of the scenarios, and recompile, you're essentially creating a new campaign, regardless of how major or minor the change is. But, I thought you could use old saves anyway. I'm pretty sure I've worked with incomplete campaigns - dropping in new missions, renaming missions, etc - and been able to use prior saves.

mmm. Any time you change anything in any of the scenarios, and recompile, you're essentially creating a new campaign, regardless of how major or minor the change is. But, I thought you could use old saves anyway. I'm pretty sure I've worked with incomplete campaigns - dropping in new missions, renaming missions, etc - and been able to use prior saves.

Huh, well, it would be awesome if it did work. Unfortunately, I don't have any saves from the campaign (deleted them all when I got a new machine), so I can't test this myself, but if someone else wants to try this out, go hog wild. :)

IOn a personal note, based on personal experience, I've noticed that commanders who swear a lot often get less respect. They come across as not being in control of the situation, which is what I got from some of the swearing in Devils' Descent. There's one scene in particular where the company commander is surprised by some development, and lets out a heartfelt 'fvck' to his signaller. I was reading that and thinking to myself 'hmm, I wouldn't really want to be under his command - he's lost control of this situation.' Command is in large part a confidence trick. Always give the impression that you know what's going on, that you're in control of the situation, and that you can do anything. Swearing betrays all that with a single word. It looks good in movies though.

FWIW.

Jon

Good points. Especially about the apple day dream. I think the swearing commanders thing is a theatrical convention that sometimes gets literally transposed into real life by confused commanders. Hence 2 points off for swearing as a commander.