Six mortar crews next to an HQ. Only three available to call?

I setup a quick battle tonight with computer chosen forces. I was given six US mortar teams. I setup all six teams right next to an HQ (Identified as Platoon HQ). Even though all six teams are equidistant from a radio equipped HQ, only half of them are able to be called upon to fire by my FOs - the other half are not.

Mortars_out_of_radio.jpeg

Here are the unit designations and command status:

1) 3rd Section HQ (in visual and vocal command; Command chain listed as "Mortar platoon")

2) 2nd Section HQ (in visual and vocal command; Command chain listed as "Mortar platoon")

3) 1st Section HQ (in visual and vocal command; Command chain listed as "Mortar platoon")

4) 2nd Section HQ (Not in command; "Mortar platoon" is red X'd)

5) 1st Section HQ (Not in command; "Mortar platoon" is red X'd)

6) 3rd Section HQ (Not in command; "Mortar platoon" is red X'd)

Here's what my FO sees:

out%252520of%252520contact.jpeg

I can understand the three mortars being out of command and getting a penalty to their performance, but I do not understand why they're unavailable for use when they are literally right next to a unit (an HQ no less) with a radio. It's my understanding that these guys should all be available for use as long as any radio unit (HQ, Jeep, halftrack) is within visual/sound range. Is that not correct?

It looks to me like you have two battalions' weapon companies worth of 81mm mortars trying to report to one battalion HQ. If you are in a QB it could be that when you selected your force you did not place the extra mortars under the Primary battalion CO and thus they would have no means to report to him or to his subordinate weapons company commander. The game just sees them as independent units. Just guessing, but that's what it seems to me.

If that's the case, I'd try redoing the QB and directly assigning the extra mortar platoon to the original weapons company CO.

"Is that not correct?"

Nope it isn't correct in my experience. The chain of command matters.

Looking at that I would guess you have a mortar platoon commander as the "controller", the three mortars from that platoon are available. The other three mortars are from a different Mortar platoon and possibly from a different company or even battalion.

Try putting the second mortar platoon commander down there and I think all will be well. However, before you leave the setup phase I should test what spotters from can call what mortars, especially if you have two companies.

Battalion level spotters should be able to call in mortar fire from different companies, but I am not sure about a platoon commander from A company being able to call in Mortars belonging to B company. I think the answer will depend on how whoever did the force selection set up the force structure.

I setup a quick battle tonight with computer chosen forces. I was given six US mortar teams. I setup all six teams right next to an HQ (Identified as Platoon HQ). Even though all six teams are equidistant from a radio equipped HQ, only half of them are able to be called upon to fire by my FOs - the other half are not.

Mortars_out_of_radio.jpeg

Here are the unit designations and command status:

1) 3rd Section HQ (in visual and vocal command; Command chain listed as "Mortar platoon")

2) 2nd Section HQ (in visual and vocal command; Command chain listed as "Mortar platoon")

3) 1st Section HQ (in visual and vocal command; Command chain listed as "Mortar platoon")

4) 2nd Section HQ (Not in command; "Mortar platoon" is red X'd)

5) 1st Section HQ (Not in command; "Mortar platoon" is red X'd)

6) 3rd Section HQ (Not in command; "Mortar platoon" is red X'd)

Here's what my FO sees:

out%252520of%252520contact.jpeg

I can understand the three mortars being out of command and getting a penalty to their performance, but I do not understand why they're unavailable for use when they are literally right next to a unit (an HQ no less) with a radio. It's my understanding that these guys should all be available for use as long as any radio unit (HQ, Jeep, halftrack) is within visual/sound range. Is that not correct?

No, they can use the radio of any vehicle parked nearby, but they do not get to takeover HQ radios. Were the three out of contact mortars not subordinate to another HQ?