Scavanging weapons...

Just played one of the demo battles in hotseat against my friend, and both my panserschreck teams lost the panzerschreck gunner... and the loader/ammoguy never picked up the panzerschreck even though the gunner was right next to him (both the teams had this).

why allow a unit to become essentially combat ineffective just because the loader wont pick up the weapon?

Units will usually scavenge important weapons like MG and AT weaponry if you let them do "buddy aid" on the WIA/KIA soldier. But not always. BFC seems to have built in a random chance that the important weapon is damaged, or that another soldier just isn't inclined to pick up the blood-spattered weapon of a comrade....

Usually they do pick up a comrade's weapon, especially one as important as a schreck. The primary deterrance seems to be weight limit. An individual soldier will only carry so much and no more. The same thing happened in CMSF - and it was considerably more apparent because the 40 pounds (or so) of body armor was factored into the equation.

Usually they do pick up a comrade's weapon, especially one as important as a schreck. The primary deterrance seems to be weight limit. An individual soldier will only carry so much and no more. The same thing happened in CMSF - and it was considerably more apparent because the 40 pounds (or so) of body armor was factored into the equation.

Hmm, haven't yet seen a schreck loader pick-up a schreck from a wounded or kia buddy. I'm also concerned that schreck loaders without a schreck buddy then seem averse to giving their now spare ammo to another schreck team. They just continue running around with a sack of heavy ammo that's no good to them!

LS

Hmm, haven't yet seen a schreck loader pick-up a schreck from a wounded or kia buddy. I'm also concerned that schreck loaders without a schreck buddy then seem averse to giving their now spare ammo to another schreck team. They just continue running around with a sack of heavy ammo that's no good to them!

LS

They can't actually transfer the ammo, but I assume that the ammo sharing mechanic works for Shreck ammo just like it does for other ammo types. Just put the guy with rockets and no tube next to a guy with a tube, and the rockets should be available to the Tube Guy.

Another question about ammo sharing:

I have half a rifle squad that seems to have dropped their MG42 and K98 for a pistol and panzerfaust due to lack of 7.92 ammo. When I move a friendly HMG team with plenty of ammo into the same room with them, shouldn't they switch back to their normal weapons? Does it take a few turns?

Edit: The manual indicates they need to be part of the same formation. So, my HMG team will not share with the squad in a different platoon? What if they were in the weapons platoon of the squad's company? What if you attached a tank to an HMG platoon in a QB, would the MG's leech that ocean of 7.92 from the tank when they get low?

the more i think about it, i am certain that the problem is weight...

the ammo carrier is weighted down by ammo so wont pick up the panzerschreck... but what he SHOULD do is drop some ammo and pick up the weapon instead of running around with alot of ammo he cant use.

lets hope they fix this in a patch...

I just ran some tests and I have to say weapon/ammo scavanging is a little....ODD.

I set up a bunch of 2-man BAR teams against snipers. I used snipers as I wanted there to be min damage to equipment. Very strange and odd results.

BAR team starts with 568 rounds of ammo.

When the BAR gunner is hit the assist is left with 488 rounds and can buddy aid to pick up the BAR.

When the assist is hit the BAR gunner has the BAR and only 80 rounds. When he buddy aids to get more ammo he gets NONE! It cant be a weight problem because the assist has 488 rounds AND picks up the BAR when the BAR guy is hit. Strange.

Same with panzerschreck guys. I have had the assist carry the panzerschreck and 4 rounds no problem. But if the assist gets hit first the schreck guy will never get more than a round. Funny thing is, before buddy aid, it shows more rounds available to the schreck guy. Not sure if he would use them though.

I will post this in beta testing as well.

Also....has anyone ever seen grenades get scavanged??? I have not.

I'm in the middle of an operation. Some of my units got heavy casualties, which left each squad or HQ with one to four men.

I have 1 HQ down to one man, but armed with MG42, and at least 2 MG42 for each 4 men squads.

I did buddy aid all along the battles, but I've not tracked if they scavenged the guns in or between battles.

Now my problem is that I have a force full of firepower for a fire support echelon, but no assault echelon.

They can't actually transfer the ammo, but I assume that the ammo sharing mechanic works for Shreck ammo just like it does for other ammo types. Just put the guy with rockets and no tube next to a guy with a tube, and the rockets should be available to the Tube Guy.

That could explain it, I'll have to experiment. Loader was from destroyed 1st Platoon 3rd Co., retreated to positions of Tube Guy who was with 2nd Platoon 3rd Co., both same Reg. etc. Don't think they had been formerly introduced ;)

LS