Shouldn't LOS be a two way street

I never use "hunt" anymore for infantry except for very specific tasks like clearing buildings. "Hunt" just seems to get my men killed, because it gives enemy infantry more time to spot them and shoot them.

Instead, I keep 2/3 to 3/4 of my men on overwatch keeping an eye out and the rest, I always move on "Quick", always from cover to cover, the aim always being to move to a good observation/firing position. They get to the new OP faster and then have a longer time to spot whatever maybe around.

Quick is good but they tend to stop and fire back if someone opens up on them while they are en route to their new cover position. If that is what you want, fine. Fast is good too because they tend to keep running no matter what to the new position instead of stopping and becoming even better exposed targets. Of course you get tired from Fast but you can recover once you are in cover.

Thank you for this clarification Steve! I was about to start a thread asking about time-spotting. Basically I wanted to know if leaving my scouts 'spotting' for an extra turn could make any difference in trying to spot enemy lurking (unmoving) on the other of the hedgerow. It seems the answer is "yes". Super stuff!

Definitely yes :D Each time your unit checks Spotting there's a chance he'll see something he didn't see before. In some cases, however, that chance is so close to zero that it won't happen. For example, recent tests confirmed that an infantry unit in good cover directly behind a tank, some meters to the rear, will never be spotted by that tank when it is buttoned up. The tank is, effectively, blind to such stuff and therefore 10 hours later the tank is still blind.

Interesting. Its been a while since ive read the manual for SF but judging from the animations i had always assumed that HUNT would be the movement of choice for spotting.

What would they be doing while hunting then?

Yes, HUNT does have good situational awareness. I wasn't thinking of that Command because it's got a specialized use beyond getting from A to B. In this situation of Baneman, HUNT would have been a better pick than MOVE, but I think QUICK was the best pick.

My personal style is to pick a spot I know the unit can see/shoot from, get it there QUICK, then let it do it's thing once it arrives. Usually this works out fine, but if I pick a spot that gives the unit too much exposure time, then by the time it arrives someone has already zeroed in on it. Which is realistic because a unit on the move attracts a lot of attention.

Steve

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I wasn't trying to say that something was broken. I was just trying to understand.

Never thought otherwise :D

I'm new to the concept of spotting vs LOS. Guess I'll just have to play more CMBN to get more familiar with it. : )

Best way to learn is to discuss like this. Politely, rationally, sometimes with humor (never hurts!), and always with at least some assumption that there's something to learn instead of teach. In this case, I teach and you learned. Good! Now next time this comes up (and it will!) maybe you will teach and someone else will learn. It's what makes this community here rock.

Steve

I never use "hunt" anymore for infantry except for very specific tasks like clearing buildings...

Don't you find hunt gets your men killed very quickly when clearing buildings?

When doing that I like to go in quick and violent - lots of suppression fire then a pause outside the door with a fire order to put some grenades in then quick into the building with, possibly, an area fire up to the next storey, if appropriate, once I am in.

Poncing about in someone else's building with situational awareness and a bandy legged walk seems like a dangerous option to me.

Don't you find hunt gets your men killed very quickly when clearing buildings?

When doing that I like to go in quick and violent - lots of suppression fire then a pause outside the door with a fire order to put some grenades in then quick into the building with, possibly, an area fire up to the next storey, if appropriate, once I am in.

Poncing about in someone else's building with situational awareness and a bandy legged walk seems like a dangerous option to me.

I should have been more specific, I meant once inside the building to clear the other floors. That is the one area where Hunt seems to work better than Quick.

To go in to the building in the first place, yes, I like to go in with a QUICK move

Hmmmm, I dunno. Speed and violence seem the key to me, but I'll give your way a go and see how I get on.

Once inside a building, weird spotting issues happen which I presume are due to the abstract modeling of walls and rooms. If you run quickly onto a floor which seems to be unoccupied, you may find bad guys popping up all over the place after a few seconds putting your guys in a bad spot. Using Hunt, my guys seem to spot the baddies more quickly and be in a better position to handle them.

YMMV :D

I never use "hunt" anymore for infantry except for very specific tasks like clearing buildings. "Hunt" just seems to get my men killed, because it gives enemy infantry more time to spot them and shoot them.

Instead, I keep 2/3 to 3/4 of my men on overwatch keeping an eye out and the rest, I always move on "Quick", always from cover to cover, the aim always being to move to a good observation/firing position. They get to the new OP faster and then have a longer time to spot whatever maybe around.

I'm with you. I rarely use anything but quick for my infantry, haven't for about 3 years. As you said, hunt usually just gets your men killed quicker.

Interesting to see what other people do. For long open fields I usually push my scouts forward using a combination of Hunt and Quick, in about a 1H:4Q distance ratio. Reason being that if I rush my men up to a defended hedgerow then they'll get wiped out. Better to be fired on or spot early and hunker down. Then again, I might be wasting my time. :-)

Fast they don't reload at all. and i think quick they don't either or reload very slowly, i forget. . after they expend their magazine they get slaughtered or pinned and panic. the other commands they do reload. There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes . BFC would have made a pretty penny with a strategy guide.