Blitz's CMBN ladder opened for business!

Gentlemen,

It gives me great pleasure to announce that Combat Mission:Combat for Normandy has become one of the 13 supported ladders at http://www.theblitz.org/

I'll give you some rough numbers about our CM1 community just so you know what to expect :)

-Our CM1 forum has generated no less than 11800 threads and 67700 threads along the years.I believe that would make us second only to Battlefront's own forums.

-We have more than 1600 members who reported at least a game on the CM1 ladder.Our top ranking member has reported no less than 887 games.

-There are 1726 CM1 scenarios in our database.

You are all welcomed to join it-if you haven't done it already! ;)

Cheers,

Raz.

Days,weeks,months....Depends on how big the scenario is,the battle length,your and your opponent's turnrate. From my CM1 pbem experience,you can expect for a medium sized battle to end in about 2-3 months.But again,if you notice your inbox is kinda empty there is nothing stopping you from starting another game :)

Honestly, I think the real thread to bump/sticky is the general one with all the clubs listed, rather than just one club thread (otherwise we have to bump them all).

However, my experience is BFC will never sticky something that points away from their site, so don't hold your breath, keep the bump-stick handy...

GaJ

I agree.It would be nice if the battlefront staff could sticky a thread with info about the available ladders/clubs which support cmbn. I'd say it will be quite hard for newcomers to find such info with the threads rapidly going down to the second/third page.

As a member of "The Blitz" I can attest to the quality of the people over there. I've had many a PBEM game with some serious wargamers who love to talk history while trading PBEM fire over well made scenarios. I'm happy to report that members seem to be taking a very postive view of BF's CMBN. There are some superb AARs posted over at the Blitz (not for CMBN yet), but for Tiller Operational Games and the old CMx1 series. Looking at them will give you a good sense of the seriousness of this wargaming community.

I read your site and it looks to me that the place on the ladder is more heavily weighted towards playing lots rather than having a winning record. From what I understand if I have a less than 50% win rate but play 100 games I would likely have a better score than someone with an 80% win rate but who can only play 25 games. Did I read that right?

I read your site and it looks to me that the place on the ladder is more heavily weighted towards playing lots rather than having a winning record. From what I understand if I have a less than 50% win rate but play 100 games I would likely have a better score than someone with an 80% win rate but who can only play 25 games. Did I read that right?

You are absolutely right.Which i believe makes sense,no?Let's say the player who played 100 games has just a 25% win rate.This means he won 25 games.On the other hand the member with 80% win rate but with just 25 games under his belt has won-if my math is correct-20 games.Obviously the first player would get more points for 25 wins than the second for 20 wins.

What you should also consider is the ladder is ordered by score(in which the above statement is correct) by default. And i mention this because it can be ordered using other criteria as well [number of played games,wins,wins %,streak,ELO] .Just see it for yourself:

http://www.theblitz.org/ladders/Combat-Mission/lid=1&action=ladder

It is a poor winning percentage.But the hard fact is the first player with a poor 25% winning percentage has won more games than the second one with 80% wins,thus he gains more points.He'll also get points for draws and even defeats: you get more points for a minor defeat than for a total defeat,just like you get more points for a total victory than for a minor one.Obviously,you'll get more points for a minor victory than for a minor defeat ;)

I'm not saying it's a perfect system,still it's a system that works and worked for the past 12 years.

Raz.

Hey raz, nice to see the CM ladder that I co-founded at the Blitz many years ago in good hands :). I just joined the CMBN ladder few days ago after long absence.

Good to see you're back.No doubt in short time we'll make CMBn ladder just as popular as CM once was [and still is!] ;)

You are absolutely right.Which i believe makes sense,no?Let's say the player who played 100 games has just a 25% win rate.This means he won 25 games.On the other hand the member with 80% win rate but with just 25 games under his belt has won-if my math is correct-20 games.Obviously the first player would get more points for 25 wins than the second for 20 wins.

What you should also consider is the ladder is ordered by score(in which the above statement is correct) by default. And i mention this because it can be ordered using other criteria as well [number of played games,wins,wins %,streak,ELO] .Just see it for yourself:

http://www.theblitz.org/ladders/Combat-Mission/lid=1&action=ladder

Thanks for the clarification! I did not notice the ELO rating at first - that's what I want. So, using the score for ranking does match your stated goal of getting people to play more, in a certain way - play more do better. My personal problem with that is two fold: I am not able to play a lot so that puts me at an immediate disadvantage (and reduces my desire to join your ladder). Two, I cannot tell from the score who would be a good match up for me. I do not find it fun to totally hammer someone with much less experience I would rather got for a more even match or risk getting hammered. Scores that grow the more you play do not help me find a good match.

But I am heartened to see that you have an ELO rating as well. So, I can view the ladder from that point of view and get something valuable out of it (which increases my desire to join you ladder:-).

Thanks for the information and I have one more question. Does your ELO rating calculation take into account the margin of victory? What I mean is for chess, as an example, there is only win, draw and loose. But for CM there is total victory, minor victory, draw, minor loss and total loss (I probably got the names wrong but the point is there are levels to winning and loosing). Does your ELO system take the degree of winning or loosing into account?

One of the side effects of having the scoring system is,i guess,that members who play more usually rank higher.It's also true the more you play the better you get.In most cases,at least.I remember,when i first joined the CM1 ladder from the first 12 games i played against human opponents i won just 1 :) And i'm doing just fine,right now.Not that i brag ;)

Another feature you should be aware of-because you mentioned you aren't able to play a lot-is that the ladder comes in two flavors,so to speak.The overall ladder and the yearly ladder.The overall ladder tracks the results from the day the ladder was established to the current day.the yearly ladder tracks results from 1st of January to 30th December of that current year.When you report a game it will count on both the overall ladder and the yearly ladder.

Regarding your question about how ELO is computed.Yes,victory levels do matter.You'll get more ELO points for scoring a total victory than you'll get for a minor victory.

I hope this helps,

Raz.