Plotting moves suggestion for Battlefront

Not sure if this is in the works (or if it is even possible) but is there any chance BF could patch it so that when you are plotting moves, it tells you (graphically) that the move is going to be replotted around an obstacle?

What I mean is that if you tell a tank to go through a bush, it will tell you that it will drive through whereas if you try to drive through a bocage, it will tell you it is not possible.

I am playing a map where I don't know if the water is deep enough to drive/walk through

Thx

jonpfl

You can test the water (hah!) by selecting the unit you had in mind and hovering the mouse cursor over the intervening terrain.

But if I tell a halftrack to go over a fence, this will not tell me if they will attempt to go over or will replot a course

Thx

jonpfl

You can test the water (hah!) by selecting the unit you had in mind and hovering the mouse cursor over the intervening terrain.

I have not found that to work. I was about to start a thread asking for the same thing because I have seen this problem several times now. If I do something dumb and just click a way point some place way up a head I am OK with the AI finding a way to get there.

However it is only fair that the game give me the tools to know what is an impassible and what is a passable obstacle. Right now I can select a unit and ask it to move across a bocage line I have never seen the ghost buster symbol for "no you cannot move on that bocage". This is what I want. This is what is fair.

In CM1x when you were plotting way points for a tank if you hovered over impassible terrain you got feedback. Yes, if you placed the way point on the other side of the impassible terrain you got what ever path the AI figured out. My point is that it was my mistake I failed to pay attention. But in the new game I'm not getting that feedback.

You are saying that the feedback I'm requesting is there which is surprising. It sounds like I am not doing the right thing. If I could learn what the right thing to do is I would be happy. I will go and setup a test and try it out to see if I can get the feedback I expect and report back.

Could you give me pointers on how you see the feedback "tank you cannot cross this bocage".

Please,

Ian

If you're playing WeGo, the game engine doesn't even know what you want until you hit "Go". How could it run pathing on the fly?

Admittedly, it WOULD be nice.

Yet everything you're plotting in setting up your turn has to make calculations. Just not tell you about them in all instances?

CMx2 is different from CMx1 in that the AI doesn't know what path it will take until the combat resolution has begun. For all intensive purposes everything is calculated RT even if you play WEGO.

For example, A real soldier running across a field suddenly sees a stream. Maybe he didn't see the stream when he started his run but now he has to determine can I cross this ditch or should I detour. I believe a more realistic approach for the game to take would be to give feedback to the player only on terrain that they can see at the time a move was plotted but terrain outside of their LOS is left up to the AI or the brain of the individual soldier.

I'm hoping BF will add this capability when they revamp the UI but providing they agree that this needs to be addressed we probably wont see it until CM:EF....

Yep, trying to trace a path while moving the mouse around would be horrendous to performance. It would be like trying to move a mouse through molasses.

This has been discussed before, and Steve said it took a LOT of computing power to continuously re-path as you moved the mouse around. He was very convinced it was not an easy problem to program.

This has been discussed before, and Steve said it took a LOT of computing power to continuously re-path as you moved the mouse around. He was very convinced it was not an easy problem to program.

So just plot it the once when you hit the 'create waypoint' function. Doesn't have to be dynamic; we're used to not getting what we expect when we click, cancelling and redoing.