Bad luck...or needs fixing?

Had one man of my MG team killed\wounded...unfortunately he was the MG gunner....the other four never picked up his MG over a period of ten mins and as it was a campaign game never had the MG in the next scenario...not sure if Guns can be damaged but if not can't understand why even if they where to busy returning fire during the scenario didn't pick it up and carry it forward to the next battle once the Jerries where routed....I have no MG's left to defend La Fosille...

In the demo I saw a mortar damage an MG42 (by closely looking you could see it was wrecked).

If you still had a functioning MG your guys should have tried to recover it when they performed buddy aid on the corpse if it wasn't damaged.

I've observed the exact same behavior with both MGs and other weapons (such as sniper rifles) and there's a clear lack of buddy aid in those same instances.

After some 10-15 minutes I usually issue a normal "move" order to the point of the fallen soldier and both weapon collection and buddy aid kicks in.

A soldier's weapon isn't always retrievable via "buddy aid". Its been this way since early CMSF. I have always assumed this is meant to represent situations where the weapon is destroyed/damaged when the soldier is hit.

As noted, infantry team weapons like HMGs and mortars can also be hit and knocked out, of their own accord. Never done definitive testing, but this appears to happen more often when HE hits near or on the heavy weapon, than when hit by small arms fire (which makes sense).

General lesson is, don't count on always being able re-man that MG.

Can a single person squad toting around a M1917 fire it, or anything else?

I lost all but one of a .50cal team, and he managed to lug it and a few hundred rounds of ammo around for the rest of the battle.

Buddy aid works pretty good for me... fond memories of pioneer HQ team with 3 zooks, and a four man german squad armed exclusively with MG42s! Is also pretty ace when you can arm bailed crews with automatic weapons and put em in the line :D

AI will not buddy aid while under fire, that is a good thing.