Second thoughts?

In the run up to the release of CMBN i was also keeping an eye on Panzer Command Ostfront over at matrix games which was released on the 12 may and being somewhat of a similar game. Having got my hands on the demo to CMBN and PCO I was weighing up the pros and cons of each game. Did i opt to buy PCO a series which i had never played before apart from the demo though which looked to be up there on a tactical level or though the results of the combat are modelled in the way of a table top game, though it was bundled with the previous two games content for free, a good deal.

Or go for CMBN and stick to the series that i have played and had a ton of enjoyment playing.I did not want to plumb for both as this type of war game requires a large time investment to truly get the most out of and having both would split my attention between the two which i did not want.

I am very pleased that i made the right choice (not always the case) and continued to support Battlefront by opting for CMBN:D

Was anyone else having a similar dilemma, did anyone feel like they made the wrong choice ?

I'm a long time player of Panzer Command and since I own both PCK and PCOWS I got the "NEW" Ostfront for free. I like each game for what they represent individually. Ostfront is the only turn-based game I own as I generally prefer RTS.

I must say however, that I'm currently spending more time with CMBN. My favorite feature of CMBN is locking onto a vehicle (like a Panther) and directing fire at the enemy at the "down and dirty" ground level. I was hooked by CMBN in the "Closing the Gap" scenario as I positioned my Panthers just behind the hill after gaining adequate LOS and started methodically taking out enemy armor.

BTW, this feature is the reason I also own ALL of the TOW series games. I also love the easy to use in-game Mission Generator in TOW which for me is equivalent to the equally loved Quick Battle Mode in CMBN.

All-in-all this a a wonderful time to be a wargamer!

Buying both was the only option for me. I won't go into which is better, that is ridiculous. They are both good and well worth the money.

Here here...way to many flame wars going on over this...we should be happy with have two tactical wargames out at the moment...

I have my favourite as it suits what I'm after...

I was disappointed at first, but being primarily a modern warfare type that was to be somewhat expected. As I got used to it I started to like it more and more.

I just had what was probably my 15th game including the demo and have gone from:

"Ergh, it's not bad" to "This is without a doubt the greatest tactics game ever made."

Really, I'm not exaggerating, it's absolutely brilliant :)

I was disappointed at first, but being primarily a modern warfare type that was to be somewhat expected. As I got used to it I started to like it more and more.

I just had what was probably my 15th game including the demo and have gone from:

"Ergh, it's not bad" to "This is without a doubt the greatest tactics game ever made."

Which are you referring to, CMBN, PCO or TOW ?

D/L but haven't played the PCO demo. Single biggest reason is that it's Windows and being on a Mac I hate using Boot Camp since it stops me doing all the 'other' stuff I do in-between playing wargames*. I will play it and I'll almost certainly like it. However the OS will probably put me off buying it.

* Well that should read "wargame", since the only other one I have on the Mac besides CMBN is Hearts of Iron. Not counting Civ or EU of course and I'm still waiting for Slitherine to bring out their promised OSX Battlefield Academy. So if anyone else can point me to another I'd be grateful. :-)

If your talking about PCO I'm shocked...with step infantry not sure how it can be the greatest tacyical game out there...I love tactical games but it did nothing for me due to the very abstract infantry...now if you love tanks it's fine...but infantry...meh...

Anyway horses of courses...one mans meat...and all the other sayings....if YOU love it then thats what counts...

I've said it for years, and I've said it quite a bit recently, but for the record... there's too few wargames out there. Anybody that can make a stab at a decent game is good for our hobby. No doubt PCO will appeal to some more than CM:BN, no doubt CM:BN will appeal to some more than PCO. But let's keep in mind that for most people neither is appealing and we should be glad that there's stupid people like us who don't run off to make yet another RTS or FPS game :D

It was fun to watch WW2 gamers wind up saying that about CM: Shock Force, so it's also fun to see it happen in reverse. If you had asked me 12 years ago if I would ever make, not to mention enjoy, a Modern warfare game my answer would have been "no way!". Yet I was one of two people who decided to go in that direction a few years later. We apes can grow a bit if we let ourselves :P

Steve

I've said it for years, and I've said it quite a bit recently, but for the record... there's too few wargames out there. Anybody that can make a stab at a decent game is good for our hobby. No doubt PCO will appeal to some more than CM:BN, no doubt CM:BN will appeal to some more than PCO. But let's keep in mind that for most people neither is appealing and we should be glad that there's stupid people like us who don't run off to make yet another RTS or FPS game :D

Steve

Thats what I think too. Its ridiculous to fight over it. We should be glad that there is more than one option available. We cant seriously have too many CM style games. The more the merrier.

If your talking about PCO I'm shocked...with step infantry not sure how it can be the greatest tacyical game out there...I love tactical games but it did nothing for me due to the very abstract infantry...now if you love tanks it's fine...but infantry...meh...

Anyway horses of courses...one mans meat...and all the other sayings....if YOU love it then thats what counts...

Yeah its true that its a abstract. Theres a mod however (simple modification of XML files) that enables squads to have max ten visible men. Thats somthing atleast.

Its great we have the choice at the moment within this sub genre. I am happy to have these games of this quality where you have to choose, which one do i invest my limited time into, they are too few and far between in IMHO. Most of the strategy games around today seem to be either click fest rts games with health bars or so abstract where you just move counters around a map that the the feeling of a battle is lost on me. No disrespect to those types of games i do play those too but this style of war game strikes the right balance for me. Happy days...