First Panzer Marsch mission scoring - bug?

I didn't see many American units but I occupied all the places I was supposed to search. Why at the end did the Americans appear to get close to 1000 points for my units and therefore get given a major victory? I did lose a few units - the dismounted infantry - and therefore could understand losing 225 points - but what about the rest? Was that a bug?

Hmmm, do you have to see exactly what they are to qualify ?

One of my units on one of the objective spotting er... spots sat there for about 20 minutes and suddenly could see 8-10 enemy icons ( generic "?" ).

I was really pleased with them, but at the end, I was told I scored zero for spotting enemy units.

And .. to those in the know - assuming you don't sit behind a hedge for 20 minutes and go looking for the enemy ( which I tried a couple of times ) - what's the approved/preferred technique ?

Because usually my guys ( despite crawling ) were seen and gunned down by enemy they never saw.

And .. to those in the know - assuming you don't sit behind a hedge for 20 minutes and go looking for the enemy ( which I tried a couple of times ) - what's the approved/preferred technique ?

Because usually my guys ( despite crawling ) were seen and gunned down by enemy they never saw.

You can go over to the right flank which is unprotected.

Problem is you won't see sh*t.

You can go over to the right flank which is unprotected.

Problem is you won't see sh*t.

I did try that and on one occasion came up to a hedge and actually saw foxholes and one "Ami" sitting near them - up against the other side of the field ( it was a bit triangular so the other side was relatively close ).

But sneaking further up the hedge I found a closer "invisible" enemy and died.

So it's a bit hit or miss - if you crawl up to a hedge and no one's on the other side, you might see something. If someone IS on the other side, you wont have a chance to get away.

So it's not really scouting if the only way to do it successfully is if you know where the enemy are and aren't.

But I assume there IS a way to do it and I'm just too thick to figure it out without some help from the grogs.

Well, you can roam about in the enemy's back, the problem is that you won't spot them anyway, until it's too late.

Their must be a way to exploit it then.

Ive only played the mission once, went to the hotspots and exited. Only on the victory screen does it say all the things that can be seen. Must be a way to do some kind of better recon.

Their must be a way to exploit it then.

Ive only played the mission once, went to the hotspots and exited. Only on the victory screen does it say all the things that can be seen. Must be a way to do some kind of better recon.

I've tried 3 times now, the only success so far I had was by using force to make the enemy units fire. Drove up a PSW, opened the hatch, started firing. Shortly after I had a couple of units shooting at it, which got spotted. I tried sneaking around and never managed to spot a single unit, I let my guys lie in the observation points for 30 minutes, not a single unit spotted(with cover arc so they wouldn't lie down and hide).

Maybe that's because I'm playing on Elite?

I doubt it though.

Actually spotting enemy units at night in bocage before they open up on you is really hard. You are up and moving, quite often on a road or in open ground, while the other guy is stationary and in good cover.

Actually spotting enemy units at night in bocage before they open up on you is really hard. You are up and moving, quite often on a road or in open ground, while the other guy is stationary and in good cover.

So the lessons we're supposed to learn from this are:

1. If you try to recon by stealth and movement it is almost inevitable that you will be seen first and mown down.

2. If you want to recon successfully, play the scenario first to find out where the enemy is so that you can move your units into areas where the enemy isn't the second time you play

3. Recon by randomly shooting into hedges is more likely to lead to success.

Is there a procedure that will help here? Perhaps slow + wait, slow + wait until the '?' appears, then if you wait some more will you identify the '?' unit?

Or do you have to use slow to get closer to identify (and risk being mown down)?

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!

I had the most success with moving units with binoculars to the highlighted observation points. Have them crawl the last 10 yards or so. Have them sit there with short covered arcs (like 3 meters) pointing towards the suspected enemy positions. Pay attention to how long it takes you to get there and leave with that much time plus 2 minutes left. That should get you to the exit zones in time to exit. You should spot a unit or two which will give you, maybe, a tactical victory.

You should dismount your PSW crews as they have binos

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!

Good trick, but that's a bit rich - the vehicle crew can scout better than the scouts ??

I thought the scouts were scouts because they're good at .. scouting.

• 2 weeks later...
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!

I had the most success with moving units with binoculars to the highlighted observation points. Have them crawl the last 10 yards or so. Have them sit there with short covered arcs (like 3 meters) pointing towards the suspected enemy positions. Pay attention to how long it takes you to get there and leave with that much time plus 2 minutes left. That should get you to the exit zones in time to exit. You should spot a unit or two which will give you, maybe, a tactical victory.

I was also frustrated about the mission and questioning my sanity. Much wailing and gnashing of the teeth indeed...

I had my guys crawl the last 30 meters after hunting towards the OPs. I also took care to have sqauds with binos out at the OPs, but I saved myself the cover arcs - I figured the guys being recon guys they would just watch the opposite hedgerow and obey their face-order. Well, they didn't spot anything after 20 minutes in position, not even contact markers. I would certainly love to be enlightened about the way night scouting is supposed to happen.

• 3 months later...
my zerg rush didn't work. i need some jeeps!

Mine did, I managed to kill some 37 Amis and wound another half dozen, I rushed through the cross roads with smoke and attacked the sleeping americans in the house behind, which is filled with them! I was suprised.

I lost 1 KIA and 1 WIA...lets see how many defenders we have left in the morning...