Multiple Monitor Setup

Would it be possible for CM to have multiple monitors at some point? I realize it could be a bit of a hit to performance if fully rendered but it only really needs to be a "screenshot" with icons on it (for a map on the second screen).

It would be really helpful to be able to see the whole battlefield and what's going on without having to zoom up and then all the way back down again. Perhaps the game could render out the map when the battle begins and then simply plot the icons on it, surely that would be relatively light on performance.

Also, how many people are running multiple screens out there?

Currently, CM goes into 'full screen' mode.

What would be really nice is using Windowed mode. From there, you could have other Windows.

I've successfully used Windowed mode in X-Plane 9 with additional 3rd party Windows, and it's great. In addition, World of Tanks uses Windowed mode, and there's a LOT more animation going on than in CM.

I think BF's challenge is their shoestring budget.

Yes. It would be awesome to have multiple monitor support. It baffles me why so few games has this feature. Many people have at least two monitors. World in Conflict comes to my mind; you could put overview map on the second monitor.

I take it's the case of very limited resources with Combat Mission.

I don't know for sure as I've gone from 3 24" monitors to a single 30" monitor. But one of the first questions I asked after returning to the forums was if it supported multiple monitors and the answer was 'yes'.

You went from the Matrox triple header like the pic to a single 30 inch monitor???????????

Why??????

While that is [incredibly] impressive, an extra map would be really helpful, and I also suspect that there are more dual-screen setups than triple (which can be very expensive).

It would be nice, but you're talking about something that takes a lot of coding and testing time and that would be useful for a small fraction of players. Because of that you may as well forget about it. The Matrox example is the kind of thing that you can realistically expect for a novelty feature: less than one hour of setting up and it's done. Having different screens show different things is a lot bigger task because the game has no support for it, so a lot of new code would be required. I would imagine that even 3d glass support would be easier to add.

You went from the Matrox triple header like the pic to a single 30 inch monitor???????????

Why??????

Panoramic view is good for eg. driving games, but the view is awkwardly shaped if you want to play CM watching the battlefield from top down or similar angle. There is a lot of horizontal space but your view is vertically extremely limited in comparison.

It's also stupid how almost all monitors today are 16:9 or such. That is suitable for watching movies but for computer work or games, a squarish 4:3 ratio screen is much better.

Im using 3x24" and the demo worked great with it. However, when I tried to change to lower resolution (using 5760x1080 - wanted to try it on 1920x1080) it refused to change. I rebooted the game and tried several times but it just won't change.

Using Eyefinity and not Matrox Tripple Head.

It would be nice, but you're talking about something that takes a lot of coding and testing time and that would be useful for a small fraction of players. Because of that you may as well forget about it. The Matrox example is the kind of thing that you can realistically expect for a novelty feature: less than one hour of setting up and it's done. Having different screens show different things is a lot bigger task because the game has no support for it, so a lot of new code would be required. I would imagine that even 3d glass support would be easier to add.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I was really surprised to hear that it only took an hour to implement Matrox.

Currently, CM goes into 'full screen' mode.

What would be really nice is using Windowed mode. From there, you could have other Windows.

I've successfully used Windowed mode in X-Plane 9 with additional 3rd party Windows, and it's great. In addition, World of Tanks uses Windowed mode, and there's a LOT more animation going on than in CM.

I think BF's challenge is their shoestring budget.

I have a GeForce 470GTX. It supports two monitors. Can I set up CM to play off of two monitors or do I need a third party thing to have it?

Gents, first, you realize that Nvidia cards use surround to allow multiple monitor setup? ATI uses something very similar so there is no need to buy a Matrox splitter. I routinely play the demo on three 24" and there is marginal hits on FPS, though admittedly have two GTX 480's in SLI. You can pick up 24" monitors for about $175.00, less if you do the homework on the net for lowest prices. Anyway, the Matrox digital triple head runs for more than $300, their standard version can be found for about $170.00. Anyway, just thought I would throw in more minutia to chew on...

Matt

Gents, first, you realize that Nvidia cards use surround to allow multiple monitor setup? ATI uses something very similar so there is no need to buy a Matrox splitter. I routinely play the demo on three 24" and there is marginal hits on FPS, though admittedly have two GTX 480's in SLI. You can pick up 24" monitors for about $175.00, less if you do the homework on the net for lowest prices. Anyway, the Matrox digital triple head runs for more than $300, their standard version can be found for about $170.00. Anyway, just thought I would throw in more minutia to chew on...

Matt

Ati use what I mentioned earlier - Eyefinity.

You can either use crossfire (ati's version of sli) or get an eyefinity card which supports up to 6 monitors (thats the one im using...6 dp ports - but ive only got 4 screens connected atm. 1 small at the top and 3x24" at the bottom.)

Edit: Eyefinity is proberbly the easiest way to get it to work with multiple monitors since all it requires is you to select the order the 3 screens are supposed to be and then pretty much every single game out there span over all 3. However, some games do get a strange FoV when you use it.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I was really surprised to hear that it only took an hour to implement Matrox.

That's because making a multi-monitor panoramic view work requires nothing else than adjusting the game's camera perspective. It's still the normal game screen, but it is projected a little bit different. What you're asking for is to make different things show in different monitors, and that is a completely different thing.

That's because making a multi-monitor panoramic view work requires nothing else than adjusting the game's camera perspective. It's still the normal game screen, but it is projected a little bit different. What you're asking for is to make different things show in different monitors, and that is a completely different thing.

Indeed it is! One thing that would have been nice is if it was possible to open several windows within the game. Like overview map and such. But I think thats pretty much as big challenge to you as it is to view different things on different monitors. And proberbly low priority too.

Having a small window in a corner showing crucial losses (like closeup on a unit getting destroyed or similar) would also have been worth its weight in gold.

But ofc these are just ideas that proberbly just a few of us want.

While im at the subject of new things for the game - have You decided how much the addons will cost once they are made/released?

Serg,

When you say vertically limited what exactly do you mean? I was thinking off getting this setup but after your comment I want to make sure I know what I am getting.

Just that the screen ratio is very uneven. This can be useful for some games or applications, but less so for others. In the end, it also depends on how you play CM. If you like to have your camera positioned low and looking into the horizon, then the play area is going to fit nicely within a panoramic view, like here:

Combat_M_750x265_5.jpg

For me, though, the benefits of three monitors would be lost because there would be things above and below the screen that I would be missing at the angles that I normally use:

Combat_M_750x265_4.jpg

So for my purposes, a more squarish setup would be more useful...

Panoramic view is good for eg. driving games, but the view is awkwardly shaped if you want to play CM watching the battlefield from top down or similar angle. There is a lot of horizontal space but your view is vertically extremely limited in comparison.

I agree. That's why I went and bought a cheap 32" HD-television. Makes wonders for the immersion for all games, CM included. It looks small in the pics, but IRL it's very impressive when sitting only 80-100 cm from the screen. Here's two pics from my "multipurpose game platform":

77059690.jpg

16272633.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

But unfortunatly it wont handle as high resolution as multiple monitors. I was using my 50" before but it really can't compare to 3x24".

Edit: Btw, you can always flip the monitors 90 degrees and place next to each other. That way you get a more square-ish view than a horizontal one. I actually prefer the horizontal one all games.