Scenario Size

Hello:

Wondering how large the scenarios are in terms of # units compared to Road to Berlin in the demo. I like small scenarios. If you are not a beta tester, maybe you can give me an idea from the CMX1 series.

And contrary to my username I have never owned any of the series.

Thanks,

Gerry

I prefer smaller scenarios as well, but I can only speak from CMSF experience. In those campaigns I never felt overwhelmed by the number of units, except for a couple of missions. Most of them were "medium" (in my perception) sized, with a few small and a few large.

There were numerous user made campaigns for CMSF that had you commanding small numbers of units and I imagine for CMBN there will be 10x as many scenarios and campaigns available, of all sizes.

Edit: I can't imagine having a Normandy game without at least one "Lost squad of paratroopers" type mission or even campaign. Having to link up several squads and then attack a village or something would be great stuff.

As the roughest-possible rule of thumb the 'ideal' scenario size (in my humble opinion) seems to be Company+. But everyone's got his own preferences. I figure much below Company size and a single artilley round landing in the wrong spot can ruin your whole day. Much over two companies and gameplay becomes unweildy. I imagine I'm going to be thoroughly stomped on for making such gross generalizations. :D;)

As the roughest-possible rule of thumb the 'ideal' scenario size (in my humble opinion) seems to be Company+. But everyone's got his own preferences. I figure much below Company size and a single artilley round landing in the wrong spot can ruin your whole day. Much over two companies and gameplay becomes unweildy. I imagine I'm going to be thoroughly stomped on for making such gross generalizations. :D;)

I would definitely agree that that is generally the best size for a scenario. Gives you enough manpower to tackle a handful of objectives as you see fit, with a few extra toys attached to spice things up.

In CMx1 my favorite was reinforced battalion attacking vs. company defending, but smaller fights could also be interesting. Anything larger was just too much to try to play with at this level. I could never understand players who tried to play with entire regiments or even (good lord!) divisions.

I'm not sure what is going to be the ideal size for me in BN. It might come down to what my machine can handle.

Michael

For me company is about as far as I like to go, nice to be close to the action. I find the smaller scale gives you a closer attachment to the action and is for my mind a bit more "realistic" as you are engaged pretty much as a real life Company commander would be.

Perhaps the scenario I enjoyed best out of all my CM things from BO to NATO is the scenario in the British campaign where you have to rescue the crew of a vehicle. Only 5 or so vehicles and maybe 80 to 90 enemy.

I like reinforced Company level scenarios on the average. But then there are times when it's interesting to command a Battalion+ (I liked trying my luck at the "All is Fair" scenario (CMAK) once in a while).

To answer the posters question: My experience is limited to CMx1. But back then there scenarios (lots of them) of all sizes but the majority were roughly Company level with attached units. As to what we will be seeing on final release??? (I quiver with anticipation).

:)

I like scenarios of all reasonable sizes. Anything from platoon sized to multi-company. Platoon sized battles allow me to enjoy the close-up action more, and every action in the battle has significance. Company-plus sized battles give more flexibility and the chance to see some real firepower. Battalion-sized I have to be in a special mode to play.

Normandy hedgerow fighting you could theoretically put a LOT more units on a small map. They were lined up pretty much cheek-by-jowl. In theory maps that we're typically putting a company of infantry on could stand three companies of infantry inhabiting the same spot. With more coming in a follow-on forces. Combine that with mortars and artillery and it could be bloody mayhem. :)

I think one of the great things about CMX2 is that smaller engagements can be a lot more fun now. By smaller like platoon size. For instance the Saving Private Ryan scenario from CMBO would be waaay cooler now with being able to split squads and all that.

As far as my choice I like right around company level, give or take. I can go bigger or smaller but anything over two companies makes it hard for me to pay close attention even in WEGO and I end up getting sloppy with my tactics.

Mord.