German voices

As an aside tho' obviously there is a huge community here with a very wide cross section of the world's peoples seems BFC would have no dramas finding volunteer voice talent to be sure it sounds authentic.

The thing is that they already had authentic voices but decided to go with new, inferior samples.

I can't claim to have noticed any accent oddities in the German voice files, but the work of the one German voice actor (the one who voiced for on-map units as well as calls for fire) was blighted by "quiet shouting" (like when in normal conversation you harshen your voice to indicate that something was shouted rather than spoken in a normal tone).

For CMSF:NATO I replaced the "quiet shouted" German voice files with ones from CMBB/CMAK. For CMBN I'll no doubt work up a sort of Landserstimme mod; and if so, I'll certainly upload it.

And I sure hope good ol' Mord does for CMBN what's already done for CMSF in terms of very-immersion-enhancing voice modding. :D

I can't claim to have noticed any accent oddities in the German voice files, but the work of the one German voice actor (the one voiced for on-map units as well as calls for fire) was blighted by "quiet shouting" (like when in normal conversation you harshen your voice to indicate that something was shouted rather than spoken in a normal tone).

Yup, that's the one.

If the demo german voices make it into the full game, then it should be no problem to replace them with something more realistic. I´ve a dozen of Heeresdruckvorschriften (german field and training regulations) that give good examples of all standard verbal orders, announcements and such. Off course there´s those voice samples left, that are just to indicate a squads "status" (pinned, routed, just sitting idle ect.), but also those can be given a more realistic and dramatic touch. If so many folks care about historically correct camo schemes, ammo penetration values, tactics ect., then I think it´s just valid to take out the last bits of Hollywood from german voices.

....then I think it´s just valid to take out the last bits of Hollywood from german voices.

No, I want more Hollywood in the voice acting! The German voices should all be in heavily accented English, saying stuff like "Steiner! How do you reload?" and they should slap in plenty of sound bites from Curt Jurgens and Robert Shaw, and the Americans should feature more bits from Clint Eastwood and Damian Lewis.

No, I want more Hollywood in the voice acting! The German voices should all be in heavily accented English, saying stuff like "Steiner! How do you reload?" and they should slap in plenty of sound bites from Curt Jurgens and Robert Shaw, and the Americans should feature more bits from Clint Eastwood and Damian Lewis.

Well, I surely see the fun factor in that. :D ...maybe some motivating "Men, I show you were Iron Crosses grow" (in heavily accented german off course), or "Damn, that was close! I just **** my pants!" ...I´d try for sure, as long as it´s one sort or the other (funnny Hollywood, or realistic), but not mixed.

"Last one there gets no beer tonight!"

"Let zem taste Krupp shteel [sic]!"

"You're paid to kill, not dig trenches with your face!"

"Don't vorry... veel get you patched up, Jürgen!"

Seriously, though... there's a certain popular WW2 game from which I'd love to mod voice files into CMBN. :D

I also have some German voice files I got from some reenactor website way back when I still played CMx1, voice files with appropriately loud (actually shouted, suitable to combat environments) voice acting. I would've modded them into CMSF:NATO, but they seemed more suited to the sort of full-on, lead-flying-everywhere, assaults-led-by-bellowing-NCOs combat of WW2.

Count me in if someone wants to redo the german voices. Decent micro is available. If need be I can do a palatinate dialect and to a lesser extent ruhrisch, too. :)

Can you do a good bellowing "Gebt Sperrfeuer, Männer!"? :D

Sound mods should come out pretty quick... there were quite a few for CMSF with much more varied dialogue for the American forces for example (not just "Watch the flanks" over and over :D)

Oh and I'm available if anyone needs someone for an American voice. I don't have an 1940s dialect though ;). I've had people say I sound like I'm from California, but I probably have a little bit of a Southern accent cause I've been in the south for like 2 years now. (and lived there before for short periods of my life) Not anything close to "redneck" sounding though. Personally I can't detect it, but my Mexican friend insists it's there so whatever.

I would totally love some Clint Eastwood thrown in for the American voices too lol.