German voices

My first post here and it's already a complaint but hey, that's how we Germans are. ;)

In the NATO module for CMSF, there were two speakers for German calls for fire. One was a native German while the other sounded more of a Dutch guy. There were no grammatical errors but it severly hurt the immersion for me, so I had to built myself a little mod that replaced him with the voice of his colleague.

Now, while playing the CMBN demo, I noticed that he's back. Not only in the calls for fire but around half of the units' voices are done by him. Why, Battlefront, why? The original CMx1 voices that have made it into CMBN sound awesome and are really motivating. They are of superb quality and I see no reason why one shouldn't use them anymore. It just doesn't feel right right to have a Wehrmacht soldier have a very thick European accent. Please replace those voices in the first patch as replacing them by hand is a lot of work.

Interesting. My first German teacher was a Dutchman (he was a linguist who taught French, Spanish and German at my High School, actually)

He was a very good language teacher, but apparently I picked up some of his Dutch accent in the way I learned to speak German. Native speakers have told me my accent in German is a weird mix of American and Dutch.

For what it's worth, some of the dialects in the American sound files are a bit off, too. Many people may not be aware of this, but American dialects have changed a lot in the past 60 years, and some of the dialects presented in the sound files of CMBN didn't really exist in 1944. Historical dialects of English is an interest of mine...

Not a big deal to me. But someday, if I ever have the time, I'd love get some of my actor friends who are really good with dialects together and try to record a voice mod presenting some of the the authentic lower and middle class American dialects that you'd probably hear spoken by American infantrymen in the 1940s.

I have always been a strong supporter of BFC's Combat Mission games. I think CM:BN is outstanding, based on the demo. However, the sounds and voices are totally lacking. BFC, why did you go all half-assed on the sounds and voices?

The sounds and voices totally affect the ambiance and immersion of a game, and in the case of CMBN they have a very negative impact, which is also the case in CM:SF NATO.

What a bummer.

I have always been a strong supporter of BFC's Combat Mission games. I think CM:BN is outstanding, based on the demo. However, the sounds and voices are totally lacking. BFC, why did you go all half-assed on the sounds and voices?

The sounds and voices totally affect the ambiance and immersion of a game, and in the case of CMBN they have a very negative impact, which is also the case in CM:SF NATO.

What a bummer.

And it begins. :)

Frankly I'm happier than a pig in sh*t that I have the demo.

You mean theres a difference between a German and a Dutch person ? :D

I'm kidding of course.I guess I would get annoyed if everyone of the Americans sounded like Pvt Rizzo from Brooklyn.The demo has been out for over two days now,there are probably 52,000 voice mods already done knowing this community and it's Mod Masters.:D

thats a fantastic perspective...

where in Germany are you from?

Near Wesel at the Rhine in western Germany. IIRC the Wesel railroad bridge was the last bridge over the Rhine that had remained somewhat intact until it was destroyed by German forces as well.

I was very happy when I heard those CMx1 voices back in CMBN, why couldn't they be used to the fulles extent? I opened the Demo brz file and the new speaker is used for some standard phrases that have been in CMx1 for ages.

Near Wesel at the Rhine in western Germany

It is not so long ago that people in the Wesel area were speaking something that could definitely be called Dutch.

Kleve was a famous place for rich Catholic Dutch to send their children to school until the end of the 18th century, as there were no good Catholic schools allowed in the Republic.

Anyway, 19th century nationalism has driven the Dutch and German languages in the border areas much further apart.

Yes, I'd enjoy the authenticity improvements to the German voices, and for American voices I'd enjoy some regional accents and some good period WWII slangy GI talk that is really from the period. Also, more tension and stress in the voices and not quite so relaxed or jokey. -- but it needs to be done VERY carefully because it would be so easy to take it a bit too far and have it come off like a Sgt. Rock comic book. Sometimes bland = good because it sort of fades into the background. But a cool bit of soldier chatter can quickly become annoying on the fourth or 400th hearing...

What a bummer.

Maybe "half-assed" is a little too harsh, but the sounds are lacking. I understand that sound mods will be released, but if it is indeed true that the Garand and K98 sound is the same, how is that supposed to be modded? It's bad enough that the CMSF fire support sound has been recycled. Isn't this supposed to be a new game? In the years that CMBN has been in the making, accurate sound couldn't have been recorded? Now don't get me wrong, I am thankful for the demo, and I am thankful for Battlefront's work to get the game released. But we should also be able to criticize the game. Without criticism, there can never be progress.

...Pvt Rizzo from Brooklyn.

Actually, Pvt. Rizzo isn't that far off the mark. A very high proportion of the straight-leg riflemen in American infantry squads were from a white lower-middle class urban background. So the classic Brooklyn dialect (a dialect almost dead today), South Boston, inner city Chicago etc. would be among the more common dialects in CMBN.

Armored formations are a little different. A much higher proportion of the draftees in armored formations were from rural farming background, mostly because farm boys were much more likely to have experience driving and maintaining large engines (tractors and trucks, primarily) and the Army shunted draftees with these skills into Armored formations.

So, statistically, Rizzo the Italian-American from Brooklyn and Colin the Irish-American from Chicago were more likely to carry a Garand in the infantry, while Sven the Scandanavian-American farmboy from Minnesota and Joe the WASP, son of a cotton farmer from Alabama, were more likely to end up driving a Sherman.

And generally speaking regional dialects were more varied back then than they are now. But it's certainly true that you don't want to go overboard portraying all of these regionalisms. It's a wargame, not a sociological linguistics study, and you don't want the voice sounds to distract from the main action.

I'm sure the sound mods are coming.

yeh, I sometimes wonder if BFC would be better off just announcing the title of the game then sit back and relax while the modders go for it.

As an aside tho' obviously there is a huge community here with a very wide cross section of the world's peoples seems BFC would have no dramas finding volunteer voice talent to be sure it sounds authentic.