Artillery not positioned?

Just playing around in hedgerows being slaughtered by brutal artillery...however, when I decided to throw up my own artillery it shows 'not positioned'. Forgive my ignorance - what is happening?

I'm guessing its something simple - most of my officers are currently hugging trees, hedgrows and the ground - is it because they are being surpressed? Or am I missing something?

Ah that's interesting. I didn't realise it was 'on-map' support as such. I was wasting my mortars in a direct fire role - which was reasonably accurate. But they didn't half run out of ammo quick!

I think a vehicle or two full of mortar bombs is going to be a popular pick in QBs :)

Did anyone check the difference for having your HQ spot for the mortars, and having the actual teams spot? Is accuracy/effect that much different?

Direct fire is the most accurate but accuracy and effectiveness are not always synonymous with mortars.

HQ spot for the mortars, and having the actual teams spot?

My thought is if your mortars are doing direct fire you're badly positioned. A burst of distant unseen MG42 can ruin your whole day. For indirect fire chain of command, unit experience, and supression level all make a difference. I've seen lots of complaints about mortars falling badly off course. It's almost always the FO's fault. You can't see your spotting round fall if you're curled up in a ball cowering. :D

Direct fire mode, though dangerous, has the advantage of being immediate. No call-in delays.

At least there is no borg spotting anymore. Combine onboard mortars (in CM:BO) that could only direct fire, the AI's desire to seemingly kill mortars above all else, and borg spotting and mortars had a hard time surviving. Despite that, I really liked them if you could get them into position to lay down 3-4 minutes of fire at the right time.

My mortars don"t always show in contact and then cannot shoot. What do I need to do to maintain contact and firing capability? I agree, the mortars are very accurate in direct fire mode. Thoughts?

The section HQ (or weapons platoon HQ for the US side) needs to be in contact with the mortar crews (mortar crews have no radio, so it needs to be within viewing or yelling distance). The section HQ is the flag that lights up when you select the mortar crew...

Then the section HQ needs to be in contact with the compagny HQ - green dot in the left lower side of the details picture. And the calling HQ needs to be in contact with the compagny commander as well. All those HQ's have radio's (at least thus far) so they will be in contact unless one of them is cowering or destroyed.

If the section HQ (or weapons platoon HQ) is lost, you can send the Compagny HQ to the mortar crew - it can order them directly. It is no use to put one of the other platoon HQ's next to the mortar crews.. they will just ignore them. (And for larger battles they will ignore the Compagny HQ's from other Compagnies as well I guess).

As German in "the Bocage" it is very easy to have the section HQ move a bit, and lose contact with one or both of the mortar crews. Very frustrating tuill you figure it out :).