How do I set-up units?

OK,

In the set up phase you can just select the unit and hit "Move" then place the curser in the set up zone where you want it and the click the mouse the unit will just "pop" over there

:) right? ( in fact I believe any kind of "move" order will do the same thing, Fast or Quick or Slow is the same, just pick the unit, click any of the move type buttons in the "M" orders tab ok?)

Just a quick note about Road to Berlin and set-up zones.

I suspect the idea of "Road to Berlin" is to get you in the the game and in the "action" of playing the game ASAP. Sort of like "Just hit GO! and Play!" the two other scenarios offer the opportunity to move units around in the set-up area in the set-up phase if you like to play around with that. (it is JUST a Demo, and I think the idea was to get new players playing the game and some combat action going right at the start of playing the game) FWIW

The training mission is not to be played multiplayer, so a restricted setup is not a problem. There are all sorts of reasons a designer might not give a unit a setup zone, but in this case it is simply because the mission was originally designed as a tutorial, and that requires the tutorial author to know where the players various units will start. Even if a unit does not have a setup zone, you can still issue order during setup, including hide, cover arc, deploy weapon, etc.

How do I change the facing of trenches during the setup phase?

I can move them with the (N) command, but no rotation (a la the old (O) command from CMx1)

Place one trench segment into a tile adjacent to another and they will snap to each other at predictable angles. For example: place three trench segments in a row and they should orient to form a straight trench line. Now place one segment adjacent to the center trench of the 3-tile trench line. You should get a "T" intersection.

Place one trench segment into a tile adjacent to another and they will snap to each other at predictable angles. For example: place three trench segments in a row and they should orient to form a straight trench line. Now place one segment adjacent to the center trench of the 3-tile trench line. You should get a "T" intersection.

Ok. But how do I get an arbitrary angle facing on the trench (again thinking of trench setups in CMx1). I note that in the Bocage tutorial there are trenches at what looks like 45 deg angles over on the far right.

Shouldn't I be able to orient a trench at any desired arbitrary angle?

Ok. But how do I get an arbitrary angle facing on the trench

Trenches rotate to the standard directions 90, 45 degrees - because of the need the match them up to the underlying 'action square' grid. Its all about where the soldiers fall in relation to the trench (or wall or bocage). Placing them at an arbitrary angle would cause the units to be positioned around them in an arbitrary way as well, which would not be good.

One small thing about positioning trenches/barbed wire. They're a new type of 'snap-together' object that requires a minimum of two pieces to work. Several in a series can form Ts an X's and corners, etc. etc. But it'll take a bit of practice to master. :)

That I could not position troops in the setup phase for the first tutorial mission was very CONFUSING. I spent like an hour trying to figure out how to position my troops only to find out here that you cannot for this mission. A little documentation in the briefing stating that you are not allowed to position troops would have been helpful for us CMx1 veterans trying out CMBN for the first time.

That I could not position troops in the setup phase for the first tutorial mission was very CONFUSING. I spent like an hour trying to figure out how to position my troops only to find out here that you cannot for this mission. A little documentation in the briefing stating that you are not allowed to position troops would have been helpful for us CMx1 veterans trying out CMBN for the first time.

Same here, although I only spent a few minutes trying to set them up before I said F-it and started playing.

I was looking for that big blue setup box on the map but realized that either they changed it fo the new generation of CM games or the units were locked. I haven't played since 2003, so the manual is helping me out.