Tanks in CMN

Looking back at the original CMBO tank list there are many more than showing in the CMN manual. Assuming the listis historically accurate will the add-on modules eventually cover all these tanks?

I really hope so!!!

German Tanks

H-39 Hotchkiss

Panzer IIL Lynx

Panzer IVG turret skirt

Panzer IVH skirt

Panzer IVJ skirt

Tiger E

Tiger E late

King Tiger Porsche (trap)

King Tiger

PantherA (trap) skirt

PantherG (trap)

PantherG late

Wespe Arty

Marder II TD

Ostwind AA

Wirbelwind AA

Hummel Arty

JagdPanzer IV TH

JagdPanzer IV TH skirt

Nashorn TD

Panzer IV/70(V) TH skirt

JagdTiger TH

JagdPanther TH

Flammpanzer (55F) 50m skirt

Hetzer 38t TH skirt

Marder IIIM late TD

StuH42

StuH42 late skirt

StuG IIIG skirt

StuG IIIG late skirt

StuG IV

Look in the manual, The vehicles included in CMBN were the most common vehicles used by US and Germans during the Summer of 44 .... Later modules will include Commonwealth vehicles and later variants as well as some of those seen less frequently. Of course if you want all that goodness you'll have to buy all the modules.

Does any WW2 history guru know how any of these we are likely to see in the Normandy period?

Well I know the Battlefront team has worked most excellent with this in mind.

However there are shots I believe 2 pictures of a King Tiger (Porsche Turret) that was attached to Panzer Lehr near the St. Lo area. This of course is not enough to halt or alter the package from Battlefront we are about to be delivered. But it would have been rare to see it at best, but it did happen. Most of the big cats were fighting the Canadians and the Brits... god bless them!

What about the StuG IV? I would assume they were in the American sector.

I don't know about other units, but at least 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division "Götz von Berlichingen" was equipped with 42 StuG IV's at the beginning of June. However, SS is not in the base game. One would also imagine that there weren't all that many other StuG IV's in Normandy, as by June 1944 only about 600 StuG IV's had been produced and most would have gone to east front. But I would bet that it will be there in the SS/British module, either way.

What about the StuG IV? I would assume they were in the American sector.

Yes they were there in numbers. The 17th SS GVB were in the US sector with about 42 StuG IV's and numerous AA trucks Sdkfz 7's. They would have been around the Carentan area.

However again as we all know the Waffen SS will be available with the British etc in another package.

LOL Looks like Sergei beat me to the answer... :)

However the JagdPz IV/70 did see action in Normandy... I think Panzer Lehr had 16 or more, the 106th Pz Brigade also were equipped with them also. The 12th SS HJ division did recieve theirs as well, but they arrived after the initial landings. They were also used extensively in the Ardennes offensive.. I think there was over 300 used then. They like all other TD's were always better at defense then offense.

Well I know the Battlefront team has worked most excellent with this in mind.

However there are shots I believe 2 pictures of a King Tiger (Porsche Turret) that was attached to Panzer Lehr near the St. Lo area. This of course is not enough to halt or alter the package from Battlefront we are about to be delivered. But it would have been rare to see it at best, but it did happen. Most of the big cats were fighting the Canadians and the Brits... god bless them!

IIRC, best evidence to date is that, by the end of the closing of the Falaise pocket, American forces actually engaged a grand total of THREE Tiger Is, and no Tiger IIs. What's more, they only ran into these Tiger I at the very end of the Normandy campaign, during the fights to close the Pocket. One of the Beta testers posted the research here a while ago (Rune, maybe?).

So I guess we should be happy they decided to put Tiger Is in the base CMBN game. I'm sure we won't have to wait too long for the Tiger IIs, though -- we'll definitely have them in the British module. IIRC, Steve has already specifically mentioned M18 Hellcats and JagdPanthers will be in before they're done with the CMBN game track. I don't remember any other specific call-outs to date.

CMx2 works this way:

You get a base game which covers a specific operational scenario/time-span. In this base game, you get the major (most common) units for each side. For CMBN this is US Army with Airborne and German Wehrmacht.

First Module (aka 'Commonwealth') will have UK-lead troops (;]) for Normandy/France/Belgium period + Waffen-SS and Fallschirmjäger for the Germans.

Second Module will cover Operation Market Garden and will bring Netherland terrain + UK and Polish paratroups and maybe Luftwaffe-Ground units.

Third module for CMBN will be 'jolly joker'-module - means: it is not clear till now what will be included. Depends on fan-demand, I guess.

All units/vehicles/formations, that where historically introduced on the Westfront after mid-Spetemper 1944, will be covered in the second Family of CMx2 Westfront, till now called 'Bulge' in the community.

Yes they were there in numbers. The 17th SS GVB were in the US sector with about 42 StuG IV's and numerous AA trucks Sdkfz 7's. They would have been around the Carentan area.

However again as we all know the Waffen SS will be available with the British etc in another package.

LOL Looks like Sergei beat me to the answer... :)

However the JagdPz IV/70 did see action in Normandy... I think Panzer Lehr had 16 or more, the 106th Pz Brigade also were equipped with them also. The 12th SS HJ division did recieve theirs as well, but they arrived after the initial landings. They were also used extensively in the Ardennes offensive.. I think there was over 300 used then. They like all other TD's were always better at defense then offense.

Jagdpanzer IV with the L/48 gun saw action in Normandy, but I don't believe the IV/70(V) did, having only entered production in August. Three versions of the Jagdpanzer IV are in the game.