Rangers and Commandos

Will units such as the Rangers make an appearance in the 3rd module?

With Shock Force (SF) Battlefront pointed out that Special Forces (SF... oh wait, never mind) were not in the scope of the game, however commandos and rangers where not that far removed from normal small unit tactics that they could easily opperate within BN. Im not asking for cliff climbing animations for point du hoc but the ability for some historical and fictional "raiding" and so forth would be damn interesting.

IMHO I think the force structure of British Army Commandos and RM Commandos has enough difference from Airborne and Infantry to warrant the inclusion.

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/British/british_commando.htm

US Army Rangers have also a tweaked out OOB TOE

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/UnitedStates/united_states_army_ranger_battal.htm

The quality of the troops would be crack. Just my two cents.

Thing is are they all that different to regular soldiers?

I'm pretty sure you can add single units to a formation. ;) You can't just do anything, though. You can't add a tank to an infantry unit. I think it has to be realistic.

You sure can attach an individual tank to an infantry unit.

You sure can attach an individual tank to an infantry unit.

Heck, with a little ingenuity you can attach a Tiger Tank battalion to a U.S. infantry squad. :D

About Rangers, I can't think of anything that would keep you from cobbling together a reasonably representative force to rename. They did wear the same uniforms and carry the same weapons. Its not like you're trying to recreate imperial Stormtroopers in CM:BN or anything like that.

Not sure the numbers of commando would make for a very interesting game given that they operated in very low numbers but happy to stand corrected

Ok then :

I think that the Commandos and Rangers are a perfect subject for or favourite time waster. A "Commando" in Commonwealth service was really an independent battalion that was tasked with special missions where it operated on its own resources. This ties in fairly neatly with the scale of the game.

This sort of thing could make for some really interesting scenarios, the Raid on St Nazaire is the first one to come to mind, then there are a series of operations in Norway early in the war as well as the Med from 41 to 45 and of course Normandy itself saw large numbers of both and the Commandos went on to Walcheren and operations in support of the Rhine crossings. In the PTO too Australian and British Commando units were employed.

With not too much imagination Commando and similar Ranger actions from through out the war could be modelled with the CM:BN and CM:21AG modules.

More seriously I think in the old SPI game raid it gave you the TOE of a British Commando company which as I recall was something like

64 men with 8 sections of 8 each with 3xStens, 4xSMLE and 1xBren.

There was also a command element and I think some 2"mortars.

Thats a good little force for a small QB scenario.

Peter.

Ok then :

I think that the Commandos and Rangers are a perfect subject for or favourite time waster. A "Commando" in Commonwealth service was really an independent battalion that was tasked with special missions where it operated on its own resources. This ties in fairly neatly with the scale of the game.

This sort of thing could make for some really interesting scenarios, the Raid on St Nazaire is the first one to come to mind, then there are a series of operations in Norway early in the war as well as the Med from 41 to 45 and of course Normandy itself saw large numbers of both and the Commandos went on to Walcheren and operations in support of the Rhine crossings. In the PTO too Australian and British Commando units were employed.

With not too much imagination Commando and similar Ranger actions from through out the war could be modelled with the CM:BN and CM:21AG modules.

corrected.Ill resign my commision immediatley