The evidence that backs up World War II stereotypes - german soldiers on average were

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13141495

After looking through thousands of transcripts where bugged cells had informers planted to start conversations where the allies thought information might be had. German soldiers along with Japanese and Italian are revealed.

It seems that the German soldier on average really was a brutal win at all costs killer, rapist and murderer.

Who will play the villains when CMBN is released?

For me I just like the sexiness of the German equipment and the bad guy that nobody plays underdog. But I don't mind playing either side.

Does anybody have guilt twinges playing the Germans?

You complete git. Nothing in that article says that Germans were rapists and murderers.

This thread should be deleted, it's such crap.

GaJ

Well, maybe he meant to say that Germans were Hitler's willing executioners of a frightful policy of world conquest and genocide?

You complete git. Nothing in that article says that Germans were rapists and murderers.

From TFA:

In the transcripts, ordinary German soldiers relate how they raped and then killed their female victims, for example.

They tell of the casual way in which they killed civilians, in one case simply shooting a man to get his bike.

The accounts express joy at the death of civilians. A pilot tells of a raid on Ashford in Kent in south-eastern England: "There was an event on the market square, crowds of people, speeches being given. We really sprayed them! That was fun!"

In another transcript a submariner boasts of how a ship carrying children had been sunk.

RTFA ... more than just a TLA

This thread should be deleted, it's such crap.

GaJ

a) In the transcripts, ordinary German soldiers relate how they raped and then killed their female victims, for example.

B) They tell of the casual way in which they killed civilians, in one case simply shooting a man to get his bike... or elsewhere in the article the strafing of civilians for fun

the truth shall make ye fret.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13141495

After looking through thousands of transcripts where bugged cells had informers planted to start conversations where the allies thought information might be had. German soldiers along with Japanese and Italian are revealed.

It seems that the German soldier on average really was a brutal win at all costs killer, rapist and murderer.

Who will play the villains when CMBN is released?

For me I just like the sexiness of the German equipment and the bad guy that nobody plays underdog. But I don't mind playing either side.

Does anybody have guilt twinges playing the Germans?

I think you really need to look at the real cause of WWII before you go spouting out like that, I have talked to many German, Hungarian, US vets.... none came accross how you described. How about starting in WWI... Germany the villans then to, who only came to the AID of its ally the Austro-Hungarians.... it was Winston Churchill IMHO the warmnonger who wanted war with Germany because it was possible to take all of Germanies Colonies then.... have you thought about that scenerio? What if it was your country who lost everything to help out a friend in need... would you not want your territory and pride back? just saying there is more to the German SOLDAT then bloodthirsty personality. Crap.. I could go on and on but that would start a whole new thread, not going to happen because this is about CM Normandy and not political crap. I have no guilt at all playing as the Germans. The germans were and are good people, they were just misled and it cost them dearly. But I think they were justified in getting their rightful territory back. What about now.... Do you not think the Hungarian people are still upset in giving alot of their best territory away to Romania etc.?? I can tell you from talking to the people, that they dislike their Romanian neighbors immensly and feel they have been ill treated.

How about starting in WWI... Germany the villans then to, who only came to the AID of its ally the Austro-Hungarians...

The problem with that is that it was the Kaiser who encouraged the Austrians to go to war against the Serbs.

[About Germany in WW II]

But I think they were justified in getting their rightful territory back.

But they had not the slightest intention of only taking "their rightful territory back", whatever that means. Hitler fully intended to annex all of Poland and all of the lands of the USSR up to the line of the Volga river. About 95% of that area had never been part of Germany.

Add to that the fact that there are so many rival claims to territory in Europe with some degree of historical validity that if we were to settle them by going to war, there would never be any peace. One of the principle reasons for the founding of the League of Nations was to establish a non-aggressive and just means of resolving such disputes. They botched the job for various reasons, mainly having to do with the major powers still pursuing narrowly defined national interests, but the idea is still a valid one. But Hitler and company never had any interest in pursuing it.

Michael

Ghostrider. I don't really believe all german soldiers are as the article says.

The reason I said "it seems" was really a bit of tongue in cheek for yet another media spin depicting German soldiers to "on average" be evil based on what seems to be bias information released many years after the fact.

If you think about it, why would they say they bugged cells where they thought information would be had and then try to say they have the thoughts of average soldiers. I mean if I was to use time efficiently and had limited resources I would bug officers cells not average soldiers cells.

The article also does not differentiate between SS and standard german army soldiers.

There are frankly a lot of holes in the article. Apart from people wanting to sell books it would seem on the back of sensationalism.

However I did find it interesting that they drew an average from this data. Especially when soldiers talk amongst themselves often in ways that do not reflect their actual opinions, rather their "heroic" show off mode.

Who will play the villains?

Whoever the player wants to be the villains.

I imagine some play as the Syrians in CMSF because they think think Western troops — <sarcasm> with their daily machine-gunning of families driving to market and weekly bombing of wedding celebrations </sarcasm> — are the "bad guys".

We look back at the German soldier (to say nothing of the Waffen-SS trooper) and demand: "Why didn't you defect? Why didn't you disobey orders? Why didn't you kill Hitler?" But for any of these questions there is no real answer. At least no answer of the sort most people would want to hear.

As for me, I shall gladly play Allies as well as Axis, because both interest me, and because individuals and groups on both sides did things they'd rather forget.

Hmmm... I guess nobody read this part?

Professor Neitzel told the BBC he doesn't believe any nation had soldiers, who were "naturally" more brutal than any other. The Allies, he said, took no prisoners in the early days of the Normandy landings.

If I had a couple of weeks I think I could fill a pretty good sized set of threads with examples of American soldiers being rather barbaric AND proud of it. Especially in the Pacific, which had all the overtones of a race war as the Germans had in the East.

War is brutal for everybody involved. Especially when nations feel their very existence is at stake. It isn't hard to find evidence of that.

Thread being locked up because this really isn't relevant.

Steve