Scenario Discussions

I like mostly CA battles with the majority of forces being infantry.

When Bulge comes out, I hope someone recreates every damn battle of it, particularly the battle of cheneux:

http://bcompany504pir.org/

(click on "History", then "Cheneux")

I really want it all though, Foy, Bastogne, Stavelot, Stoumont, La Gleize etc. etc. etc. As close as possible to the real thing (by which I mean EXACTLY the same OOB or as much as can be ascertained)

I wonder if someone is going to "Link" a campaign together for that? There are soo many maps of those areas, Im sure someone is bound to make some epic maps, if not upon release then Im sure they will be downloadable.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that WEGO will favour larger maps as time can be spent, where it is clickfest there will be little time to look around to see what else is happening.

SO each scenario designer might need to consider early on whether what is being designed suits both styles of play or favours one or other. Me I have not a clue but will be only playing WeGo and giving general orders for my pixeltruppen to carry out.

Thanks to all of you who have reassured me on this subject!

It certainly looks as though one could build a 'market town' type location or even a representation of Caen if that's what you wanted.

Most defenitely. I have checked out all the Flavor objects about 30 times now! And you can defenitely replicate Caen even to the Abbey in which "Panzer Meyer" used for his observation area. You can make shops, warehouses and all kinds of stuff.

My only question? Howe the heck can we replicate Airfields and Towers? There was the battle west of Caen.....Carpiquet Airport!

The only buildings or tiles I have not seen would be that of Hangars, (You could make them though) Tower, and Airfield Tiles and fluff that would go with it (Like parked Aircraft...LOL)

I know thats stretching it... Maybe use a Highway Tile or something?

Here is a cool link from the Canadians that fought near Caen and Carpiquet Airport.

http://www.wwii.ca/photo/136/normandy-caen-carpiquet/#next

Also it would be nice to have this German vehicle. Sd.Kfz. 11 But for some reason there are really no AA guns, etc. But I think you needed the Sd.Kfz. 11 to tow the 88's around. I guess the notion is, when the gun is set up why would you need to move it, or something? Anyways I know the US "Duece" could tow just about everything.

And horses . . . . don't forget the horse teams. Every game seems to ignore the fact that the Germans still used a lot of horses.

You could have fun with the horse sh## sprite! ;)

LOL randomly dropping dung everywhere. Just think of the poor lads lying down in it using a dead horse as cover. I wonder if they would model the dung like mud?

LOL!

Yes, it will be a disappointment if CMBN doesn't model farm animals too. Cattle, horses, sheep, both dead and alive. After all barking farm dogs and startled chickens must play havoc with a clandestine recon!

Not to mention maintaining noise discipline amongst soldier's pets and Company mascots! (Remember the chicken that jumped at Arnhem!)

I wonder if someone is going to "Link" a campaign together for that? There are soo many maps of those areas, Im sure someone is bound to make some epic maps, if not upon release then Im sure they will be downloadable.

For Red Orchestra (yes yes I know you all hate it because the tanks behave unrealistically and you can pick up enemy weapons and shooters are for brainless kids :P---tanks will be practically simulator level in the sequel though :cool:) someone who lives in Belgium actually drove around to every single town that Peiper's unit had a battle over during the Battle of the Bulge. He would take pictures of every structure and then recreated the whole village in the map editor.

As a result many consider his maps the best in Darkest Hour (west front mod for RO), because they FEEL so real (because they look basically identical to the real thing). One funny thing is that on the Stavelot map one of the objectives is named "Titi's house". Turns out that's his grandmother's nickname and she actually lived there during the war ;).

It was pretty sweet. I hope someone can do something similar for CMBN, Bulge etc... we have plenty of people who play this game who live at or near WW2 battle sites.

I lived in Southern France for 6 years... shame I'm not there right now... course I would probably suck at making maps having NEVER done it before ;). I never did get the chance to visit the Normandy region :(. Did see a bit of Paris and Alsace though (the latter being absolutely beautiful).

For Red Orchestra (yes yes I know you all hate it because the tanks behave unrealistically

...yes it's unrealistic - a tank can take cover behind another regardless of if that one is alive or smoking and friendly tanks block both LOS + LOF ;););)

As a result many consider his maps the best in Darkest Hour (west front mod for RO), because they FEEL so real (because they look basically identical to the real thing).

I hope someone can do something similar for CMBN, Bulge etc... we have plenty of people who play this game who live at or near WW2 battle sites.

I agree. Those Bulge maps are a joy to play because of the historic believability and it would be great if it was possible to mod CM:BN in the same way.

Somebody in the know might enlighten us - would that be possible?

IIRC there is only a given set of buildings in CM:BN, so my guess is that the "limitless" freedom found in the mapmaking of Red Orchestra/Darkest Hour would probably not be possible in CM.

I understand that building texture mods can be selected though which increases versatility somewhat.

I recall with CM1 the texture mod was random from maybe 3 options per building. The mod chosen was dependent on the map grid square in which it was placed, and could change as other objects were added.

Hence there was many a time when I carefully moved a barn about a field to get the 'barn' texture only to find when I'd finished the map it was beautiful cottage in the middle of a field!

From my point of view being able to 'lock' the texture of choice is/ would be a bonus.

I hope that additional texture mods can simply be added to the appropriate directory, suitably named of course, and thus increase the drop-down(?) texture mod list for selection.

If I'm correct, that would be absolutely superb. :)

For designers : )

Driving through Normandy on a big road : )

Note that this is around 70 years later and is probably in slightly better nick and wider than it was. Note the mix of serious bocage and not serious. Also fields are probably bigger to accomodate tractors. And then a single road.

Both of those videos are in pretty flat terrain so probably not into the bocage proper and more towards the coast. This video is from Somerset in the UK and is actually probably the right sort of vintage width : ) Not particularly hilly or the hedges particularly high [ possibly because of arable fields or barbed wire being introduced] but the road is sunken.

For designers : )

Driving through Normandy on a big road : )

Note that this is around 70 years later and is probably in slightly better nick and wider than it was. Note the mix of serious bocage and not serious. Also fields are probably bigger to accomodate tractors. And then a single road.

Both of those videos are in pretty flat terrain so probably not into the bocage proper and more towards the coast. This video is from Somerset in the UK and is actually probably the right sort of vintage width : ) Not particularly hilly or the hedges particularly high [ possibly because of arable fields or barbed wire being introduced] but the road is sunken.

Thanks for posting this!