CMBN Operation Carentan

I've had a massive rethink of my CMBN Omaha to St Lo operation after numerous discussions with the BF community and i have changed and greatly simplified the game system, the scale of the operational area and the setting.

Attached is a link to my new website, the game will be a beta test for the system i have devised.

Thanks to everyone that commented on this project, i am looking forward to recieving feedback about this new idea.

Sounds really interesting, keep us posted!

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike, i will announce it officially once i've finished the paperwork, i need to get my hands on CMBN to finalise the system but i have it pre ordered so i'm not going to be too far away from starting it.

I will put you on the list of players who have so far shown an interest, i need 12 and i have 5 plus yourself, any side preference ?

I'm interested, too. The rules confuse me however.

Wheres the connection to snakes & ladders? What force do I play? Who controls these forces? Is there a supreme commander on each side?

Oh, and please: websites shouldn't be side scrolling...:)

I'm interested, too. The rules confuse me however.

Wheres the connection to snakes & ladders? What force do I play? Who controls these forces? Is there a supreme commander on each side?

Oh, and please: websites shouldn't be side scrolling...:)

The connection to snakes and ladders is that if you lose a CMBN battle you are bounced back to the rear or top edge of the operational map depending on which side you belong to, so like in snakes and ladders if you land on a snake you slide backwards :)

You choose the side you want, as for the forces and control of them please read the section entitled "Playing Method" and "Engagement Rules".

Also about side scrolling, if you can access all the information in the site what does it matter if some parts are side scrolling ?

The connection to snakes and ladders is that if you lose a CMBN battle you are bounced back to the rear or top edge of the operational map depending on which side you belong to, so like in snakes and ladders if you land on a snake you slide backwards :)

This might be the wrong place to discuss s&l but here we go: in s&l AFAIK nothing happens when you land in the same field as an opponent. And landing on a ladder leads to what in your game? Sorry - that picture does not work out.

You choose the side you want, as for the forces and control of them please read the section entitled "Playing Method" and "Engagement Rules".

You write 'their forces' - which forces? One counter, a batallion?

Also about side scrolling, if you can access all the information in the site what does it matter if some parts are side scrolling ?

Is that a joke? Side scrolling is awful in every respect. You could also switch to BLINK the whole page and the information is still there.

This might be the wrong place to discuss s&l but here we go: in s&l AFAIK nothing happens when you land in the same field as an opponent. And landing on a ladder leads to what in your game? Sorry - that picture does not work out.

I agree and i have dropped the analogy, i have re written that section if you want to look at it again.

You write 'their forces' - which forces? One counter, a batallion?

Its in the newly written section entitled Game System.

Is that a joke? Side scrolling is awful in every respect. You could also switch to BLINK the whole page and the information is still there.

This is my first time at constructing a website so you will have to forgive my ignorance of such matters, what is BLINK ? and how do i activate it ?

This is my first time at constructing a website so you will have to forgive my ignorance of such matters, what is BLINK ? and how do i activate it ?

He's being sarcastic.

BLINK tags are something you want to stay very very VERY far away from. Like side-scrolling.

Im fascinated to know why side scrolling is such an issue, its the first time its been brought up and im bewildered, whats so bad about having to move your mouse wheel backwards and forwards ?

Im fascinated to know why side scrolling is such an issue, its the first time its been brought up and im bewildered, whats so bad about having to move your mouse wheel backwards and forwards ?

Even if the mousewheel worked like that in every browser (it doesn't for me in Firefox for your page) it means that you have to move the page back and forth to just read a paragraph.

And many people keep their browser width moderate, because text is easier to read on lines that are not too wide.

Even if the mousewheel worked like that in every browser (it doesn't for me in Firefox for your page) it means that you have to move the page back and forth to just read a paragraph.

And many people keep their browser width moderate, because text is easier to read on lines that are not too wide.

So what you are saying is that you have to put your mouse pointer on the scroll bar and pull it down to read the whole page ?

The bad thing with sidescrolling is that you have to do something (scroll/move your fingers/...) to be able to read a single line. And then you scroll back again to be able to read the beginning of the first line.

Annoying.

Very.

If you give your text a percentage of screen width instead of fixed pixel width you don't have scrolling (if the percentages don't add up to more than 100% obviously). Should be an option in the program you use for designing.

The bad thing with sidescrolling is that you have to do something (scroll/move your fingers/...) to be able to read a single line. And then you scroll back again to be able to read the beginning of the first line.

Annoying.

Very.

If you give your text a percentage of screen width instead of fixed pixel width you don't have scrolling (if the percentages don't add up to more than 100% obviously). Should be an option in the program you use for designing.

Well to be honest i've never had a problem with scoll bars or been bothered about using them or my fingers so i guess my website will filter out the people that don't like having to do something with their fingers, i think i might be able to live with that.

Thanks for the other comments about the site, very usefull.

Side-scrolling is when the page is too wide, not too long.

In your overlay.css you've got:

#sites-chrome-page-wrapper {

width: 1600px !important;

}

and

#sites-chrome-everything {

min-width: 1600px !important;

}

Take that out and replace them with a relative declarations (90% perhaps) and see how you get on.

Side-scrolling is when the page is too wide, not too long.

In your overlay.css you've got:

#sites-chrome-page-wrapper {

width: 1600px !important;

}

and

#sites-chrome-everything {

min-width: 1600px !important;

}

Take that out and replace them with a relative declarations (90% perhaps) and see how you get on.

I havent got a clue what you are talking about, im using google sites and i just set it up so it looks ok on my PC, i dont know anything technical about site construction so if you are going to give me advice you better talk me through it step by step.

Re. side scrolling

Are you copy&pasting from excel to make the website as the content (looking at the Introduction page) is embedded in (non breaking) tables rather than simple (breaking) paragraphs.

No im not copying and pasting, im typing text in the spaces provided on the site so that it looks ok to me on my PC which it does, if people cannot read it then thats an issue, if its just the fact that people have to use a scroll bar that isnt as far as im concerned.

No im not copying and pasting, im typing text in the spaces provided on the site so that it looks ok to me on my PC which it does, if people cannot read it then thats an issue, if its just the fact that people have to use a scroll bar that isnt as far as im concerned.

That's the spirit :rolleyes:

I take it you aren't in a public facing role?

whats this all about here? you guys talk about this page? -> https://sites.google.com/site/cmbnoperationcarentan/

i have no side scrolling on this page that i could find, anyone here stilll got a 15" monitor and browsing with 800x600 or worse?

I can enlarge my browser window if I need to, but normally I keep it at a width of about 1000 pixels, otherwise the text lines in for instance this forum become unpractically long.

whats this all about here? you guys talk about this page? -> https://sites.google.com/site/cmbnoperationcarentan/

i have no side scrolling on this page that i could find, anyone here stilll got a 15" monitor and browsing with 800x600 or worse?

On my wide screen monitor it has no scroll bars either.... except it's like trying to read A3 Landscape paper. You physically have to turn your head to scan the lines.

In my view, not the most comfortable way to read text.

Noba.