WeGo questions

...After a while you kind of get the feel of what the movement will be like, but most of the time I still stick to short movement orders.

In the last video there were two instances of units not going where expected. IIRC the panther not crossing a hedge and some infantry not jumping over a hedge but going around it. Thats why I'm asking.

There are games which give you a preview of the expected path. That leads to some micro-management but also helps prevent some frustration. Or maybe its a feature to create more realism? ;)

@jby: Grüß Gott und auf ein Wiedersehen in der Normandie! :)

The whole point of hedges is to be an obstacle and in the country cows leaning on them means they tend to be tough. The idea of jumping a hedge is perhaps a townies view of hedges : )

I think the AI choosing a path is realistic in the general way. If you are in acction it probably pays to give more specific orders ... as long as they make sense the AI will do what you want. {I guess as I do not yet have CMBN]

IIRC there used to a be a red line that appeared if a move order took a unit through unpassable terrain for that unit.

What it looks like now is to accomodate the RT aspect of the game, the Tac AI just accepts any movement order and does its best.

As stated above, small orders that only take up the next minute's worth of time may tend to work better. Make sure that you learn which terrain is passable by which unit type to keep the "wanderlust" from setting in.

---------------------

I would like to be able to switch from PBEM WEGO to live WEGO during a battle myself.

Send turns all week, then get together online with your opponent on Friday or Saturday night for a few turns of blitzing WEGO action.

I think we're inadvertantly using the words "hedges" and "bocage" interchangeably. They're two different things in the game. Soldiers will hop over and tanks will drive through hedges nicely. Its the low bocage that's the real obstacle, Like tall bocage but with somewhat better LOS over it. Hedge and low bocage look similar enough that during the height of battle someone might order his men to jump over one thinking its the other. Oops! :)

I think we're inadvertantly using the words "hedges" and "bocage" interchangeably. They're two different things in the game. Soldiers will hop over and tanks will drive through hedges nicely. Its the low bocage that's the real obstacle, Like tall bocage but with somewhat better LOS over it. Hedge and low bocage look similar enough that during the height of battle someone might order his men to jump over one thinking its the other. Oops! :)

So the game has two sorts of bocage. First I heard of that. I must have words with Other Means as he never mentioned it at the preview.

OTHER MEANS!.......

Showing AI pathing BEFORE pressing the "Go" button in WeGo would seem to be impossible. To me, that's the fun of WeGo. If I give a poor order, I can expect poor execution. If the terrain is broken, I have to give chopped up movement orders. That is, if I care how they get executed.

WeGo means you have time to organize your plan, but the execution is beyond your control. RT means you don't have time to organize, but you have control over the execution.

YMMV.

Try the demo, then decide.

Ken