April 19th 1775

abukede

Today is April 19th... and 236 years ago today the American War of Independence began at a small sleepy village called Lexington.

My how the time has flown by. :P

It's a fad. The whole independence thing. Pretty soon you'll all get bored of it and it won't be "cool" any more and you'll all come back to Blighty.

David Cameron has been told by a cross-party group of senior peers that the House of Lords is "full" and he must stop creating new members.

The prime minister has created more peers more quickly than any of his post-war predecessors, having ennobled 117 people in less than a year.

Unfortunately for those like myself who have an antipathy to politicians there are now more than ever in the Upper House. The effect on the culture of the Chamber has been noticeable - and not for the better.

Edit for ME

A baronet (traditional abbreviation Bart, modern abbreviation Bt) or the rare female equivalent, a baronetess (abbreviation Btss), is the holder of a hereditary baronetcy awarded by the British Crown. The practice of awarding baronetcies was originally introduced in England and Ireland by James I of England in 1611 in order to raise funds, and is now practically obsolete as hereditary honours are generally no longer recommended.

A baronetcy is the only hereditary honour which is not a peerage; baronets are commoners. A baronet is styled "Sir" like a knight, but ranks above all knighthoods except for the Order of the Garter and the Order of the Thistle. A baronetcy is not a knighthood and the recipient does not receive an accolade.

Edit for ME

Quote:

A baronet (traditional abbreviation Bart, modern abbreviation Bt) or the rare female equivalent, a baronetess (abbreviation Btss), is the holder of a hereditary baronetcy awarded by the British Crown. The practice of awarding baronetcies was originally introduced in England and Ireland by James I of England in 1611 in order to raise funds, and is now practically obsolete as hereditary honours are generally no longer recommended.

A baronetcy is the only hereditary honour which is not a peerage; baronets are commoners. A baronet is styled "Sir" like a knight, but ranks above all knighthoods except for the Order of the Garter and the Order of the Thistle. A baronetcy is not a knighthood and the recipient does not receive an accolade.

My, my. You Limeys do make life complicated, don't you? I suspect you have the most thinly layered pecking order on the planet. Perhaps that in some way derives for all being crowded together on a small island.

Michael

Are they counted as part of the nobility, or is that considered the same as the aristocracy? And how about baronets?

Michael

Depends where you live I think - it seems to vary wildly, so I'm restricting myself to comments about the British system.

According to wiki, in the "British" system only the Sovereign and hereditary peers are not commoners. So even Prince william & Princess Anne are commoners, as they have no title of peerage.

Nobility is less well defined, but seems to include non-hereditary title holders such as knights and baronets, and even untitled offspring.

Obviously in places without titled "gentry" the terms have been suborned with other meanings more appropriate - so in the US the "aristocracy" probably refers to "old money" families & political and business dynasties & that terminology is understood worldwide too as it is more common than the traditional meanings.

Obviously in places without titled "gentry" the terms have been suborned with other meanings more appropriate - so in the US the "aristocracy" probably refers to "old money" families & political and business dynasties & that terminology is understood worldwide too as it is more common than the traditional meanings.

That's pretty much how it is in the US, although not strictly confined to "old" money. Of course, seniority does count, but in many circles the size of the wad counts more. What it really comes down to is who has clout and who does not.

Michael

Writer Mark Urban contends that this war was where the British army lost the battle against the American revolutionaries but revolutionised the way it fought and came up with the tactics and doctrines that enabled it to defeat Napoleon.

That's an interesting thesis. Where does he say that? I wouldn't mind pursuing this a bit further.

Michael

Seems unlikely - the British Army didn't use any different tactics in the Revolutionary Wars & it was only Wellesly himself who had different tactics from the rest with his typical reverse slope deployments. His first experiences were in Flanders in 1793 where he learned how poor supply and HQ arrangements could ruin a campaign - a lesson which stood him in good stead in the Peninsular.

Light infantry famously was only expanded and improved as a result of the revolutionary wars experiences, and cavalry remained poor until Wellington beat it into shape in the Peninsular.

I'm not sure what the lesson(s) he thinks the Brits learned was - haven't read the book - could you provide a precis?

Seems unlikely - the British Army didn't use any different tactics in the Revolutionary Wars & it was only Wellesly himself who had different tactics from the rest with his typical reverse slope deployments. His first experiences were in Flanders in 1793 where he learned how poor supply and HQ arrangements could ruin a campaign - a lesson which stood him in good stead in the Peninsular.

Light infantry famously was only expanded and improved as a result of the revolutionary wars experiences, and cavalry remained poor until Wellington beat it into shape in the Peninsular.

I'm not sure what the lesson(s) he thinks the Brits learned was - haven't read the book - could you provide a precis?

Also interesting. Looks like we may have a jolly good controversy going here. By all means pursue it as far as you like, gentlemen.

:)

Michael