AA guns in CMBN ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CMSF NATO and CM:Afghanistan both have Shilkas, but no, no directing AAA fire skyward ay imaginary aircraft.

I rather suspect in most instances it wasn't the AAA on the spot that nailed the attacking fighter but rather adjacent AAA that followed the dive in or the climb out. In other words the bulk of AAA defense would largely take place off-map.

The Allies had total air superiority in Normandy, so AAA effects (while nice to have) would not make much basic difference to the outcome. Those who like historical play can either accept that fact and have fun fighting their way around that historical situation, while those who like a more a level playing field can ban air assets from their games and enjoy it as as more of a sports match. I don't see the problem, really.

To me it's not about AA and air strikes. I agree with a previous posters who reckon all that would happen off-map. However I would like to have AA assets that could be placed and used in ground attack/defense. I don't particularly mind if it's not 100% historical since it's a game. CMBN provides us with a sandbox and that's some of the fun for me.

To me it's not about AA and air strikes. I agree with a previous posters who reckon all that would happen off-map. However I would like to have AA assets that could be placed and used in ground attack/defense. I don't particularly mind if it's not 100% historical since it's a game. CMBN provides us with a sandbox and that's some of the fun for me.

This.

Also, how can we create a scenario based on episode two of Band of Brothers without at least the models available? Really, what would Lt. Winters think...

The Allies had total air superiority in Normandy, so AAA effects (while nice to have) would not make much basic difference to the outcome. Those who like historical play can either accept that fact and have fun fighting their way around that historical situation, while those who like a more a level playing field can ban air assets from their games and enjoy it as as more of a sports match. I don't see the problem, really.

The Allies having air superiority is historical. The Germans having no AA is not.

Reminds me of a story that occurred after the landing in Normandy (going off memory here, so the details may not be exact). A German Tiger commander ordered an 88mm flak gun commander to engage enemy tanks instead of aircraft. The flak commander initially refused, telling the tanker that it wasn't his responsibility to target tanks. As the story goes, at this point the tank commander thrust his Luger in the flak commander's face and told him, 'you can either die here right now, or you can earn yourself a medal.' The man naturally complied. :D