IRON and Enemy unit Info

Steve,

I know you guys a have a billion things on your to-do-list, but...

And, I'm assuming this will be the same in CM:BN.

Would it be possible, sometime in the future, that at least for 'IRON' level, the individual unit titles that are displayed from enemy contacts and enemy corpses in the tray are removed?

At present, the way it works gives too much information away. It's not unrealistic to ID an AT weapon, but Seeing 'Squad#3' or 'Group B HQ' etc, makes estimating enemy strength and losses far easier than it should be.

I realize that this is not that big a deal when playing solo against the AI, but when playing H2H in WEGO it could be abused.

Steve mentioned some time ago that they would try to make the information more general.

But if exact identification would be possible by looking at the 3D image, this would be unfair for those who wouldn't take the trouble of looking at the figures.

Misidentification would not be in for this release though, because of the inability of the engine to use different 3D shapes for sightings than for 'real'.

Mord's mod is a nice piece of work and definitely improves the visual fog of war in CMSF.

But, it still doesn't address the underlying issue of how easy it is to ID enemy units by their name labels in the tray.

Personally, I think for IRON level at least, that I would rather not be able to select an enemy unit at all during the battle, rather than have the current information available as it is.

Personally, I think for IRON level at least, that I would rather not be able to select an enemy unit at all during the battle, rather than have the current information available as it is.

I agree with this one. Best you get is a unit type icon when you get clear and close LOS. Otherwise it's a generic ? or infantry or vehicle. Gets easier the bigger the unit, 4 man HQ vs a tiger etc etc. You can't select it and see a break down of the unit. Just a 'that looks like an HQ'... How many guys and exactly what's in it just isn't available unitl maybe the after battle review.

Make things all the more interesting.

Has there every been talk of having limited camera modes so you can't browse all over the map? ie you're limited to as far as your troops can see. Like the iron man system in CM1 where you couldn't go above level 1 locked to units? (Sorry I've basically no CMSF experience so dunno if this exists). It wasn't coded, you had to do it yourself.

-F

I suggested sumfink like this elsewhere; a "Titanium" mode where if you haven't clicked on a friendly all you see is a blank (unit free) map. If you then added a function where each player AI group could be given a PIN and a player could only control those Groups he had the PIN for, you could have a very basic form of PBEM coplay....

On the other hand, even in Iron mode, if your unit detects an AT gun, they are not likely to forget it. Unfortunately, a player who is doing PBEM, may miss or forget it.

Isn't it reasonable and more authentic for your units to have a 'memory' of the type of unit that they've identified? Certainly more authentic than having the 'godlike' player forget!

The above should only happen in Iron mode if the unit in question could absolutely ID the enemy.

A minor annoyance for me in SF is that whenever your unit spots a tank and then loses sight of it, the generic '?' is displayed. In RL your units simply would not fail to notice the difference between an infantry unit and an AFV, but you as a PBEM player may.

There should be "AFV?" and "Infantry?" markers for contacts that you lose sight with.

On the other hand, even in Iron mode, if your unit detects an AT gun, they are not likely to forget it. Unfortunately, a player who is doing PBEM, may miss or forget it.

Isn't it reasonable and more authentic for your units to have a 'memory' of the type of unit that they've identified? Certainly more authentic than having the 'godlike' player forget!

The above should only happen in Iron mode if the unit in question could absolutely ID the enemy.

A minor annoyance for me in SF is that whenever your unit spots a tank and then loses sight of it, the generic '?' is displayed. In RL your units simply would not fail to notice the difference between an infantry unit and an AFV, but you as a PBEM player may.

There should be "AFV?" and "Infantry?" markers for contacts that you lose sight with.

Ooh I like, definitely agree with that. It would also be cool if you could put markers down, or if your guys did that automatically for the more important things, for example: "Tiger in the woods on our flank" might be a situation where your guys would take note of the unit.