Failure: Strom of War, or IL2 Clifts of Dover

Seems that their fail to release a playable flight simulator... bugs, low performance and lack of expected features, did a knightmare release.

This kind of releases without enought testing and features are of great damage for the image of the company and distribuitor.

Will be the release of CM Battle of Normandy mature enought for a release at April's end?.

Or will we need to wait for several patchs to enjoy the game?.

As customer i prefer a delay in release, than a low quality product.

um... i own this game and it has all the features I want. They are patching within the next few weeks and if the patch features are as promised this will be a worthy successor to il2.

I agree that performance is a problem on release. But the game itself is amazing!

As for the CM normandy I saw at the live preview. I do not think they will need to patch to make it enjoyable from day0.

You should be able to expect a well polished product. IL2COD will be released by Ubisoft, and while having a huge publisher helps in some ways, you are then bound by the suits to release the game by a certain date lest the company stocks lose 0.02% of their value, oh horror! Battlefront has no such problem with CMBN.

With CMSF there was a retail deal with Paradox which didn't go well, but BFC took heed from that. Initially CMBN will be available from BFC, only from BFC and nobody else but BFC. This means that they are not contractually bound to release the game before they feel it's ready.

Silly question to be honest...CMSF plays very well indeed and CMBN uses the same engine...so all the problems where ironed out with CMSF....blimey read to many of these posts about whther the game will be bugged...how can it be when we have CMSF.....

New features can often be laced with bugs. It's hard to think of every situation ever and catching them all when initially programming something new, so bugs are inevitable. But we've got a lot of great testers out there hitting it hard at all times. It will never end and the result will always be that the game and engine are getting better all the time. This is why so many of us are so excited about CMBN. ;)

Part of the performance issue from what I've heard is a mandatory "anti-epilepsy" thing that Ubisoft imposed on Oleg's work that apparently puts a huge strain on computers... but they've sinced announced it is now optional. However by default it is turned on. So make sure you turn that baby off!

Anyways, I have full confidence in Oleg and his team making CoD into a worthy successor, even if it takes a few years (like BFC ;))

Till then I'll keep rocking Sturmovik... after all several hundred people still play it every day online through hyperlobby (peak hours around 400-500).

Anyways, I have full confidence in Oleg and his team making CoD into a worthy successor, even if it takes a few years (like BFC ;))

I was kind of shocked that Oleg would tie himself to an outfit like Ubisoft, but I suppose in this day and age one can't be too choosy about one's partners if no one else wants to dance...

I hope you are right nox, I hope you are right. Oleg deserves the best support possible.

I was kind of shocked that Oleg would tie himself to an outfit like Ubisoft, but I suppose in this day and age one can't be too choosy about one's partners if no one else wants to dance...

I hope you are right nox, I hope you are right. Oleg deserves the best support possible.

I have absolute confidence in Ubisoft and their ability to take the best game series and destroy them totally.

Silent Hunter is but the most recent example of a game with a strong tradition and a dedicated playerbase that has been left unfinished and unsupported by Ubisoft (which seems to have sealed the fate of the game series).

Re CMBN , i believe (IMO) many of the initial problems with the release of CMSF were much to do with the new CMx2 game engine that now , after several patches an modules works like a dream. CMBN is based on this same CMx2 game engine, many of the problems that plagued the CMSF initial release were ironed out. Would expect a much better standard of software upon the release of CMBN.

Re CMBN , i believe (IMO) many of the initial problems with the release of CMSF were much to do with the new CMx2 game engine that now , after several patches an modules works like a dream. CMBN is based on this same CMx2 game engine, many of the problems that plagued the CMSF initial release were ironed out. Would expect a much better standard of software upon the release of CMBN.

Exactly - and IL2 Cliffs of Dover is a new engine, so issues are inevitable ( not helped by Ubisoft's meddling with the imposition of the epilepsy filter, work on which probably took valuable time away from pre-release optimisation ).

CMSF plays so well now i'm starting to worry CMBN will be a disappointment ... and this is coming from someone who gave up on CMSF a week after its first release. Currently playing the UK module crucible battle , lovely green map , plenty of space, nice counter attacking from the AI , good armour / inf mix , cannot imagine CMBN being any better than it !

he is referring to the release of CM normandy?

Yes...

I will be glad if the release is better than the one with CMSF...

Reviews only check the game release... not the patchs after that.

To get good points, it needs to be good in the first release.

Many customers don't even try the demo if they read a bad review.

Cid250...there is no way it will be similar to the CMSF release...it's juts not a possibilty because the engine was ironed out with CMSF...I think thats why they made a modern version first...so the WW2 version will have a stable, working and enhanced engine straight off the bat...

...I think thats why they made a modern version first...so the WW2 version will have a stable, working and enhanced engine straight off the bat...

And I think they made a game in a modern setting for a number of reasons. It was just a happy consequence that when they got around to returning to my favorite war (and what a damned funny sounding statement that is), that the engine would be finely tuned and purring like a kitten.

Michael

Yes...

I will be glad if the release is better than the one with CMSF...

Did you even bother to read the responses to your OP? Or do you have a comprehension problem?

CMBN is based on the CMSF engine and benefited from all of the learnings that 2+ years of development makes possible.

There is NO WAY that CMBN will be a buggy mess.

Did you even bother to read the responses to your OP? Or do you have a comprehension problem?

CMBN is based on the CMSF engine and benefited from all of the learnings that 2+ years of development makes possible.

There is NO WAY that CMBN will be a buggy mess.

There are a lot of new code:

AT guns

Bridges

Water courses

etc...

Well, crew served cannons were already in CMSF, so ATGs aren't all that novel.

But surely you would recognize that all the new additions have been build on a more solid foundation this time round?

And that's just the gameplay elements. I expect the technical issues to be even less troublesome, comparatively.