Map size bug?

Hey there

ive been working on a couple of scenarios that take place in the same map, but sometimes I make the map bigger and add new areas etc etc

ive come to a situation where the map is vertically 1637m, I want to add atleast 800 meters more downwards and remove some at the top...

but ive come to a situation where it reached about 1850 (changes) downwards and it wont let me add any more distance...

has anyone encountered this before??

Cheers!

I have encountered this before, doing the same thing as you are doing, a "base"map, where I add area to one direction, or both. In general there seems to be a limit how far toward one side or the other you can go, meaning if it is 1600 N to S..there comes a limit where you are stopped if you just keep adding N, and you must add some S then.

And speaking of giant maps LLF, Finally sent you the AAR on yours, sorry it took so long, just a million things going on right now.

I recall that maps have an 'origo' or middle point of sorts, and you can extend them 2000m in each direction of that, so that maximum is 4km x 4km. But you cannot move the map border more than 2km from that 'origo', even if you remove areas from the other direction. So when working on big maps it's always a good idea to extend your map borders evenly to every direction so that you will have room for expansion later on.

The map is set in the middle - so you have limited ranges either side i.e. top and bottom; both sides. Sounds like you have maxed out one side. You should find you can extend it the other way. FWIW I have a 4km x 4km map which is currently a WIP. I can play on it but I'm having to watch how many units I can place on it. Superb to see armour duking it out at 3km! :)

Yeah, what they said. Here's something to think about: I _think_ that flavor objects are placed, not on the tile like terrain or buildings, but based on their relative location to the origin (X,Y=0,0) at the bottom left of the map.

Here's an example. Place a lamp at the side of a street intersection. Say it's located 1200m up and 500m over. That means the streetlamp is located at 500,1200.

Later, you decide the map is too small. You add 500 meters to the bottom. The street intersection moves up 500 meters, as does all the terrain you see on the map editor. However, that streetlamp is STILL located at 500,1200.

You end up with the DESIRED location being at 500,1700 (The original 500,1200+500), but the ACTUAL location stays at 500,1200.

The moral of the story? If you add, or THINK you MAY add to the map, BEFORE you do ANYTHING, extend the map to the left and down as MUCH as you can. Then you can subtract off the top or right to reduce it.

Then again, everything I just wrote might be wrong. ;) But that's what I remember and that's how I do it.

(This is for flavor objects and possibly labels.)

Ken

I've also noticed that when you delete sections of map with lots of doodads on it, the file size doesn't seem to shrink noticeably. Seems like the map "remembers" sections that once existed even if there's no method to get them back once deleted.

So when I make smaller "carve out" submaps based on Ramadi, I go through and delete everything on the deleted sections first prior to removing the squares themselves.

I've also noticed that when you delete sections of map with lots of doodads on it, the file size doesn't seem to shrink noticeably. Seems like the map "remembers" sections that once existed even if there's no method to get them back once deleted.

So when I make smaller "carve out" submaps based on Ramadi, I go through and delete everything on the deleted sections first prior to removing the squares themselves.

hm interesting, I do have sections of the map that have things on them that are cut off :) ill try deleting them see if it changed anything!

thanks for the idea and the help guys!