New old player... quick questions

AstroCat

CM1x player... I got CMSF when it came out, got frustrated with the tech issues and gave up. Been following the CMBN development forever and decided in anticipation I'd give CMSF another go years later. So I patched up the original and am just getting going.

What difficulty do most play on?

Realtime or WEGO?

Any must-have mods or hotkey setups?

For some reason I gravitated towards Veteran and RT, but I am still trying to get a real feel for the game.

Then irony is I'm having fun with it now that it runs fine on my computer, years later! :)

Anecdotaly I believe that Veteran and Elite are the most played.

Realtime or WEGO?

This will vary with everyone you ask. In general, I play WEGO for larger missions, and RealTime for smaller ones.

The only one I would consider close to being a "must-have" is akd's sound mod. It really adds to the game.

Elite. I keep meaning to try Iron, but I'm in the middle of the TF Thunder campaign. I found Veteran was too basic as I was getting too much information about the enemy.

Realtime or WEGO?

Mostly, WEGO. I love the idea of realtime, and play it sometimes. But I like to see the action across the battlefield. I hate it when I'm focused on issuing orders on one side of the map when I hear a boom and missed what happened. Also, I find that my RT times become micro-managing clickfests. I watch some of the YouTube videos of guys doing RT games and they are able to issue big orders. I haven't found that balance (but I try).

All the mod recommendations are good. I also like the NATO style floating icons.

Bob

These are great recommendations. I definitely changed up my hotkeys to be more like CMx1.

I got Scipio's:

CMA Control Panel for CM:Shock Force

Full Coloured 'Green-Yellow' Interface Icons

Full Coloured 'Silhouettes' Interface Icons for CM:Shock Force

AKD Sound Mod v1.2 (will install and check out tonight)

There are few other ones, such as the interface icons (under the troops), transparent icons (above troops) That I will check out as well.

Going for Elite difficulty and about to start the original campaign after I play around with a few one-off battles. Lot's to learn and get used to coming from a long break from WW2 CMx1. :)

AKD Sound Mod v1.2 (will install and check out tonight)

Great mod! I hadn't seriously played CM:SF for quite a while until recently. When BFC fixed the nVidia "flashing" bug I started playing again and installed this mod soon after. CM:SF is like a totally different game now.

I play mainly on "Elite" in "RT" mode. WEGO mode is good for the replays but I find it takes a lot longer than RT for the same reason.

The next mod I would recommend is something that gives both BLUEFOR and REDFOR troops a "ragtag" appearance. I play as the Brits quite a lot (replaying the Brits campaign currently) and there is a mod that gives the Brits a ragtag appearance that includes T-shirts and rolled up sleeves. My Brit troops really look the part now!

Welcome to CMx2!

* I prefer playing WEGO on veteran setting. I would like to get more into RT being I have competed in RTS leagues in the past, but am just SO used to playing CM in WEGO I find it hard to get into a RT mind set with it. Too used to taking my time, and looking at the replay.

* For hotkeys, I use the alternate hotkey that is sticky in this forum. CM seems to work the best having single keys designated for commands. I HIGHLY recomend getting a Notromo speedpad, and mouse with as many programable buttons. Both these things will have you controlling the game with the greatest speed, and efficiency especially if you need speed as in RT.

* MODS: Here are the ones I have, and why;

-Red tracers - They show up better, and look more realistic IMO.

- Syrope terrain - This changes the terrain to a more european terrain with more greens. The green terrain is much easier on my eyes, and looks more inteesting than just desert. I added a grid to mine which I always find usefull in seeing the subtllties in the terrain.

-AKD sound mod- Adds to the immersion. I am running an older version. Is newest that much different?

-American_chatter.339- Adds more emotion to the speaking voices of soldiers. Adds more things they say.

-GENERATIONKILLMOD_CMSF- The radio chatter from the movie is SO much better than the music when the game opens up IMO.

-Base icons mod- ABSOLUTLY an ESSENTIAL! changes the bases to a cheveron shape from a circle to see easier which way soldiers are facing. Very useful!

-Vin's animated text mod- My own mod that changes, and organizes the soldier stat text to make it easier to tell individual actions from another at a glance by use of different type styles, and symbols. Gives the text more interest, and "animated" feel. This incoporates Vein's casualty cross.

-Viewpoint compass- Shows better orientation compared to stock compass.

-There goes the sun mod- gets rid of lens flare from sun that happens at certain camera angles.

I also have many Scipio mods; fire, muzzle flash, explosions ect..

Ok, well I'm modded up like this at the moment:

hotkeys (custom)

AKDSoundMod_v_1_2 (base)

Mords_US_AFV_Radio_Chatter_Mod (finding this a bit distracting, need to remove or edit the files to take down the chatter levels)

HD soundmod 0.68 (music only) - might change later to mix AKD and HD SFX

Mords_Vocal_Mayhem_Mod_Army_And_Marines_Ver_1.21

Mords_Death_Knells_V4

Version 110 Optional Terrain

compass background

Iconed Bases 1_1

proEffects_Tracer

Scipio_Flames_yellow

Scipio_Muzzle_Fire

Scipio_GreenYellow_v130b

Scipio_Silhouettes_v130b

Scipios_CMA_Control_Panel_131a

Vein skybox

Vein explosions - (might change to Scipio testing now)

Vein smoke

Veins_Casulty cross

I will probably mess with the sounds and customize them a bit, going though them all one by one and choosing the ones I like best. As well I'll start looking into some uniform mods, mostly to get the dusted effect.

Still open to suggestions and recommendations! :)

I have a lot of mods that do the same thing, so am not sure which are the active ones.

My understanding is that the mod with the later alphabetical name will be used by the system. Is that correct?

If, so, can one tell simply from the name.

So, will a mod called "Zebra's..." take precedence over a mod named "Alpha's..."?