vietnam expansion

This would definitely be a new game (parallel to CMSF and CMBN) rather than an expansion to CMSF.

I can imagine a 1960s/70s version of the game, to include Vietnam as well as hypothetical Cold War conflicts. I don't know if there are any plans for that era though.

Steve has nixed a Vietnam game, as well as a WWII Pacific Theatre game as essentially unsuited to the CMSF engine and scale of operations, as well as likely to be challenging for most PCs to handle.

I don't personally agree with him.

The primary addition you'd need, which would seem relatively simple for Charles to code, is a "dense jungle" object set that, like Rubble, behaves like an unusual form of Building. The "walls" would be invisible, the "floor" would contain a combo of Brush and Grain, and the (non-accessible like the domes) "roof" would be the tree canopy. You'd also have 5 tree trunks, placed more or less like the 5 spots on the face of a die or domino, but not as tidily spaced.

Like a building, the jungle tile would be semitransparent for playability when units were inside and impassable to vehicles. You would typically intersperse these objects with regular ground containing Brush, Grain and 2/3 trees to make it look more chaotic and less "squared off". You could also throw in logs, boulders, etc. to mess it up even more.

Like a building, you couldn't place it in non-flat terrain. It would be nice to be able to put foxholes in it, but not essential (you can intersperse other tiles).

A couple of new tree types: stocky banana trees and bamboo thicket -- extra tall Grain! -- would also be useful.

And then there are palm-roofed grass huts and hooches -- really more flavour objects than buildings, as they are tactically useless.

I must agree with Steve. Vietnam in more wooded areas would be beatch, just like it is in CMSF aswell. This is aspect in which i think CMSF is mostly "broken" or should i say un-refined. CMSF basically is open plains game and Urban game to some degree.

I don't know would any "minor" overhaul do anything good. I'm not happy with infantry behavior, commands, ability to see microterrain under treetops. Basically lots of small things. I like to play in forested maps with approx 90% of tree cover and very limited visibility, but they generally are not very fun to actually play. I also get strong feeling of doubt when those scenarios are over. As i take CMSF as somesort of simulation i rate that doubt as poor thing.

Vietnam probably could be achievable although with some modifications. However, it was by no means all jungle warfare with actions in urban areas such as Hue, semi conventional infantry warfare on the DMZ and plenty of action in the rural village areas against the Vietcong. Even some tank battles during the late war period (Easter Offensive 1972 and the final 1975 NVA offensive.

I agree that CMSF is particularly good for urban warfare but is that not a result of the weaponry available to both sides. Tank battles in open terrain are sometimes challenging but NATO forces are clearly favoured to win these due to their technological superiority unless ther are significantly larger Syrian numbers of best quality tanks like the T-90 or the best versions of the T-72. However, COIN operations and/or a conventional Syrian defence in dense terrain are a lot more challenging.

Luke

ANy forest in CMSF had to be avoided at all costs...as others have said the game doesn't really do fighting in woods\forests well...so I imagine Jungle to be a real no go...

Now urban warfare like Stalingrad will be superb....the mere thought gives me goose bumps...