So if a newbie to COmbat Mission wanted the game...what do I buy

Is it still supported if I buy the download from Battlefront? Do I just buy Combat Mission Shock Force to start? Then add the modules later?

Also is the latest patch for the version you can buy on the Battlefront site?

Thanks

Also is there a tutorial in the manual?

have these issues been addressed:

blog I read mentioned that there are problems with nvidia cards

The interface is absolutely wretched, with no tutorial to bring new players into the game.

A new turn starts with guys who will be killed already dead and ammo that will be expended already shot. It's time travel to the future in sixty second increments.

Also I read there are no helicopters

If you are unsure about the interface or the turn-based system, you may want to download the demo first. I have an 8800GT card and never had any problems with it, but YMMV on this one.. again, running the demo should bring some clarity.

Other than that: you can buy SF on its own and add any modules you want at a later point in time. Helicopters are off-map assets like airplanes and artillery pieces, they are "in" but never displayed.

if you really want to start playing I would first recommend the downloadable demo: http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmsf/downloads.html

if you like the game (allow time for a steep learning curve) than I would buy a bundled one with all the modules, for one it offers more game choices, and another it allows for more possible human opponents to choose from.

the patches are available at the above link i provided along with the demo.

there is a manual in the physical game, and a pdf manual in the downloaded one... i found my best way of learning the game was experimenting with the computer a bit, and then playing humans willing to help me learn. and of course asking questions here.

you don't directly control aircraft in the game no, you only direct there fire via spotters on the ground.

Not necessarily 100% correct, but broadly:

It is most supported as the download from Battlefront. Anything you buy in the shops will be less supported. You can buy the base game then the modules, or all at once. It doesn't really make much difference.

See above. All CM games are primarily sold via the website

There is quite alot in the manual. The game is supposed to be learnt as it is played so a bit of trial and error should be accounted for.

Some Nvidia cards and drivers have been causing problem - I will defer to someone more knowledgable as to what the current state of play is with that.

The interface is what it is. I wouldn't describe it as "wretched". Perhaps it isn't as polished as some out there, but at the same time I have used worse GUIs.

There isn't really a tutorial. Mainly because a tutorial for the sheer depth of play would be quite difficult to implement. Play it, see how it goes, if you get stuck or frustrated post on here and doubtless someone will help.

I thought that the wego time travelling bug had been fixed. Haven't played wego for a while.

There are helicopters, but perhaps not what you might expect. Gunships fire from off-map, which is quite reasonable given that most of their weapons have a range greater than the whole map. (3-4 times, in some cases). No transport helicopters though.

The best thing to do is to download the free demo from battlefront and see if you like it

Is it still supported if I buy the download from Battlefront? Do I just buy Combat Mission Shock Force to start? Then add the modules later?

Also is the latest patch for the version you can buy on the Battlefront site?

Thanks

Also is there a tutorial in the manual?

have these issues been addressed:

Also I read there are no helicopters

The game is still supported. There isn't a big tutorial, but I found it quite intuitive. The user interface depends on what you're used to. It's not bad, could be better. The biggest criticism of a lot of people was that right-mouse click doesn't bring up a menu with all the orders. This has now changed to the space bar, me personally I use only hotkeys.

Depending on what mode you play, the game either calculates what happens during the next 60 seconds and shows it to you (after which you can give new orders) or the game calculates what happens as you play (like a normal RTS).

There are helicopters in the game, although you won't see them.

The best way to see if the game works for you (gameplay, technical issues, etc...) is just by downloading the free demo.

If you have more questions, just post, most people here are helpful.

The nvidia “flashing” issue has been fixed (if that’s what the comment about graphics cards refers too).

The patches are free.

I’d suggest you look at buying one of the bundles which gives you multiple modules for a lower price (as some of the later modules gives the enemy more capable equipment).

There is a tutorial / series of training scenarios.

Yes there are quite a few modders who enhance the base game terrain, textures, etc. In fact there’s a whole sub section of this forum devoted to the topic.

No there are no “on map” helicopters flying around, but attack helicopters can be available as an air support option and the effects of their fire is certainly felt on the map.

Ok thanks

While running the demo, I get a lot of sound cut out and the peoples voices are garbled and do not play. I was wondering if anyone else had that issue? Or if maybe it was addressed in a patch anyone knows of.

I have a fairly up to date system, Quad Core Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTS 450 Nvidia card but my sound is on board

If you get the game then I'd recomend getting some basic mods quickly.

Some I personally think essential now:

Base Icons Mod- shows a skull and cross bone for dead soldiers.

Icons mod for the the weopons systems. Those green things look crude now.

Sound mod- weapons and emotional cuss mods.

I like the faces mod too.

Also, imo, the thing with CM is it takes a little effort to get into to, but for me it reliabley provides a gaming rush of close calls or unique moments that no other game matches.

I have a fairly up to date system, Quad Core Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTS 450 Nvidia card but my sound is on board

Don't get too excited.

CMx2 (CM:SF and CM:BN so far) are 32 bit applications and don't support multiple CPUs. :)

Having said that my copies of both (CM:BN is a resource hog in "debug" mode) run fine on my Windows 7 64 bit and my Mac when running Windows XP Pro SP3.

Thanks all

Where might I find these mods

I checked the pimp my CM site but the front page only shows a few mods with no download by category link

Thanks all

Where might I find these mods

I checked the pimp my CM site but the front page only shows a few mods with no download by category link

They and nearly all others are on the repositry:

www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314

You could also search this section to find them and then hit the links in the threads:

www.battlefront.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=70

And don't forget to check the Tactics section up top.

Happy hunting.

wow this game is awesome

I got the marine SF bundle, did the bradley ATGM ambush scenario, took a minor defeat, without reading the manual. Nasty but it was a heck of a lot of fun. I had him almost destroyed except I lost due to my casualties i lost 5 men.

Exactly. From what some others have posted here the game can be enjoyed even if losing.

Yes drop them in the Z folder. To stop using the mod- take it out of the Z folder.

I had a similar problem. I had patched my CMSF + Marines to 1.31 but shortly after that I bought the NATO module which brought my game back down to 1.30. Then I had to get the patch for NATO 1.31.

Basically, which ever module is the latest one you have (they go Marines, British, NATO), get that patch (1.31), and select all the modules you have installed on the check box list and your good to go.

You may want to stop at 1.30.

1.31 brings some fixes but breaks other stuff (notably German panzerfausts).

So can I suggest you read what is fixed in 1.31 and make your own decision as to whether having those things “fixed“ is more important than losing some other things (albeit temporarily).