You get to know immediately the HQ tank

I'd think visuals such as antennas would be a big giveaway. As well, the German tactical numbers on turret sides let us all know that "0" is a good aimpoint!

Some early command tanks may've had extra bulges/boxes visible from outside to house the radio gear.

Are these in the game? Regardless, I can see an argument being made either way.

Ken

The more Antennas the more likely the vehicle has an important role. Forward observers, Hq units etc etc have all more antennas then normal vehicles. There were also other remarks like C3K posted. One example is the British Forward Observer Sherman. The British Forward Observer Sherman used to be without a barrel. But they gave it an wooden barrel to make it look like a regular tank. So it could be prevented to be knocked out early.

More important to your question is what will be the effect of taking out an HQ tank in CM:BN. In the CM x1 series with “delay in command” it was devastating. I am not sure how much impact an kill of an HQ tank has in a Tank Platoon atm.

Cool thx (Don't the receivers have antennas as well? Are these obvious from engagement distances?)

I'm guessing the HQ has more antennas (with greater range to talk to people higher up). No idea how visible that would be though.

As for the effect in game of losing an HQ, information will passed along more slowly which reduces spotting capabilities. The units will fight worse in most cases as well, then when they are in command. So not all that different (except for the spotting obviously) from CMx1, but not obviously clear if you don't pay attention to it.

As well, the German tactical numbers on turret sides let us all know that "0" is a good aimpoint!

Much like the big white "X" on the chest of red-coated British soldiers a few centuries back ... "Shoot me right here!" (Which is an improvement over the Scottish kilts with the dangling sporran as a target, I suppose.)

A more generic description in the unit panel would be helpful, it could even be permanent, and more generic icons in the field.

But even then, the real grogs would magnify the figure and see whether it is an officer, so when you can detect it anyway, you should make it easy for everybody.

There is no real alternative for virtual rendering.