Foxholes and Trenches

It's a shame that deformation trenches are such a drain, but I think above ground foxholes and trenches could work quite well.

Here's a few examples of foxholes that work graphically as 'above ground' (if the WW2 guy is the second pic is kneeling that is).

foxholes.jpg

It's a shame that deformation trenches are such a drain, but I think above ground foxholes and trenches could work quite well.

Here's a few examples of foxholes that work graphically as 'above ground' (if the WW2 guy is the second pic is kneeling that is).

foxholes.jpg

good argument , good comparison. Agree its a shame losing trenches , they did work pretty well. Some of the AAR screen shoot on trenches dont quiet look as good as your comparison here but its still a good argument for the above ground method as far as aesthetics are concerned.

Re the pimply foxholes: perhaps not making them round would get away from the pimple/mole-hill look.

I cobbled these up over lunch time as an example.

foxhole.jpg

And a quick mock-up:

mockupr.jpg

Even if you didn't want to use sandbags for some reason a square earth mound is perhaps more man-made looking than a round one.

Steve

'Tis true that many images I've seen of WWII foxholes are of more a square/rectangular in shape, than a circular one.

And IIRC, a U.S. Army "by the book" MG pit was actually supposed to be sort of a "U" shape, with the open end of the "U" facing the enemy, so that the MG could be placed in the middle, and the soldiers could move around the "U" to retarget, as necessary.

Representing foxholes as more angular dug-outs might make them appear a little more like something engineered and dug by human hands, rather than "earth pimples," or giant gopher holes.

Regardless, though, I heartily approve of the decision to go with FOW-compliant foxholes and trenches, regardless of the visual compromises.

Cheers,

YD

It was also brought up that they would benefit from being "auto-leveled". In the pic with the foxholes and tank in the German DAR you can see a foxhole at quite the odd angle due to the slope.

Like YD said I really dont care how they look as I want to very much thank BFC for giving us FOW foxholes and trenches.

Googling "foxholes" brought up many images. I found this one arresting as it is the spitting image of what BN is replicating:

http://img206.imageshack.us/i/bulge01rj1.jpg/sr=1

Those were somewhat atypical though.

A representation of a more ideal type of dug in fighting position was this two man foxhole:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/FM/FM7-10/img/FM7-10-37.jpg

This would take time to develop though and I doubt that it was exactly common, especially among armies on the move. Troops just digging in to spend the night were much more likely to come up with something like this:

http://www.oorlogsmusea.nl/upload/2485090909162948.JPG

Michael