Give and Take

Will we see additional corrections for CMSF released in the future along the lines of v1.32?

I know CMSF must eventually be put to bed, however I ask because while v1.31 was a great way to get the v1.21 folks up to speed, it omitted fixes for several of the errors and bugs reported in the "Teeny Weeny Little Bug..." thread.

A few of these issues would outwardly seem to be higher priorities to address than things such as rank icons or displaying scenario time limits on the New Game Screen. For instance, the poor ability for airbursting munitions to inflict casualties on infantry on rooftops.

Like v1.30,v1.31 also "broke" elements of the game that were functioning correctly in previous versions. A recent example being the disappearance of PzF3's from the Marders. For its part, V1.30 introduced a tedious bug relating to the placement of flavor objects.

In addition to the ineffective artillery vs. infantry in/on structures and the lack of PzF3's, here are some other reported bits that didn't make the cut for v1.31...

Multiple Flavor Objects inserted per single click. Working with these things in the editor was never fun, but v1.30 raised the bar on their toilsome nature.

rocksz.jpg

The Spike MR missle does not fly with its nose permanently poised at a twenty degree angle. It also has one exhaust plume.

gilll.jpg

gill2.jpg

Dutch Lieutenants in Recon Platoons are armed with a GPMG? Really?

dutchreccehq.jpg

Continued below...

Doors are visible from the inside of inhabited buildings, but are invisible from the outside of the same buildings.

doorvisible.jpg

doorinvisible.jpg

M707 weapon stations have not been able to rotate since the launch of the game.

m707.jpg

If you think all of that is being "too picky" here's another one. Soldiers manning the Fuchs weapon station do not rotate in relation to the MG3. What's worse, sometimes they do not even rotate at all. The soldier below completely ignored the assigned cover arc.

nofuchs.jpg

I may get rode right out of town for saying something like this, but it seems like more things than usual slipped through the testing, regressed or were reported and not applied to versions 1.30 and 1.31.

Any hope for v1.32? Not so much for the introduction of new things, but rather to fix what we already have or perhaps more accurately, were intended to have.

Soldiers manning the Fuchs weapon station do not rotate in relation to the MG3.

Fuchs (and Weisel and FV432) will only obey a a target arc inside of the weapon's own traverse arc. Which for Fuchs might be something like 80-90 degrees left and right, more-or-less.

M707 optics box is just 'eye candy' and doesn't need to rotate to provide the unbuttoned spotter enhanced spotting ability. If he's unbuttoned he's got the capability.

All ATGMs in the game have that standard single 'exhaust plume', though most ATGMs in fact use mid-body dual rocket thrusters. I've reconciled myself by considering that flame animation a rather pronounced tail guidance flair. :rolleyes:

Yes, there will be a v1.32 and yes we can put in fixes brought up here. However, the LT gets to keep his GPMG because that's what he is supposed to have. Crazy? Well, the Dutch are known for being different. Where else but The Netherlands can someone proudly wear an orange shirt while haggling with a prostitute while high as a kite and not get arrested? :D

Seriously though, that's what I have listed for that particular Recce PLT. I'll double check it just in case.

Steve

Follow up since more posts were made while I was responding...

Yup, some of the issues raised above are perceived rather than actual. Off the top of my head I know the door isn't visible from the outside. Look at the two pics posted again and note the consistency of one (solid everything) and the other (translucent everything). So I'm not seeing anything to fix.

Remember, it is easy to get into a mindset that there are bugs all over the place and then later on find out many are not for one or more reasons. It is also easy to get focused on them and forget about the thousands of things which are working correctly. Lastly, l've seen bug reports for CMx1 games that were only made YEARS after the games were released. Same with CM:SF. With programs with this degree of complexity, bugs will always be around somewhere. I think we've got a better track record than most. Anybody using Windows should be nodding their heads right about now :D

Steve

Steve and MikeyD:

Thank you for your quick replies!

Yes, there will be a v1.32 and yes we can put in fixes brought up here

That's what keeps me coming back again and again. Thank you for your commitment to making sure the "little things" are not ignored - it is truely what sets you guys apart.

However, the LT gets to keep his GPMG because that's what he is supposed to have.

Odd. I am not a Dutch military expert by any stretch. Perhaps one of the folks from the Netherlands here can help us Yanks understand the doctrine on this one. You're right though, they are, well...Dutch.

M707 optics box is just 'eye candy' and doesn't need to rotate to provide the unbuttoned spotter enhanced spotting ability. If he's unbuttoned he's got the capability.

I hear you, but there are lots of things in the game that could be attributed to "eye candy." It struck me as odd that new work was applied to the Nyala and Fuchs gunners, but the woeful M707 got the short end of the stick again.

All ATGMs in the game have that standard single 'exhaust plume', though most ATGMs in fact use mid-body dual rocket thrusters.

Yes, I'm with you on your points here as well, but the attitude of the missle should be corrected for the sake of visual accuracy. With all of the detail jammed into this title it seems lazy not to.

I've reconciled myself by considering that flame animation a rather pronounced tail guidance flair.

:) I like your thought, but I think the extra exhaust jet is the result of the missle not being animated correctly.

My thanks again to you both!

With programs with this degree of complexity, bugs will always be around somewhere. I think we've got a better track record than most.

Absolutely. If I didn't agree I wouldn't be spending my time drafting these posts about a video game.;)

Yup, some of the issues raised above are perceived rather than actual. Off the top of my head I know the door isn't visible from the outside

Maybe I wasn't clear enough on that one. Indeed, when there is infantry inside of a building the walls become semi transparent and the doors and windows become completely transparent. However, if you move the camera inside the occupied building the door reappears fully opaque. It seems inconsistent.

> ...and how about the instant 180 arc hotkey!

Isn't the shift key used for that?

In CMBB it is.

Not in CMSF.

In CMSF its a 360 degree arc.

I do miss this as well, I used it quite often. Maybe they could make the shift key a 180 arc and a double tap shift for the 360 degree arc.

Also when a unit's icon flashes due to taking a casualty, can the time it flashes be made a user selected option. As it is now, it flashes I think for about three seconds. If I could I would change this to like ten seconds or so.