Picking up weapons

Guest Guest

Might be wrong, but I don't think any unit picks up additional ammo via Buddy Aid unless they were previously not carrying the weapon they pick up. When previously unarmed Spies pick up an RPG by rendering BA they gain only 1 or 2 rockets; when they pick up small arms, they get a "Severe" level of ammo.

From my experiences units will regain ammo and weapons after rendering BA, but the will never recover *all* of the ammunition. Usually the unit will recover a small portion equivalent to what your spy picked up.

Theres seems to be a 'better weapon' rule at work in the game. If you've got an M4carbine you might pick up your fallen comrade's SAW, if you're a Brit with an L110A2 (SAW) you might pick up you fallen comrade's L7A2 mmg. I haven't seen soldiers pick up worse weapons for replacements but sometimes you wish your mg team had let that Javelin launcher just lie there.

Don't forget things have changed considerably in CM:Afghanistan. Ammo sharing between units, etc etc. There's every reason to believe those are game engine changes. That means rules for who picks up what in the game now may be different from who picks up what next week. :)

I think an MMG on a fallen friendly unit that is not deployed can be acquired through buddy aid, but one that is deployed and 'abandoned' cannot be remanned by anybody. I have yet to test this though. It would be cool if abandoned MGs can be remanned in CM Normandy because MGs were bigger beasts on the battlefield at that time.

"Crew served" weapons are indeed dead when abandoned. No jumping on that recoilless gun or that DShK hmg after its been abandoned. One assumes going up the firepower food chain no infantryman heroically manning that abandoned 88 AT gun in Normandy either. I vaguely recall hearing (reading) of BFC's active dislike for Theatre of War's decision to let anyone jump into that tank and drive off or man that anti-tank gun. Don't quote me on that though. :rolleyes:

Might be wrong, but I don't think any unit picks up additional ammo via Buddy Aid unless they were previously not carrying the weapon they pick up.

In a current PBEM I was shocked to see one of my regular British infantry units carrying a javelin in the ammo. I thought the only way to get was to acquire erroneously from a vehicle, but then I looked at the equipment list and, lo and behold, there was the CLU.

So it appears that the javelin at least can be picked up by non-javelin specialized infantry units. Not so sure about other heavy weapons though.

This capability might be a hangover from the Stryker units in the core game, or might reflect that the javelin is simple enough to be used by everyone.

Whatever, its a better a clueless CLU user uses a jav than leave $100,000 in equipment lying around the battlefield, right? :D

Weapons grabbing is limited to intra unit (i.e. inside a Team or Squad) if it is a crew served heavy weapon, otherwise weapons/ammo can be picked up from any downed friendly soldier using Buddy Aid.

"Ammo Sharing" is a separate feature between friendly units that are very close by. This is a new feature as of CM: Afghanistan and CM:SF v1.30. It has limitations which one would expect. Units too far apart can't share... units which are under heavy fire can't share... units which are panicked can't share... etc.

Weapons are picked up based on a hardcoded hierarchy of preference, soldier's carrying capacity, and luck. For example, a MMG gunner is at pretty much max carrying capacity when the game starts (assuming normal ammo level). He's also carrying a high priority weapon, therefore it's doubtful he'll pick up anything more than replacement ammo for his MMG. However, if the MMG gunner gets taken out before any rounds fired, it might not be physically possible for the assistant gunner to pick up the MMG even after dropping his own personal weapon because he also (often) has a tripod. So the system checks to see if anybody else in the Team can pick up the MMG. So on and so forth.

We purposefully do not allow "Audie Murphy" style behavior with crew served weapons. The potential for this being realistically seen in the average battle is quite low. The potential for it becoming a "gamey" behavior is quite high. To keep things reasonably realistic would require more coding time than it's worth so we just don't allow it.

Steve

Yes, in theory this can happen. RPGs and Bazookas are not crew served weapons as far as the game is concerned. They are just weapons. Crew served weapons are those which are designed to have dedicated crews 100% of the time, all the time, which do nothing else but serve that weapon. Usually Bazookas, RPGs, Schrecks, etc. are in the hands of a regular infantryman in real life so they aren't the same thing.

Steve