The Peng Challenge Thread – Never Safe to Say

Sir Lars

Hmmm...this place is starting to look too much like a playground for aging, past-their-prime former fanboys, who've been given license (because of their former service to the Crown), to gather together and piss-on in a way all but incomprehensible to anyone who wasn't there in 'the old days'.

So, in an attempt to be 'topical', I'll just say: I can't remember the last time I heard anything good about Shock Force. My understanding is that people are still gamely playing it, and good luck to them. When's the Normandy Expansion Pack expected out, or should I ask Elvis? For half-a-dollar, I'd tell BFC to return to the CMAK engine and do: a) A WWII Early War edition, eh? (get it?) and B) A remake of CMBO with the later engine, and Bjorn Stronginthearm's your uncle!

Now, the whole bit about being 'somehow relevant to the game, without excessively asking how relevant the current game is' having been accomplished, I'll do my very best to make good on the other aspect of our...ummm...'charter', and say this:

Boo Radley! I actually had worked out an entire bit, in which I made mention of your VERY recently deceased father, and how much he cared about you, and then this long, involved bit in which I then said that he'd personally confided to me that he was worried that you might be too much of a little girl, when it came to playing CM, and how he wanted me to watch over you, and make sure that no one was too cruel to you, because you were a big girl's blouse when it came to losing.

But then it occurred to me that the whole thing might be viewed somewhat askance by the 'Others', here, and that there might be many cries of 'Shame! Shame!' and quite possibly cries for a public lynching, from those who simply do not understand the sorts of things that you and I know.

But, having left aside the most obvious path to 'challenging' you (besides those involving personal hygiene, intelligence and whether you actually thought Stuka was amusing), I've decided on this (and I remind you where my sense of humor comes from):

Boo, your Dad's dead. I challenge you to a Memorial Game. If I win, no one will ever remember. And if I lose, no one will ever forget.

I leave all the details up to you.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Waves hand wildly around)

Me! Pick ME!!!!!!!!!

You pretty much immediately sprang to mind. But, I ask myself, could you, in your posts (as me), assume just the right note of intelligence, learning, wisdom, goofiness and utter arrogance?

But then I asked myself, well, where would I be without my Radley, eh?

Oh, and now for the other shoe:

For anyone who can make their miserable, hapless, pointless way to Minnesota on November 20th, the current intent is to have a 'Firefly' marathon at Dalem's. The episodes will start around 10 or 11 am (whenever I can get Dalem to let me in the door), and continue without let-up until we watch 'Serenity'. Since it's a 'theme movie day', there will be food throughout, focusing on fresh fruit (such as strawberries), chinese food, and cowboy food. These are the identified necessary foods, so far.

Episodes will begin with the Pilot (as envisioned by Joss Whedon), and proceed in order (as envisioned by Joss Whedon), and culminate in the movie (as necessitated by the clueless and currently Damned for Eternity bastards of the Fox Network, who failed to recognize greatness, probably because they were too coked out (and busy trying to spin history to fit a right-wing agenda).

Oh, and to the other shoe:

Dalem! I call you to a game, to answer for the sins of your right-wing masters, who were responsible for canceling 'Firefly'. Clearly 'Firefly', with its message concerning 'Small Folk' being trampled upon by a Totalitarian, Fascist, Right-Wing Government with no interest in their health, welfare or rights was cancelled in order to keep an entertainment program from putting the spirit of freedom into the minds of viewers.

Dalem, it's people like you who killed 'Firefly'. I will prove it upon your CM reputation (in previous centuries, this would have read 'body'). May God have mercy upon your heathen soul.

It’s the middle of the night

Near the Indiana line

I’m pulling in a Christian station

The signal’s crystal clear

But I cannot really hear

What he says about the Revelation

I am wretched, I am tired

But the preacher is on fire

And I wish I could believe

Whoever watches over all these truckers

Show a little mercy for a weary sinner

And deliver me – Lord, deliver me

Deliver me to the next best western

Did he who made the lamb

Put the tremble in the hand

That reaches out to take my quarter

I look him in the eye

But there isn’t any time

Just time enough to pass the tender

The highway takes its toll

The green light flashes go

And it’s welcome to Ohio

But it takes light years of nothing

To let these stars shine through

It's an empty road that finds it's

Way back home to you.

At four a.m. on 80 East

It’s in the nature of the beast

To wonder if there’s something missing

I am wretched, I am tired

But the preacher is on fire

And I wish I could believe

The Next Best Western

-Richard Shindell

I can't remember the last time I heard anything good about Shock Force.

Then you haven't been reading the proper threads. (Noted: I haven't observed the word 'proper' in your vocabulary; either look it up or just struggle through.) Players, or at least the ones in Europe, seem ecstatic over CMSF:NATO and generally satisfied with the other modules as well. There is naturally the usual nit-picking as an ongoing experience, but BFC seems to have addressed the major issues adequately.

The first of the WW II game families is due to debut probably (this is my guess mind you; BFC has made no hard and fast promises) sometime around the end of this year or possibly early next year. You would already know all this if you would get the lead out and try reading the outre boards sometime. It is a source of interest and even occasional amusement, the latter due almost entirely to my own efforts...as usual.

Michael

Episodes will begin with the Pilot (as envisioned by Joss Whedon), and proceed in order (as envisioned by Joss Whedon), and culminate in the movie (as necessitated by the clueless and currently Damned for Eternity bastards of the Fox Network, who failed to recognize greatness, probably because they were too coked out (and busy trying to spin history to fit a right-wing agenda).

A minor footnote: Nathan Fillion, whom you may remember was the star in Firefly/Serenity, is currently co-starring in a series called Castle on ABC. It is far and away the best of that kind of thing currently running on tv. Even if you are not overly fond of mystery/detective shows, you should try this one just for the interplay of the cast. Plus, there are occasional references to aforesaid Firefly/Serenity tossed in to thrill the cognoscenti. They will no doubt have you squealing with delight. Or something.

Michael

Hmmm...this place is starting to look too much like a playground for aging, past-their-prime former fanboys, who've been given license (because of their former service to the Crown), to gather together and piss-on in a way all but incomprehensible to anyone who wasn't there in 'the old days'.

So, in an attempt to be 'topical', I'll just say: I can't remember the last time I heard anything good about Shock Force. My understanding is that people are still gamely playing it, and good luck to them. When's the Normandy Expansion Pack expected out, or should I ask Elvis? For half-a-dollar, I'd tell BFC to return to the CMAK engine and do: a) A WWII Early War edition, eh? (get it?) and B) A remake of CMBO with the later engine, and Bjorn Stronginthearm's your uncle!

Now, the whole bit about being 'somehow relevant to the game, without excessively asking how relevant the current game is' having been accomplished, I'll do my very best to make good on the other aspect of our...ummm...'charter', and say this:

Boo Radley! I actually had worked out an entire bit, in which I made mention of your VERY recently deceased father, and how much he cared about you, and then this long, involved bit in which I then said that he'd personally confided to me that he was worried that you might be too much of a little girl, when it came to playing CM, and how he wanted me to watch over you, and make sure that no one was too cruel to you, because you were a big girl's blouse when it came to losing.

But then it occurred to me that the whole thing might be viewed somewhat askance by the 'Others', here, and that there might be many cries of 'Shame! Shame!' and quite possibly cries for a public lynching, from those who simply do not understand the sorts of things that you and I know.

But, having left aside the most obvious path to 'challenging' you (besides those involving personal hygiene, intelligence and whether you actually thought Stuka was amusing), I've decided on this (and I remind you where my sense of humor comes from):

Boo, your Dad's dead. I challenge you to a Memorial Game. If I win, no one will ever remember. And if I lose, no one will ever forget.

I leave all the details up to you.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... whatever.

I just don't see why you get all worried about stuff like this because it's not as if anyone really reads what you write here.

It's amusing in a sad, little way how you and Joe compose and construct your posts so carefully, when you're really only doing it for your own amusement (Not that there's anything WRONG with that, so long as you wash your hands when you're done).

Memorial game, you say? Do you want to just continue the game you bailed on a year and a half ago? I may still have the last file sitting around somewhere.

I figure what with your limited attention span, why go to the trouble of setting up something new? You're probably going to bail on this game after a few desultory turns, anyway.

You're sort of like the slow-witted child at the family reunion who the relatives keep busy by giving him a jigsaw puzzle with most of the pieces missing. They realize it doesn't much matter because the child will only keep at it for a few minutes and when he next returns, won't remember that he'd been working on it before.

Sad, really.

Oh, and now for the other shoe:

For anyone who can make their miserable, hapless, pointless way to Minnesota on November 20th, the current intent is to have a 'Firefly' marathon at Dalem's. The episodes will start around 10 or 11 am (whenever I can get Dalem to let me in the door), and continue without let-up until we watch 'Serenity'. Since it's a 'theme movie day', there will be food throughout, focusing on fresh fruit (such as strawberries), chinese food, and cowboy food. These are the identified necessary foods, so far.

Think I can make it at about 8:00 AM Sunday morning.

I'll bring the noisemakers.

For half-a-dollar...

...you'll do just about anything right? I have a shiney coin for you young gnome...I want you to caper for me, yes that's it...caper....and cavort.

If you can throw in a curvet and a gambol and keep a jolly grin on your face whilst doing so i'll consider a shiney nickel as a bonus.

You pretty much immediately sprang to mind. But, I ask myself, could you, in your posts (as me), assume just the right note of intelligence, learning, wisdom, goofiness and utter arrogance?

Oh, yeah. On the off chance that someone, at some point, might just actually bother to read what was written under your name, I'll just do a cut and paste from some psychotic's drug enhanced blog, or the "Steel-Eye Span Complete Lyrics For People With No Clear Grasp of Reality" Website.

That should cover my tracks.

Several cherry bombs or M80s should work nicely. Tossed through dalem's bedroom window of course. He probably won't even need his usual morning coffee.

Michael

Umm...I am pretty much a lunatic, in my own way, and much given to risible japes of all types, and not much given to thinking things through thoroughly but instead going with the moment, as it were, but I'm here to tell you: I would think long, hard and with a serious effort at sober cogitation before I just started throwing things that explode through Dalem's windows.

I mean, unless they were serious freaking things that explode, like backpacks full of C4 that were unlikely to leave survivors.

Because I'm pretty sure that Dalem would return a fuller measure of ****e. Something as simple and pointless as an M80 would be like admitting you were an evolutionary dead-end.

...you'll do just about anything right? I have a shiney coin for you young gnome...I want you to caper for me, yes that's it...caper....and cavort.

If you can throw in a curvet and a gambol and keep a jolly grin on your face whilst doing so i'll consider a shiney nickel as a bonus.

Ah! Australia has finally published it's first Standard English Thesaurus, I see. Must be the Brit version. Heavy on the anachronisms, but filled with whimsy. How delightful.

Umm...I am pretty much a lunatic, in my own way, and much given to risible japes of all types, and not much given to thinking things through thoroughly but instead going with the moment, as it were, but I'm here to tell you: I would think long, hard and with a serious effort at sober cogitation before I just started throwing things that explode through Dalem's windows.

I mean, unless they were serious freaking things that explode, like backpacks full of C4 that were unlikely to leave survivors.

Because I'm pretty sure that Dalem would return a fuller measure of ****e. Something as simple and pointless as an M80 would be like admitting you were an evolutionary dead-end.

Aw shucks. I was hoping you were too far gone to notice. Well, maybe in another month or two...

Michael

Aw shucks. I was hoping you were too far gone to notice. Well, maybe in another month or two...

Michael

Good attempt, well thought out, could work next time. Give it 3 months, that's about as long as I retain anything that's simply 'life-threatening' these days.

I can tell you things that my Small Friends have said for half a year afterwards, at least, but those 'don't stick your tongue into the extension light cord socket to see if there's current' moments quite escape me after 3 months.

For that matter, I can't remember not to got up to Dalem's place after only two weeks.

Of course, there's none that'll avoid poison if it's humorous enough.

Ha! After working out the last few days re-familiarizing myself with Combat Mission, I finally fought the AI to a draw. That means that I'm more than ready to beat Dalem like a gong. I'm figuring CMAK (This is, to remain topical to our Thread, CMSF Vers. -1), Him as Germans in an Axis Probe (get him confused by his own fevered Fascist fantasies), and myself as stalwart New Zealanders, defending against him in Italy.

I am an Olde One.

In the same way that Paris Hilton's privy parts are.

We're tired of hearing about them, no one wants to see them, and no one pays any attention to them anymore.

Hang a small chihuahua dog out your arse, and you could have your own Reality TV Show.