Safe distance?

[contains some slight spoilers}

I just played the two demo scenarios and am now beginning the early campaign.

I see I have to attack the same village, but with a slightly different force.

In the demo, as well as in the campaign, I lose a few BMP's to RPG's during the initial attack phase, where I drove them to about 100 metres from the town walls, and I wondered whether to just accept it, or should I keep more distance with my vehicles? (That will give me higher infantry losses during their advance).

Do you generally use some 'safe distances' with your infantry vehicles?

I guess BPR's should be hidden away, but I noticed in CMSF Strikers could usually survive when keeping some distance.

I did what I would in real life;

get some high ground at a distance, move infantry forward to get the mujas to shoot at me, shoot back in overwhelming force with bmps, wait 5 mins for all of the artillery to fall on the village, watch the mujas try to escape, pick them off at a distance, ALL DONE AT DISTANCE, no rushing in.

I did what I would in real life;

get some high ground at a distance, move infantry forward to get the mujas to shoot at me, shoot back in overwhelming force with bmps, wait 5 mins for all of the artillery to fall on the village, watch the mujas try to escape, pick them off at a distance, ALL DONE AT DISTANCE, no rushing in.

oddly enough, same here, only occupied the mosque and 2 more houses

Were you able to get onto the high ground on the Soviet right flank? I tried numerous times with multiple waypoints and could not get any inf up there at all, even tho I moved the cursor over the path and it seemed passable.

The grey terrain is impassable, if you look carefully you'll see that there is no break in the grey terrain. The cursor and cliffs has allways been a bit dodgy since CMx1

No not traversable, but there is one nice mg position there.

I also managed to get 1 mounted platoon to the left under supportive fire, without losing any man. Then I completely surrounded the village and the poor Mujahideens were trapped like rats. Never felt so cruel in any CMSF mission, mowing the Mujahs that tried to escape down with BMP's and there was nothing they could do.

I was only sad that I couldn't manage to get an ATGM out of these BMP's, as I had a building full of enemies that were begging for it.

In the demo is just parked the shilka in front of the village and send one mounted squad forward. They suffered like 1 wounded orso, the Shilka did the rest. It takes down walls, its really a beast :)

I tried the tactics with a fast move of one platoon over the left flank.

The smoke was disappointing (very few smoke grenades), but I made it all intact, with one missing shot of an RPG from the town.

Then I was indeed able to kill the escaping Mujaheddeen, but it didn't feel good, because I realised that these pixeltruppen were following a scripted battleplan that was highly inappropriate in this situation.

While advancing infantry to provoke a reaction, I lost more men than I liked (one from each section).

And in the end I couldn't resist to try out my engineers blasting themselves into the Mosque. They took the Mosque, but were almost wiped out by fire from the opposite side.

Still gained a major victory, but in the worst possible way, namely with losses in my core units.

I'm afraid I will have to do this again for the sake of the campaign.

Yeah if they had ATGM's or even RPG 7's it would be a different sorry. My crew served and vehicles were pouring it on from the hills with my infantry was pulled back 100m waiting out the artillery when the Muj's surrendered. Never even got close to entering the village.

I didn't go in knowing they had no decent AT. It was only after I put a couple a BMPs in the hills with nothing shooting back that I moved them all up there. I was all deployed to go in as soon as the artillery lifted through a breach from the engineers, but never got the chance.