Purchased the full game plus Marines, I'm in the fight!

After tinkering with the demo the past week I bought the CMSF bundle with the Marines add on! Wicked.

Figuring out modding a bit too, defnitely not the easy BMP folder of the old CM but it made sense after a few tries. I modded my Marine unifroms to the woodland marpat. I think I want to make them with desert camo helmets and gear and have the underlying unis green. Kinda like what we saw in Iraq in the first few weeks on the second go round. Always liked that mismatched look for some reason. I like having the Marines a different color from regular army troops.

Anyway, here's another question. Are most of you dismounting your troops right away and moving them in recon in front of your vehicles or do you just dismount one squad and keep the rest protected as you move or keep them all on the IFVs for movement? Curious on the benefits or drawbacks, it seems if one of my Strykers is hit by an ATGM or RPG it will make a mess of the squad inside right quick like. So is it better to get them out to move by foot or leave them inside?

Opinions?

Yeah, the applying of mods takes some getting used to, but is much better once you figure it out.

I dismount any infantry and tend to clear them of any useful ammo. The vehicles are then parked in relative safety or behind the infantry to provide fire support. Never give the RPGs a chance at a shot at your vehicles. You don't need to with the range vehicle weapons have.

Forget tactics, just use the infamous gamey tank rush. They wont stand a chance :D

With Abrams tanks this actually isn't a bad tactic in some scenarios. Just make sure the front faces the bad guys at all times. :D

Except that in the scenarios where the enemy has AT-14s and/or RPG-29s, they usually have enough of them to leave you wishing you hadn't attempted the infamous gamey tank rush. :cool:

And one usually doesn't have all that many tanks to begin with.

Oh man am I loving this game. Can't believe it took me so long to finally get into it. Kinda glad I waited til all the kinks were ironed out though!

I'm playing the madrassa scenario with the U.S. Marines. Can I just fawn over the Marines for a minute? Just a minute?? Wow. I'm blown away.

Gpig, totally down for some PBEM and mid-August will be great. Gives me some time to get more familiar, practice tactics, and just get a general better feel for everything. I better get some experience with the Syrians too eh?

They are literally a "blast"!! USMC cheer'um on!!

I do look forward to the Brits now too but I'm going to wait a while and get through what I have first! You know, prolong the excitement and fun! Afghanistan certainly has me interested now too. Playing both the Russians or the Mujahadeen sounds really interesting! And of course then there's the whole NATO expansion....LOL!!!

Seriously, I just need to focus and concentrate on what I have and learn them first. :) I just had to try a Marine battle or two but want to get through a bunch of the original game before getting too into the Marines. Man, they're awesome though!

Paper Tiger, looking forward to playing a few of your scenarios too!

I'm currently playing the Marines campaign and re-loving it all over again. Definitely the best module out of the existing three in my honest opinion. The British module is as hard as nails. You just wait and see. I can't believe how under-armed and under-powered they seem in comparison to the US. It makes me wonder how on earth the British forces are able to do anythng at all in Afghanistan.

I'm currently playing the Marines campaign and re-loving it all over again. Definitely the best module out of the existing three in my honest opinion. The British module is as hard as nails. You just wait and see. I can't believe how under-armed and under-powered they seem in comparison to the US. It makes me wonder how on earth the British forces are able to do anythng at all in Afghanistan.

welcome to europe ;)

Thanks everyone again!

I do feel like I'm starting to slightly get a hang of things for sure. Much more comfortable but still learning!

I finished the Madrassa scenario on Veteran difficulty and did just fine. It was a total U.S. Victory.

At the end I had 129 men ok

2 KIA

7 WIA

1 vehicle destroyed

The Syrians on the other hand only had 16 men left ok

39 KIA

37 WIA

21 missing

6 vehicles destroyed.

Not too bad! I'd say that's a pretty good performance and certainly makes me feel I'm getting the hang of it.

The scenario ended right as my reinforcements came up so I didn't even need or use them.

Do you all use recon by fire in the modern era? Is it effective or a waste of ammo? Should I wait til an enemy is exposed and then just hammer away or do you use recon by fire in suspected areas?

Do you all use recon by fire in the modern era? Is it effective or a waste of ammo? Should I wait til an enemy is exposed and then just hammer away or do you use recon by fire in suspected areas?

Recon by fire is very useful in CM:SF. Firing on a suspected enemy position can sometimes cause them to fire back, exposing themselves. I try to use the MGs on my vehicles to do this. They have a ton of MG ammo and the inf could use theirs for when the real firefight starts. Make sure you're using the "Target Light" command with the vehicles.

Phantom, I haven't played that mission myself but I would say that's acceptable for a single scenario. Consider these attrition rates over the campaign of some dozen missions however and you're in for a rough ride. Furthermore, if you take damage to any of your heavies (or men for that matter) it will follow you through. It get's really difficult latterly, especially if you want to play it 'responsibly' :D

I had all 3 of my M1A1's damaged in some shape of form in my last mission, and I lost a LAV early on in the campaign. I also had a crewman shot by a sniper - this is reflected throughout. I've got one LAV with only 2 crew members - and 3 M1A1's with damage and hardly any ammunition! It really sucks :D

phil,

Wow, that's a scary thought! Yeah, now I see what you mean, for one battle it's good but over the long haul attrition will definitely catch up! I think I'm going to concentrate on refining my tactics through single battles before starting the campaign.

Definitely hear ya on the recon by fire. It's like the old saying, tracers work both ways.