1SG Element?

Hello all,

My apologies if this has been posted before. I did a quick search and came up empty.

I seem to not see the First Sergeant element of company sized units being represented. Is there a reason for this or have I just missed this part of the game?

I am kicking around an idea for my first campaign design. My Army experience showed me that "Top" was an important part of the company. It would be neat to add this element to a campaign.

TIA!

:)

I seem to not see the First Sergeant element of company sized units being represented. Is there a reason for this or have I just missed this part of the game?

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question. But I reckon someone round here knows.

I am kicking around an idea for my first campaign design. My Army experience showed me that "Top" was an important part of the company. It would be neat to add this element to a campaign.

So what's this your campaign idea of yours? I, for one, would dig hearing about it. :)

Palmyra/Tadmur... Parachute assault followed by an air delivered Stryker brigade.

Temple of Bel being a map and an objective.

I wrote the background info with a Company 1st Sergeant being the 'character'. Perhaps I should have looked before I leaped? LOL

---

I am still learning the editor. Making test scenarios, trying to figure out the AI editor, etc... And the MAPS. Oy Vey.

Does BFC got your back if messing around with this thing causes divorce? :)

Sounds like a scenario/campaign I'd dig playing. =)

It's perfectly understandable -- what with the fairly frustrating state of CMSF before the v1.10 patch, as well as the greater interesting-ness of the USMC and British forces -- that very few Stryker-oriented scenarios have been made since, well, v1.10. Even so, I think that with the current scenario designers' greater skill and greater familiarity with the editor, the Stryker forces could use a revisiting, to see what interesting scenarios can be created using them.

But since I can't just wait for others to do so, even if they'd do a far better job than me, I've started work on my first entirely custom scenario, which features a Stryker infantry company (minus one infantry platoon but reinforced with a platoon of combat engineers and supported by A-10s and a section of SBCT howitzers) assaulting an airfield in northeastern Syria.

1SGT is assigned to the Company XO Team. If the LT gets taken out he takes over control of the Team.

Unfortunately, CMx2 doesn't support dual Formation HQs, so the XO Team is mostly in there for show whereas in real life the XO would often take control of 1/2 the platoon, or the weapons, or something like that while the CO took control of something else.

Steve

It's perfectly understandable...that very few Stryker-oriented scenarios have been made since, well, v1.10.

Ha! I have been thinking along those lines lately as well. The Strykers are really good fun to use and I like the MG. I REALLY want to do something with the US Heavy Mech Infantry group as well. I've got some ideas for doing some 'macro-scenarios' along the lines of my early 3-mission Perdition campaign for each of these under used formations. Once NATO is out of the way of course...

It's perfectly understandable...that very few Stryker-oriented scenarios have been made since, well, v1.10.

Ha! I have been thinking along those lines lately as well. The Strykers are really good fun to use and I like the MG. I REALLY want to do something with the US Heavy Mech Infantry group as well. I've got some ideas for doing some 'macro-scenarios' along the lines of my early 3-mission Perdition campaign for each of these under used formations. Once NATO is out of the way of course...

I'm sure I'd love playing any SBCT or HBCT scenario(s)/campaign(s) you'd make, PT. :D

Nonetheless, I mean to finally contribute something back to the CM/CMSF community by designing and publishing scenarios of my own. I'm learning as I go (also thanks in large part to the excellent example of other scenario designers and George McEwan's design guide), and it's a slow and not-always-steady process, but it's only a matter of time...

:eek: Great minds think alike! HBCT units were going to be the focus of MY next campaign! :D

The more, the merrier, right?

1SGT is assigned to the Company XO Team. If the LT gets taken out he takes over control of the Team.

Unfortunately, CMx2 doesn't support dual Formation HQs, so the XO Team is mostly in there for show whereas in real life the XO would often take control of 1/2 the platoon, or the weapons, or something like that while the CO took control of something else.

Steve

Thanks for the scoop. Knowing this, it is safe to assume that the 'other guy' in a Battalion XO team is the Sergeant Major?

I think it is going to be tough to work the E-8/E-9's into a scenario and have them be of real value or purpose in the game.

Hmmmm.... :)

No, as a general rule of thumb the SGM is making sure the rear services aren't sitting around drinking beer (or Tea for Brits, Whiskey for Canadians, Schnapps for Germans, smoking pot for the Dutch ;)) while the fight goes on. So all the units that aren't shown in the game, because they are outside of our scope, has one kick-ass Mo-Fo keeping them doing what they are supposed to do.

Obviously jobs on the battlefield are never so clear cut, but we have to draw some hard lines simply for game convention reasons.

Steve

No, as a general rule of thumb the SGM is making sure the rear services aren't sitting around drinking beer (or Tea for Brits, Whiskey for Canadians, Schnapps for Germans, smoking pot for the Dutch ;)) while the fight goes on. So all the units that aren't shown in the game, because they are outside of our scope, has one kick-ass Mo-Fo keeping them doing what they are supposed to do.

Obviously jobs on the battlefield are never so clear cut, but we have to draw some hard lines simply for game convention reasons.

Steve

Thanks. Makes sense. It is true that if we saw the Sergeant Major while in the field, we were usually in trouble. :)

All I have to say is we have a Dutch Army tester and he absolutely doing his part to keep the Dutch height average up there at the top. In fact, I think he's probably balancing out three Dutch people who are 1.25m tall :D How he fits into an armored vehicle I'll never know!

Related story, a Marines S4 friend of mine said when he was in Fallujah he wouldn't let one of his guys drive in Humvees. Something like 6'5" and NOT a skinny twig. My friend figured that if the vehicle was ever hit by an IED they would never be able to get him out of it without ripping the top off. So this NCO was required to ride around in 7 ton trucks instead :)

Steve