Unnatural

I haven't played Shock Force as yet but I have noticed on the screenshots units KIA seem to have the same body position as the next unit (unrealistic/unnatural) and also I've noticed that smoke still seems to flow in only one direction ala CMX1.

I know one could argue that these things don't impact on playability, but for a game that puts so much emphasis on realism and details it does tend to make one sit up and notice and wonder if perhaps these things were deemed unimportant or just simply overlooked.

I've read in these forums that it's the little things that keep people coming back to this game time and again, which I understand from playing CMX1 games and the first time I played CMBO and seeing those little Infantry heads turning side to side, although not required as such made you notice the little touches (besides others) like this that made me appreciate BFC and the game even more.

Anybody else notice or even bothered, it's not a big deal either way but just something I thought I would bring to BFCs attention for consideration in future modules perhaps?:)

I've noticed that smoke still seems to flow in only one direction ala CMX1.
Do you mean that the wind direction does not change during a battle?

As for casualties: I watched a "T72 Balkans on Fire" video today and it appeared to me as if there was burning figures jumping out of a hit tank and rolling around on the ground, still burning. That was pretty gruesome ...

Best regards,

Thomm

I was wondering whether wind direction actually makes a difference to smoke in SF this time around as in CMX1 IIRC it didn't. I'm also referring to post death animation position being or seeming the same, but this may have changed since the screenshots in updates.

Also have or are Smoke Grenades being considered for any future module?

I was wondering whether wind direction actually makes a difference to smoke in SF this time around as in CMX1 IIRC it didn't.

There is an entry for wind direction in the data section of the scenario editor. I guess it is taken into account correctly within the game.

Also have or are Smoke Grenades being considered for any future module?

For infantry? They are already in!

Best regards,

Thomm

Well, about corpses lying on the ground I remember once a full sirian squad, five or six guys, in a ditch. Everybody heading in the same direction and with the same posture. Ok, this doesn't affect the game as a simulation. But it looked quite funny.

Add a couple more positions, if this doesn't take too much time, would be nice.

I was wondering whether wind direction actually makes a difference to smoke in SF this time around

Yes, it makes a big difference in-game, or more approproately, a BIG difference! If you pop smoke into a strong facing wind you're going to find yourself without cover in a very short amount of time. Pop smoke into still wind or a gentle wind coming from behind and you'll have cover to spare. Plus there's the different types of smoke used - IR blocking, etc., and WP which tends to rise up instead of hugging the ground... plus you may suffer a couple casualties trying to walk thru it. :)

You can download the Shock Force demo here -

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1336&Itemid=318

and check it out yourself. CM:Normandy is building on the features already in CM:SF

Thanks for the tip but I'm unable to test the demo as I'm using a Mac and there is no Mac version available unfortunately. Perhaps the new Normandy module will cater for Mac, if not I will have to start saving the pennies for a PC.:D

Thanks for the tip but I'm unable to test the demo as I'm using a Mac and there is no Mac version available unfortunately. Perhaps the new Normandy module will cater for Mac, if not I will have to start saving the pennies for a PC.:D

If you have an Intel Mac (I don't at the moment), you can create a Windows partition on your hard drive and run it under that. I myself am presently toying with the idea of getting an iMac for just that reason, but I haven't decided on a model yet.

Michael

My Mac is also pre intel so that option isn't available to me either, if only CMX2 was available for PS3 console. I know most unlikely, but somebody mentioned another game called 'Ruse' for PS3 which looks and seems very promising and it only takes one company with the vision and determination to get the ball rolling (so to speak) I guess.;)

Even when we get a Mac version I think people with pre-Intel Macs might have problems. Either because processor speed is not sufficient or the graphics cards aren't. I suppose a top of the line G5 (last one was made nearly 4 years ago!) with a top of the line video card (do they even make drivers for G5s any more?) may work out pretty well. High end G4s are probably just barely in the ballpark, but again I have to wonder about video card driver support.

Steve

I haven't played Shock Force as yet but I have noticed on the screenshots units KIA seem to have the same body position as the next unit (unrealistic/unnatural) and also I've noticed that smoke still seems to flow in only one direction ala CMX1.

I know one could argue that these things don't impact on playability, but for a game that puts so much emphasis on realism and details it does tend to make one sit up and notice and wonder if perhaps these things were deemed unimportant or just simply overlooked.

I've read in these forums that it's the little things that keep people coming back to this game time and again, which I understand from playing CMX1 games and the first time I played CMBO and seeing those little Infantry heads turning side to side, although not required as such made you notice the little touches (besides others) like this that made me appreciate BFC and the game even more.

Anybody else notice or even bothered, it's not a big deal either way but just something I thought I would bring to BFCs attention for consideration in future modules perhaps?:)

If I remember correctly, wind effects several things:

-the direction and speed of smoke (something to keep in mind when making a smoke screen).

-It also effects munitions, I don't know if it's all of them, but strong wind can strongly effect accuracy for weapons like RPGs or early ATGMs.

As far as new KIA positions, that requires new fall animations, which are never any fun to make and hard to make look good. So while it is noticeable that there are only two, I don't think BF has enough people to spend time adding more when they probably have more gameplay impacting stuff to add.

I must say i never noticed this until i read this thread. It doesn't bother me at all to be honest, ok it looks a bit weird if an entire squad gets wiped out in the same spot, but i never spend lots of time looking at the dead bodies lol. And after playing so much CMx1 its just great to have dead bodies ;)